Does Grey Rod looking like an ace and the potential of Means coming back diminish the pressure for another starter?

Gurgi

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What? You want a guarantee?   Sorry I don't think you will get one.   Means is projected to return in Sept.  Will he?  

No, I was legitimately asking if there has been news on his rehab that I missed.

I would not project a return date for Means before he starts a rehab assignment somewhere. You stated September as if it was a fact he’d be back then. I think it’s anyone’s guess at this point. On top of that, it’s unlikely he gets immediately inserted into the rotation even if he does return. 

Edited by ChuckS

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

No, I was legitimately asking if there has been news on his rehab that I missed.

I would not project a return date for Means before he starts a rehab assignment somewhere. You stated September as if it was a fact he’d be back then. I think it’s anyone’s guess at this point. On top of that, it’s unlikely he gets immediately inserted into the rotation even if he does return. 

I expect that Means will rehab as a starter.  I  think he will begin games in the minors and then when the rotation expands he will start games for the O's in a 6 man rotation.

From Orioles.com July 28th:

LHP John Means (Tommy John surgery)
Expected return: Early September
Means is getting close to game action, as general manager Mike Elias said on July 28 that the 30-year-old left-hander should start pitching in the Rookie-level Florida Complex League in early August. That could put Means on a trajectory to return to the big leagues by early September.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-injuries-and-roster-moves

• Upvote 1

Give me 7 quality starters, please.  Those that aren't in the rotation can "hopefully" get guys out coming out of the bullpen.  We have to stop acting like we "might" have enough pitching.  We don't.....and there's not much down on the farm.

Side note - I was at the Tides game Friday night, and Povich didn't make it out of the 3rd inning.  He walked 4 just in 2 1/3 innings, including the leadoff batter in the first and third innings.  After another walk and a hit in the third, he gave up a grand slam to Keston Huira.......again, after walking the 9th batter to start the inning.  Dudes gotta throw strikes, and Povich wasn't throwing many.  I don't get it.......

I'll also add that Joey Ortiz had 3 very professional looking at bats, especially going to the right side when he needed to get a run in from third.  He's a keeper.....if possible.  Also, Norby is the real deal with the bat.  The Tides are a fun team to watch right now.....love the talent!!  Like the O's, they need pitching.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I expect that Means will rehab as a starter.  I  think he will begin games in the minors and then when the rotation expands he will start games for the O's in a 6 man rotation.

From Orioles.com July 28th:

LHP John Means (Tommy John surgery)
Expected return: Early September
Means is getting close to game action, as general manager Mike Elias said on July 28 that the 30-year-old left-hander should start pitching in the Rookie-level Florida Complex League in early August. That could put Means on a trajectory to return to the big leagues by early September.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-injuries-and-roster-moves

Although a six-man rotation is possible, I don’t see that happening with wins being at a premium down the stretch. Whether or not Means gets placed in the rotation all depends on how he looks in rehab, IMO. But also depends on how the rest of the starters are throwing at the time of his return. Lots of variables, including what we do in the next two days. 

Edited by ChuckS

14 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Were not looking for a Game 1 starter...we couldn't give up what it takes to get one...we need relief...and maybe a hope that Means can give us something decent...

Let’s say we get the first round bye and end up playing a New York or Houston in the second round. Who are we trotting out there as our game one and game 4 starter?

The Os have the 3rd longest World Series drought in all of baseball! I’m for going for it all this year, not just being sustainable for the next 3-4 years. 

2 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Let’s say we get the first round bye and end up playing a New York or Houston in the second round. Who are we trotting out there as our game one and game 4 starter?

The Os have the 3rd longest World Series drought in all of baseball! I’m for going for it all this year, not just being sustainable for the next 3-4 years. 

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

It goes to guys being content with our currency roster. Sure the rotation has performed more than adequately so far but it is not going to take us far in the playoffs. We already are seeing the wearing down of the rotation. Come October I highly doubt we have a true arm to help us win a series.