Jordan Westburg 2023

interloper

2 hours ago, MacAdoo said:

I have a pretty good feeling Jackson Holliday will anchor one of the middle infield spots in the future…

Thats a given, however I not sure if it will be SS or 2B...but I believe Henderson will stay a SS and Holliday will play 2B and Westburg will be at 3B of course they're interchangeable....Westburg could end up being a super utility guy that plays just about everyday if Mayo can stick at 3B, Westburg could rotate thru the infield and the corner outfield positions but I believe Mayo is ticketed for DH and 1B 

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Jordan has been playing pretty well.  Enough to keep him up that is for sure.   He seems to be adapting to ML pitching and playing good D.

Cowser on the other hand?  I would send him down.  He is doing nothing to help the team out right now.

It might not be a coincidence that the guy that spent the most time in AAA, despite the consternation of many, is adjusting the quickest. 

• Upvote 3

Westburg is getting underrated due to the young talent level on this team. On many teams in baseball, he'd be the most exciting young player they had.

In 32 games, he's been worth 0.9 WAR (and 0.9 fWAR). His peripherals look solid and that's a 4.5 WAR pace over a full year.

I'm not saying he's a 4.5 WAR player long-term, but he's fast, he's a solid 2B/3B defender, and he looks like a league average hitter. That's a very valuable guy to have.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Westburg is getting underrated due to the young talent level on this team. On many teams in baseball, he'd be the most exciting young player they had.

In 32 games, he's been worth 0.9 WAR (and 0.9 fWAR). His peripherals look solid and that's a 4.5 WAR pace over a full year.

I'm not saying he's a 4.5 WAR player long-term, but he's fast, he's a solid 2B/3B defender, and he looks like a league average hitter. That's a very valuable guy to have.

Yeah, even 5 years ago this place would have been much more fired up for a guy like Westburg.

IMO, and I know they're different players, but he and Hays were similarly valued prospects.  Look at how Hays was handled because of the lack of prospects and players in front of him, and look at Westburg was handled.

It is night and day.

On 8/12/2023 at 1:57 PM, luismatos4prez said:

Should have kept him down as rookie eligible for next year so we get the extra pick!

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He’s becoming a very steady performer. Great to see. 

Driving the ball more and more. The defense has been really good. 

I said it a few years ago when I saw him for the first time but he just looks like someone who is going to be good.

Just the way he plays and carries himself. Not sure what he tops Out at but if the defense stays good and he hits as we think, he should be a 3-4 WAR guy.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Driving the ball more and more. The defense has been really good. 

I said it a few years when I saw him for the first time but he just looks like someone who is going to be good.

Just the way he plays and carries himself. Not sure what he tops Out at but if the defense stays good and he hits as we think, he should be a 3-4 WAR guy.

This.  More athletic and faster than I expected, even from the scouting reports and videos I saw.  He also is a hustler and grinder, the type of player fans and coaches love.  Without checking his spray chart, it also seems like he's great at using the whole field and thus won't be as affected by the LF wall as other RH hitters.

I've loved him since I listened to a podcast with a former O's minor league coach who was talking about the best guys in the clubhouse (the "it" guys) and he mentioned Westburg out of nowhere.

Westburg wasn't part of the conversation, he just came to mind as a leader that does it all on and off the field. Someone that everyone else in the clubhouse, even coaches, looks up to. Kind of like Adley. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I've started comparing him to Martin Prado in my head. Similar profiles of glove first at 2B/3B/LF but solid hitter and well-known as a great clubhouse guy. Prado had a 27.7 WAR career which would be an awesome outcome for Westburg.

Interesting comp. Kind of like Prado, an athletic jack of all trades (master of none?) who can hit a bit. I really like what we've seen from Westburg. I did not expect this level of defense. I just wonder how we deploy him along with Gunnar, Ortiz, and Holliday, plus Urias. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Interesting comp. Kind of like Prado, an athletic jack of all trades (master of none?) who can hit a bit. I really like what we've seen from Westburg. I did not expect this level of defense. I just wonder how we deploy him along with Gunnar, Ortiz, and Holliday, plus Urias. 

You deploy him by penciling his name in the lineup card.

Edited by yark14