Jordan Westburg 2023

interloper

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Interesting comp. Kind of like Prado, an athletic jack of all trades (master of none?) who can hit a bit. I really like what we've seen from Westburg. I did not expect this level of defense. I just wonder how we deploy him along with Gunnar, Ortiz, and Holliday, plus Urias. 

You deploy him at 2B along with Ortiz (SS) and Gunnar (3B) on opening day 2024. Holiday won't be up until the August 31 Gunnar date to retain ROY for 2025. By then you will know what you have in Ortiz's bat and Westburg's glove to determine where you play Jackson. Ortiz can be the Util IF if the bat doesn't play. Westburg could as well or maybe move to a COF spot with his speed.

12 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

You deploy him at 2B along with Ortiz (SS) and Gunnar (3B) on opening day 2024. Holiday won't be up until the August 31 Gunnar date to retain ROY for 2025. By then you will know what you have in Ortiz's bat and Westburg's glove to determine where you play Jackson. Ortiz can be the Util IF if the bat doesn't play. Westburg could as well or maybe move to a COF spot with his speed.

I'd put Westburg all over the field a la Zobrist. Give him reps at 1B too. 

• Upvote 1

Granted he only played a handful of games in the minors there, I think he could easily be a respectable corner outfielder if we needed to fit him into the lineup. I feel like things will work itself out though. Inevitably someone will be hurt or need a day off. With the DH and potentially a corner outfield spot, we can have all four of Gunnar/Westburg/Ortiz/Holliday get full time reps if we so desire.

Based on some of the Westburg defensive commentary here on the board, I was expecting him to be Vavra out there. I've been pleasantly surprised, he seems to move well at 2nd and 3rd, and I haven't noticed a weakish arm. Definitely prefer him in the lineup over Frazier.

2 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Based on some of the Westburg defensive commentary here on the board, I was expecting him to be Vavra out there. I've been pleasantly surprised, he seems to move well at 2nd and 3rd, and I haven't noticed a weakish arm. Definitely prefer him in the lineup over Frazier.

I don't think anybody bashed him defensively.  I think the general consensus was let's see it for ourselves, as there was some division among scouts.

This is another little feather in the OH's cape but it was much higher on him defensively than the national people, and the OH was right.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I like the fact that Westburg has stepped into his role and looks like he belongs at the level, so we don’t have to hear people crying for him to get more reps as he stinks it up.

Or have to see the moronic posts about how he should be sent down instead of letting him work through things despite tons of minor league success and great scouting reports.  

• Upvote 2

The player that Westburg reminds me of is Austin Hays. I’ll take that for the next 6.3 seasons. People are going to whine today that we should’ve gotten Scherzer instead of Flaherty, but the equivalent deal that we could’ve offered the Mets would’ve been Westburg. I’d rather have Westburg and just like Hays, I think he will be an AS for at least one of his years here. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The player that Westburg reminds me of is Austin Hays. I’ll take that for the next 6.3 seasons. People are going to whine today that we should’ve gotten Scherzer instead of Flaherty, but the equivalent deal that we could’ve offered the Mets would’ve been Westburg. I’d rather have Westburg and just like Hays, I think he will be an AS for at least one of his years here. 

I’m hopeful Westburg is an on base machine as he was in the minors .371. Hays was .326 in the minors and is only .321 this year which is better than his MLB career by .09. 

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t see how they are similar.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What about Westburg reminds you of Hays?  I like both players, but I don’t see them as that similar.  

• Upvote 1