Kangaroo court

Big Al

As I watched Mateo jog to first with bat still in hand on what could have been an inside the park home run, I thought back to the days of the Kangaroo court.  Frank Robinson was the perfect person to perform the duties of the judge (established veteran superstar with a hard nosed, no nonsense mentality).  If we were to reinstate "the court" who would be the best candidate to hold the gavel and administer punishment?  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d imagine given the age of the guys on the roster, it’d probably be someone like Gibson or Frazier as they’re really the only two guys who have experienced prolonged careers. Frazier is quiet and straight to the point like Belichick. He’d probably be a hard-ass. 

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’d imagine given the age of the guys on the roster, it’d probably be someone like Gibson or Frazier as they’re really the only two guys who have experienced prolonged careers. Frazier is quiet and straight to the point like Belichick. He’d probably be a hard-ass. 

Case in point: the little tiff between he and Gunnar on the pop up. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Pickles said:

If Jorge Mateo cured cancer there'd be a thread on here the next day blaming him for AIDS.

He hit a line drive right to the CF that should have been caught 90% of the time, since it was a line drive it got past the CF in  literally 2 seconds, Mateo was not going at full speed for literally 2 seconds.  He was going  at a crisp pace down the line though, certainly not standing in the box.  Some people seem offended he didn't immediately discard his bat.  Whatever.  Again, it's 2 seconds.  The ball came into SS just as he was rounding into third- even going 100% from contact would not have made enough of a difference to turn this into an inside the park home run.

His legs literally scored that first run.  A fairly important run if I recall.

If the standard is going to be 100% out of the box every time, all the time, we're going to have a damn busy Kangaroo Court, and I'm not sure we have someone worthy enough to sit on its bench.

When you don't get the opportunity to even get out of the box very often, you need to be ready to go.  This is a pattern for him and a guy who is fighting to stay on a ML roster should not be doing things like this. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

When you don't get the opportunity to even get out of the box very often, you need to be ready to go.  This is a pattern for him and a guy who is fighting to stay on a ML roster should not be doing things like this. 

He was home to second in 7 seconds, and to third in 11, accounting for an ease up.

How fast, exactly, should he be running?

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

He shouldn't be standing short of first base with the bat in his hand. 

After 2 seconds.  How fast should he get from home to first?  The average time for a right hander is 4.31 seconds.  Should Jorge be there in 2 seconds?

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

If they want to hold a kangaroo court more power to them. But I’m not going to get upset because a guy didn’t get an inside the park homerun. 

If Mateo didn't waste those 2 seconds, he would have tried to come home and be thrown out at the plate and just a long out and no run.  I am glad he didn't have the opportunity to try to come home.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1