Kevin Brown

Srey

On 4/21/2024 at 11:33 AM, catseyepub said:

He's one of the best of the Joe Buck clones, if you enjoy that straight laced, paint by numbers broadcasting.

I enjoy my broadcasters who bring something extra to the broadcast, Harry Carey, Jimmy Piersall, Bill  White Phil Rizzuto,Gary Thorne.

There’s an element of Joe Buck to him, sure, but I don’t think that’s entirely fair, especially as a negative. He’s a much goofier guy, and in that respect less polished. I’ve never felt like I know who Buck is, but Kevin I’ve got a pretty good idea.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Usually, I actually prefer the radio guys, just because they’ve got to do so much better, because there’s no visual.

That’s why I have a problem. If I can’t see the play, I need to be told what just happened, not what “Ribeye” had for dinner. 

7 minutes ago, Big Al said:

That’s why I have a problem. If I can’t see the play, I need to be told what just happened, not what “Ribeye” had for dinner. 

Oh, I’ve never had a problem with that on radio, because there’s no visual they realize they have to describe the play accurately, and I’ve always been able to visualize it. 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:26 PM, survivedc said:

There’s an element of Joe Buck to him, sure, but I don’t think that’s entirely fair, especially as a negative. He’s a much goofier guy, and in that respect less polished. I’ve never felt like I know who Buck is, but Kevin I’ve got a pretty good idea.

I don't see the similarity to Joe Buck at all. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

After Burnes picked off J..J. Bleday: “So g’day Bleday!”

That reeks of John Sterling.

[That's not a compliment].

The worst Sterling call i ever heard was when Ji Man Choi hit a HR in his brief stint as a Yankee:

"Ji-Man is a He-Man!!   Oh Boy, Oh Choi!".

I was doing about 80 on the Jersey Turnpike and almost drove off the road in disgust.

53 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I think when people say that it’s less about his calls and more about his voice and inflection? I think?

Yes. First time I heard him I thought it was Joe Buck. I slowly became more confused as nothing he was saying sounded like stuff Joe Buck would say.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:16 PM, Roy Firestone said:

Kevin brings not just a solid and accurate play by play voice and presence to the broadcast, but also respect for the heritage of the Orioles. How many 34 year olds could reference "Aint the Beer cold" from Chuck Thompson and many, many legacy comments on Oriole greats from the past.But far more than that, he is precise, very clever and funny, has great judgement and can juggle both the game and playfulness in the booth at the same time.I continue to say, the Orioles are lucky as hell to have him and if he is extended in his contract (and he definitely should be) he will become a fixture in Oriole broadcasts for many years to come. In my opinion...we should be so lucky. He's already one of the very best in the game.

Roy I want to like him if just for your sake.   However at this time I cant say I do.  I will have to give it time.  It could be me.  I hope he grows on me.

Announcers are certainly a personal preference thing. It's very rare for just about everyone to agree positively (Jon Miller) or negatively (cough **Melanie") over an announcer. Heck, even Melanie has her people that enjoy her.

I will say this about Kevin Brown, he has a great voice, and no one, and I mean no one can say he doesn't prepare. In fact, if anything he over prepares. 

Last night was a good example of knowing when to talk a story and when not to. The Orioles were in the midst of blowing a game they led most of the game. Kimbrel/McKenna blew the 9th inning and Cowser had just made one of the un heads up throws you will see in a crucial situation that allowed the A's to go ahead. 

Knowing all that, he had his Mason Miller story all ready to go and he's over there talking about him overcoming diabetes and losing weight and blah, blah, blah while he's blowing the Orioles hitters away with the tie run on 2nd and 3rd.

I think in this case, he had something prepared for when Miller would come into the game, but should have realized that giving a flowery story about the opposing closer blowing away the Orioles hitters in this game was probably not the appropriate time to tell the story.

If I have one criticism of Brown, it's that awareness of when to tell that story or drop those little funny antidotes, or talk about the cute kid with the cotton candy. Things things all have a time and a place, and I think we more experience Brown will do better in his game awareness.

One of the things Jon Miller was great at doing was making a boring game interesting to listen to with those kinds of things. When the action is the most important thing to talk about or if the home team just had something bad happen to it, that's not the time.

He'll figure that stuff out eventually. 

Regardless, he's an excellent announcer who teams up well with Ben and Palmer to a lesser extent, though he gets a little too goofy at times with the kinder, gentler, older Palmer.

By the way, he handled the young man in the booth last night with grace, respect, and seemed genuinely happy to help set the young man up to live out his dream, if even for an inning or two. Well done Kevin, well done (Props to Palmer to for his handling).

• Upvote 1

Anybody complaining about Kevin Brown should be careful what they wish for. I bet Melanie Newman would be next in line for the job so the organization could pat themselves on the back for having a female in the role.

16 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Anybody complaining about Kevin Brown should be careful what they wish for. I bet Melanie Newman would be next in line for the job so the organization could pat themselves on the back for having a female in the role.

I doubt it, based on who does the bulk of the games when Kevin isn’t in the booth.  And I have no doubt that the Orioles know public opinion on the subject.  When I ran a poll last year on who was our best PBP announcer, Brown got 93% of the vote.  So the few posters here who don’t like him are in a very small minority.  

• Upvote 1