Kevin Brown

Srey

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I literally had to turn that off after “dawn’s early light.”   That was pitiful.  Why they even do the anthem during the home run derby is beyond me.  They don’t play it at the circus.  

You pretty much have to play the anthem at every sporting (or quasi-sporting event) or else explain why you're not really anti-American. Ridiculous, but that's where we are. I haven't been to a circus for a very long time, but I wouldn't be surprised if the anthem is played there. 

My gripe with the anthem, other than the overuse that saps its meaning and the widespread lack of knowledge of what it says and understanding of how it fits into our history, is the way it's presented. The point of the anthem is to celebrate and explicitly mark our shared pride and loyalty as Americans. I don't think we do that very effectively (with occasional exceptions like the Olympics). 

Most other national anthems -- all of them, so far as I know, but I haven't studied it -- are sung by the people from that country who have gathered for the event (and anyone else who wants to join in). They have come together to the arena/field/pitch/etc. , and they sing their anthem together, sometimes spontaneously during or after the event, marking something they have in common. Makes sense to me.

We don't sing our anthem. I assume, but don't know, that's because it's so difficult to sing. So instead of being an occasion where we all join in to celebrate our common attachment to our country, we stand there like wooden soldiers while the anthem is performed by a singer, singing group, or instrumentalists (in which case the words are dispensed with). Often the performer or performers feel a need to make a statement and gain attention by not merely singing the anthem, but instead by putting their own touches on the melody, the tempo, the phrasing or the arrangement. In many of those cases (I would say most, but it's partly a matter of taste), the result is not good, either aesthetically or in terms of the purpose for which the anthem is presented.

I can recall two athletic events I have attended,  one indoor and one outdoor, where the sound system failed and the players and crowd sang the national anthem. The performance wasn't great, but the group singing, with its imperfection, meant something to me that listening to a "new" rendition, performed drunk or sober or high or straight, does not. Not quite like "La Marseillais" in Casablanca, but at least we were participating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

It explains a lot, yeah, considering she's a 4-time Grammy winner. 

Side note, if I'm a singer doing the anthem, I'm requiring someone in my in-ears playing reference notes on the key if I start to drift. That would have helped her a lot. Most people just go up there and let it rip and that's great, but on a national broadcast I'm not taking any chances. 

I'll never understand trying to sing it accapella.  That song is hard enough to keep in key with accompanying music.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

You pretty much have to play the anthem at every sporting (or quasi-sporting event) or else explain why you're not really anti-American. Ridiculous, but that's where we are. I haven't been to a circus for a very long time, but I wouldn't be surprised if the anthem is played there. 

My gripe with the anthem, other than the overuse that saps its meaning and the widespread lack of knowledge of what it says and understanding of how it fits into our history, is the way it's presented. The point of the anthem is to celebrate and explicitly mark our shared pride and loyalty as Americans. I don't think we do that very effectively (with occasional exceptions like the Olympics). 

Most other national anthems -- all of them, so far as I know, but I haven't studied it -- are sung by the people from that country who have gathered for the event (and anyone else who wants to join in). They have come together to the arena/field/pitch/etc. , and they sing their anthem together, sometimes spontaneously during or after the event, marking something they have in common. Makes sense to me.

We don't sing our anthem. I assume, but don't know, that's because it's so difficult to sing. So instead of being an occasion where we all join in to celebrate our common attachment to our country, we stand there like wooden soldiers while the anthem is performed by a singer, singing group, or instrumentalists (in which case the words are dispensed with). Often the performer or performers feel a need to make a statement and gain attention by not merely singing the anthem, but instead by putting their own touches on the melody, the tempo, the phrasing or the arrangement. In many of those cases (I would say most, but it's partly a matter of taste), the result is not good, either aesthetically or in terms of the purpose for which the anthem is presented.

I can recall two athletic events I have attended,  one indoor and one outdoor, where the sound system failed and the players and crowd sang the national anthem. The performance wasn't great, but the group singing, with its imperfection, meant something to me that listening to a "new" rendition, performed drunk or sober or high or straight, does not. Not quite like "La Marseillais" in Casablanca, but at least we were participating. 

Really? I sing along with the anthem at sporting events. I surely can't be the only one.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really?  I’m sorry to hear that, but at least it explains the performance.  

Does it? I work with a lot of musicians and alcohol can surely affect your performance, but I don’t know any that missed half their notes because of drinking. Other substances, maybe, or if you’re fall-down drunk (been there, seen it) but she didn’t look that bad.

I saw there was initially some blame towards failed AutoTune, but I heard no evidence of that being used on her attempt. 

Edited by InsideCoroner

2 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

Really? I sing along with the anthem at sporting events. I surely can't be the only one.

You're not the only one, but there aren't many of us. The announcers encourage us to watch and listen, not to sing. I'm generally the only one near me singing, as opposed to moving my lips a little. Sometimes it's really difficult because of the way the performer has altered the song.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I literally had to turn that off after “dawn’s early light.”   That was pitiful.  Why they even do the anthem during the home run derby is beyond me.  They don’t play it at the circus.  

They dont have circuses anymore either.

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Does it? I work with a lot of musicians and alcohol can surely affect your performance, but I don’t know any that missed half their notes because of drinking. Other substances, maybe, or if you’re fall-down drunk (been there, seen it) but she didn’t look that bad.

I saw there was initially some blame towards failed AutoTune, but I heard no evidence of that being used on her attempt. 

Word from someone that claimed to be at the game is that she was staggering off the field, the cameras were off her by then.

Here you go Moose.

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/2024-mlb-broadcaster-announcer-rankings-mets-giants-padres.html

4. Baltimore Orioles – 3.07

Play-by-play: Kevin Brown
Analysts: Ben McDonald, Jim Palmer

Most common grade: B (39.02% of votes)

Previous grades: 3.14 (2014), 3.15 (2016), 2.83 (2017), 2.94 (2018), 2.90 (2019), 2.70 (2023)
Previous rankings: 3 (2014), 3 (2016), 6 (2017), 4 (2018), 4 (2019), 10 (2023)

Comments: The Orioles are back in the top five this year after initially sliding back in the post-Gary Thorne era. The team’s on-field play has likely helped the team’s broadcasters have more fun and enthusiasm for their work, and the fact that the ownership that suspended play-by-play announcer Kevin Brown last year sold the team hasn’t hurt matters.

Padres, Giants and Mets finished ahead.

Shocked the Rangers are down at 25, I heard they were the best.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh I thought this was bumped cause there was news that Gary Thorne got his job back.  You guys are in here talking about the drunk girl butchering the National Anthem.

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.  

*Moose covertly slipping something in Kevin Brown's drink.*

Edited by O's84
  • Thanks 1