OPACY Is Not Ready For The Playoffs

cboemmeljr

1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

FWIW, I work in a local Baltimore hospital so I know high-priced, low quality food.v

I had to laugh at this line.  How true!

I’d like to think that the O’s and the concessionaire will be fully staffed up for the playoffs.   But I consider myself forewarned and will definitely be bringing my own food.  I’m not going to be waiting in line for a hot dog while a playoff game is underway.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:00 PM, accinfo said:

... It is obvious they don’t have enough people.  I don’t know if that is the fault of the concessionaire or the team but it is not good.  I will be there next Saturday for the Springsteen concert so we will see how that turns out.

I was disappointed to read that they are not allowing outside food or beverages nor tailgating for Springsteen.  Not even a water bottle; I've been to four other MLB parks (and football stadiums) for concerts this summer and this is the only one that doesn't allow a sealed water bottle inside to avoid paying six bucks for water.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Syd Thrift said:

I was disappointed to read that they are not allowing outside food or beverages nor tailgating for Springsteen.  Not even a water bottle; I've been to four other MLB parks (and football stadiums) for concerts this summer and this is the only one that doesn't allow a sealed water bottle inside to avoid paying six bucks for water.

That is too bad but I don’t usually carry food in.  I know he is going to go on sometime before 8:00 and leave 3 plus hours later.  I will eat before the show and grab a soda at the show.  I am going to have a good time anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Angels game last Monday. Not a great ballpark. My seat faced the outfield wall. The sound system is bad. The scoreboards are not bad,much better then Camden Yards. The seats have much more legroom, at least the one I sat  in. Tons of Oriole fans there  Many did the O during the National anthem. The concessions moved fast and were efficient and at least a few dollars less then Camden Yards. Getting thru security was much faster. Just keep walking unless they pull you out of the crowd. Supposedly about 29,000 at the game but was less.  Brought food and one water in with no problem. Parking getting out was slow and no one directing.  Overall a good time with many things better then Camden Yards and some worse. Seemed  more efficient  and more help and  bathrooms are 30 times better as well as concessions. 

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Went to the Angels game last Monday. Not a great ballpark. My seat faced the outfield wall. The sound system is bad. The scoreboards are not bad,much better then Camden Yards. The seats have much more legroom, at least the one I sat  in. Tons of Oriole fans there  Many did the O during the National anthem. The concessions moved fast and were efficient and at least a few dollars less then Camden Yards. Getting thru security was much faster. Just keep walking unless they pull you out of the crowd. Supposedly about 29,000 at the game but was less.  Brought food and one water in with no problem. Parking getting out was slow and no one directing.  Overall a good time with many things better then Camden Yards and some worse. Seemed  more efficient  and more help and  bathrooms are 30 times better as well as concessions. 

I could see Moreno putting money into that stuff and with min wage out there being 15.50, probably easy to find workers too.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I could see Moreno putting money into that stuff and with min wage out there being 15.50, probably easy to find workers too.

Nothing to stop Angelos or the concessionaire from paying $15.50 to attract workers, no matter what the minimum wage is in Maryland.  It’s not like they’re competing with the stadium next door to sell their tickets and food.  And @Going Undergroundmentioned that the Angels’ concession prices were lower than the Orioles’.   So, the “higher wages will force us to raise prices” argument doesn’t really in this instance.  Seems like the O’s are just bent on short-term profitability regardless of whether it damages their brand and thus their longer term profitability.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nothing to stop Angelos or the concessionaire from paying $15.50 to attract workers, no matter what the minimum wage is in Maryland.  It’s not like they’re competing with the stadium next door to sell their tickets and food.  And @Going Undergroundmentioned that the Angels’ concession prices were lower than the Orioles’.   So, the “higher wages will force us to raise prices” argument doesn’t really in this instance.  Seems like the O’s are just bent on short-term profitability regardless of whether it damages their brand and thus their longer term profitability.   

The Angels have a $216 mm payroll and cost index is one of the lowest in the league. The Orioles are now 13 to 15th in cost index based on which survey you use. Also top 10 in concession prices. Oakland cost index is also not cheap. So when John Angelos says he would have to raise concessions and ticket prices dramatically if payroll went up,he doesn't have to. The Orioles are having a really good year but sooner or later, they will have a losing year and you don't want to piss off the fans by gouging them. 

https://ktla.com/sports/from-83-to-219-where-your-family-will-spend-the-most-to-attend-an-mlb-game/

Since I chimed in with a negative comment here about when they had a sellout I have to give the Orioles and their employees big time props for the Bark and the Park day yesterday.  They really did a nice job with the activities and how they treated everyone.  Dogs including mine in the aisles and every usher just side stepping them and making sure everyone was having a good time.  We all got to take them to the out field and take pictures.  it was just a great event.  Everyone is in a good mood with dogs in the house.  Despite the outcome of the game. Thanks to everyone involved. 

IMG_5088.jpeg

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Since I chimed in with a negative comment here about when they had a sellout I have to give the Orioles and their employees big time props for the Bark and the Park day yesterday.  They really did a nice job with the activities and how they treated everyone.  Dogs including mine in the aisles and every usher just side stepping them and making sure everyone was having a good time.  We all got to take them to the out field and take pictures.  it was just a great event.  Everyone is in a good mood with dogs in the house.  Despite the outcome of the game. Thanks to everyone involved. 

IMG_5088.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the picture! Is there a particular section all of the dogs and owners sit in? We might consider it for next year.

1 hour ago, BirdinBama said:

Back to Oriole Park. I came up from Alabama and saw the first 2 games with the Cardinals. I had a seat in Section 34 on Monday and 36 on Tuesday. On both nights there were no paper towels in the men's room. Are we skimping on that, too?

They have been running out of towels after the fifth inning for years. Usually at least one toilet is broken. They never refill in my  area bathroom.  Monday and Tuesday had around 15,000 ,so running out on those days in totally unacceptable. Been to three other ballparks this year and Camden Yards is the least enjoyable for certain things. 

4 hours ago, CynBeth said:

Thanks for sharing the picture! Is there a particular section all of the dogs and owners sit in? We might consider it for next year.

Yes they keep it to 3 or 4 sections around the foul pole.  I went in 2019, my picture in my profile is my older dog in her seat then.

• Haha 1