Kevin Brown

Srey

2 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Watch the Pirates.....their broadcast team is so boring. Ai could replace them in a heartbeat. 

Yeah that PBP guy has that asmr type voice that’s soothing but makes me want to fall asleep. 

Another big problem that these guys have is that they talk over game action. You have to pace your banter so that there is a natural pause for the pitch instead of cutting a sentence short to describe the pitch as if you have forgotten there was a game going on.
Everybody else seems to do this naturally, but the Rangers are the best, Matt Hicks will actually say, “I will continue after this pitch from Joe Smith… Here’s the throw… Swing on and missed.” And then he continues his story, but he does it in such a natural way that there’s no sense of abrupt interruption. That is painfully absent from the oriole crew, who constantly seem to forget that there is a game going on.

They are just bad.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Philip said:

Another big problem that these guys have is that they talk over game action. You have to pace your banter so that there is a natural pause for the pitch instead of cutting a sentence short to describe the pitch as if you have forgotten there was a game going on.
Everybody else seems to do this naturally, but the Rangers are the best, Matt Hicks will actually say, “I will continue after this pitch from Joe Smith… Here’s the throw… Swing on and missed.” And then he continues his story, but he does it in such a natural way that there’s no sense of abrupt interruption. That is painfully absent from the oriole crew, who constantly seem to forget that there is a game going on.

They are just bad.

Kevin did exactly what you’re describing just last night. Like almost word for word with your example. The idea that they ‘constantly’ forget there’s a game going on is just ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Kevin did exactly what you’re describing just last night. Like almost word for word with your example. The idea that they ‘constantly’ forget there’s a game going on is just ridiculous. 

It's also TV. Not the end of the world if they're speaking during a pitch sequence on the television broadcast IMO.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

They are just bad.

I like our crew but this is a good point on something they can improve on. And an example of the Kevin critique of sometimes chasing the joke too much, over just responding to the game organically. 

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Doing it correctly doesn’t change that they more often don’t. “Constantly “ is typical hyperbole and should be seen as such, but if you prefer, “ too often” work as well.

3 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

It's also TV. Not the end of the world if they're speaking during a pitch sequence on the television broadcast IMO.

But it is; not the end of the world( must avoid hyperbole) but ignoring the point of the event, which is a baseball game and not about whatever. If you talk over game play, that emphasizes that the talk is more important than the pitch. 

it probably happens to everyone once in a while, but skilled broadcasters avoid it almost always. In decades of listening to the rangers crew, I can’t remember anyone but Tom Grieve ever doing it.

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2024 at 5:15 PM, Philip said:

But it is; not the end of the world( must avoid hyperbole) but ignoring the point of the event, which is a baseball game and not about whatever. If you talk over game play, that emphasizes that the talk is more important than the pitch. 

it probably happens to everyone once in a while, but skilled broadcasters avoid it almost always. In decades of listening to the rangers crew, I can’t remember anyone but Tom Grieve ever doing it.

So I guess you want a TV broadcast that is just like a radio broadcast.  Fine, but I don’t need that.  

• Upvote 2

On 4/16/2024 at 2:20 PM, Yossarian said:

I do like the knowledge that Ben brings on the young players in the league after having seen a lot of them play in the college ranks.   That is insite that not many broadcasting teams have. 

I'm hoping that KB soon realizes what a resource Ben McDonald is.   Not that Kevin doesn't have a clue, but Ben really brings something to the party that helps everybody IMO.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I'm hoping that KB soon realizes what a resource Ben McDonald is.   Not that Kevin doesn't have a clue, but Ben really brings something to the party that helps everybody IMO.

Why do you think he doesn’t realize this already? He frequently brings up players college histories when Ben is on.

33 minutes ago, gangsta gangsta said:

I honestly love the crew we have right now. When I heard about the ownership change I immediately thought "extend Kevin Brown" (after last years debacle). I think he is one of the better young commentator in the sport. 

I agree. Extend Ken and Ben.