Enrique Bradfield 2023

Jagwar

On 8/16/2023 at 4:12 PM, bpilktree said:

There are plenty of guys that walk 80-100 times a year without serious power.  Ian Happ has 14 homers and 80 walks, J.P. Crawford has 68 walks and 10 homers,  Yandy Diaz had 80 walks last year and 9 homers.  Jesse Winker walked 84 times with 13 homers in 134 games.  If he can hit 10-15 homers a year he can walk 80-100 times a year if he keeps great plate discipline.  

I think there's a floor of around a .400 slugging percentage to be able to walk that much.  All the guys you listed slug around that much.  That's not a very high bar, to be fair.

He can't be Billy Hamilton and slug .330 and expect to walk that much.  But if he has a small amount of power and hits some doubles in the gap, then that's enough to satisfy the power requirement as long as he shows the ability to make consistent contact.

Edited by Hallas

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If they were looking to change his swing, I would think they would push him faster so he would fail and be more amenable to a swing change in the offseason. 

Bradfield works for the Orioles. Not the other way around. Keep in mind there is an employee/employer relationship here. And Bradfield is on the short end of that stick. He will do what he is told for the benefit of the organization and if he has a problem with that then he can go kick rocks. 

Anyways, he seems like an optimistic kid who would never be a problem anyways, so I don't think he will be difficult to work with if he was asked to make some swing changes.

4 hours ago, brucewayne said:

Bradfield works for the Orioles. Not the other way around. Keep in mind there is an employee/employer relationship here. And Bradfield is on the short end of that stick. He will do what he is told for the benefit of the organization and if he has a problem with that then he can go kick rocks. 

Anyways, he seems like an optimistic kid who would never be a problem anyways, so I don't think he will be difficult to work with if he was asked to make some swing changes.

Of course there is an employee/employer relationship but if you think that is enough to get employees to buy into what you are selling you probably don't have a lot of experience with managing people, especially in this day and age.  The employer's job is to maximize the results of the employee, that is done by making changes but also doing what you can to get buy-in.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They are very aggressive. Neto was called up in less than a year.

I don’t hate it but this is a team that has had a lot of development issues, so I’m not sure they are the standard to go by.

If they have an opening and they think he might make them better, then this makes all the sense in their world given the Ohtani situation and desperation to get to the playoffs.   Fortunately, the Orioles do not have any position on the field where it would make sense to call a guy like this up because it could very well hurt him.  There is a reason that you basically never see this except for with the occasional reliever.  So, you either believe he is an almost 1 in a million or that he will just be hot for awhile, and it doesn't kill his development.  

4 hours ago, brucewayne said:

Managing relationships is important. It's always better to have the player's buy-in if you're asking them to change something as vital to their livelihood as their swing. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They are very aggressive. Neto was called up in less than a year.

I don’t hate it but this is a team that has had a lot of development issues, so I’m not sure they are the standard to go by.

Definitely not, although if we didn't have Mateo, I wouldn't be opposed to Bradfield being on the playoff roster as a pinch runner and defensive upgrade in the outfield. As it is, I think that is unnecessary and would be a poor use of the 40-man roster spot.

I fully expect him to be in that role next year though if the O's are in the playoffs and we don't have someone like Mateo on the roster, even if his bat isn't otherwise Major League ready.

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Definitely not, although if we didn't have Mateo, I wouldn't be opposed to Bradfield being on the playoff roster as a pinch runner and defensive upgrade in the outfield. As it is, I think that is unnecessary and would be a poor use of the 40-man roster spot.

I fully expect him to be in that role next year though if the O's are in the playoffs and we don't have someone like Mateo on the roster, even if his bat isn't otherwise Major League ready.

Yea I think that’s a good bet. He should be in Bowie by June, so he will be close anyway.