Who do we want to start Game One of the World Series?

Baltimorecuse

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Justify to themselves.

I don't get how you can reconcile hurting the team's playoff chances by going forward with a course of action that you know you have no evidence to support it.

Didn't Elias hedge the 'no cap' comment a bit?  He clearly said the science of the innings cap isn't proven.  But I also don't think he said it wasn't a factor.

FWIW, I think don't think they're going to have a season cap.  He may get an extra day or a shorter outing here/there (which could be why he was pulled the other day).  But Elias knows arms are risky assets.  So, using the bullets in the higher leverage pennant race/playoffs is where the priority is now.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Secondly, they are 100% making the playoffs, so these things are worth discussing. What this question is really asking is, when you are in the playoffs, who do you project to be our best starter.

I'll wait until they clinch before worrying about who a Game One starter is.  This is putting the cart before the horse.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This board is hilarious.  First place in August after 5 years of largely crap and you're talking about Game One starters, World Series starters....you're like the dorky 9th grader who all of a sudden found a weight bench and can bench press the bar and got all cocky all of a sudden.  

:)  The journey of a million steps starts with the first one!  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'll wait until they clinch before worrying about who a Game One starter is.  This is putting the cart before the horse.

They could win 40% (or even a little less) of their games the rest of the year and likely still make the playoffs.

They are in.

If game one of the WS was today and all 5 starters were on normal rest, hypothetically I think there’s a 50/50 chance it would be Gibson. 

Not sure who I want.  Flaherty looked great yesterday but that was also a good matchup for him with only Varsho and Belt from the left side and neither one an intimidating presence.

On merit it would be Bradish.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They could win 40% (or even a little less) of their games the rest of the year and likely still make the playoffs.

They are in.

Their odds are excellent, but I still have PTSD from some of the Orioles past epic collapses like 4-32 etc.  This team is much better than those ones and I’m not expecting a collapse, but I’m still taking nothing for granted.  Anyway, I want the team to finish strong and carry good momentum into the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Their odds are excellent, but I still have PTSD from some of the Orioles past epic collapses like 4-32 etc.  This team is much better than those ones and I’m not expecting a collapse, but I’m still taking nothing for granted.  Anyway, I want the team to finish strong and carry good momentum into the playoffs.  

This team doesn’t even need to be in the same breath as the last disasters.

No reason to even allow that to enter in your mind.

2 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Hey guys, my question was almost totally tongue-in-cheek.  I asked it because I'm sick of the lack of respect our pitchers are receiving, in fact, the whole team.  

Barring injuries, I think GR will be our best pitcher by October.  

Who is disrespecting this team?

I'm curious.

I know Yankees, Met, Red Sox, Rays ect fans and none of them are disrespecting this team.

I hang out on r/baseball and no one is disrespecting this team.

Two thirds of the way through the season and they are on pace to win 100 games.

Is pointing out they don't have a clear #1 to start a playoff series "disrespect"?  I don't think it is.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

This team doesn’t even need to be in the same breath as the last disasters.

No reason to even allow that to enter in your mind.

You’ll remember I did a thread a few weeks ago about all the past Orioles teams that ever reached 20 games over .500 at any point in the season.   There were zero cases of any of those teams playing sub-.500 ball thereafter, except one year where they reached 20 games over on the penultimate day of the season and then lost their final game, which was meaningless anyway.  So, I agree those collapses weren’t really relevant to this team.  But, they’re in my mind anyway.  

Just now, Frobby said:

You’ll remember I did a thread a few weeks ago about all the past Orioles teams that ever reached 20 games over .500 at any point in the season.   There were zero cases of any of those teams playing sub-.500 ball thereafter, except one year where they reached 20 games over on the penultimate day of the season and then lost their final game, which was meaningless anyway.  So, I agree those collapses weren’t really relevant to this team.  But, they’re in my mind anyway.  

It's baseball, it can happen.

I don't see the value in pretending it can't.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No one is kidding anyone.  We all watch every damn inning going, "don't let the bubble burst. " We had a three run lead in the bottom of the 8th and I could see a bloop. a walk, and a blast off Cano.  It wasn't until Monty caught that widow-maker that I thought it was done.  

I'd like to be fly fishing in Montana right now, or catching smallmouths on the St. Lawrence, but my wife's medical issues have me locked up.  The O's are like a lifeline for sanity.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who is disrespecting this team?

I'm curious.

I know Yankees, Met, Red Sox, Rays ect fans and none of them are disrespecting this team.

I hang out on r/baseball and no one is disrespecting this team.

Two thirds of the way through the season and they are on pace to win 100 games.

Is pointing out they don't have a clear #1 to start a playoff series "disrespect"?  I don't think it is.

I do.  And the endless criticism of not bringing up x,y,z is pretty bad, too.  

You know that virtually every game we played in July we were the betting dog.  

Edited by Baltimorecuse