Kangaroo court

Big Al

38 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

If Mateo didn't waste those 2 seconds, he would have tried to come home and be thrown out at the plate and just a long out and no run.  I am glad he didn't have the opportunity to try to come home.

He didn't waste two seconds.  He didn't optimize them by like 10 percent.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He even coasted in at the end. Probably could have made it in 10.5 even with the late jump at first base.

Wow, that would have been the fastest time in the Statcast era.

Elly's 10.83 (fastest of the season, second fastest since 2020)

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/6807eae6-df47-4f38-85f4-e5ce2dbabcf6.mp4

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

As I watched Mateo jog to first with bat still in hand on what could have been an inside the park home run, I thought back to the days of the Kangaroo court.  Frank Robinson was the perfect person to perform the duties of the judge (established veteran superstar with a hard nosed, no nonsense mentality).  If we were to reinstate "the court" who would be the best candidate to hold the gavel and administer punishment?  

Adley 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow, that would have been the fastest time in the Statcast era.

Elly's 10.83 (fastest of the season, second fastest since 2020)

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/6807eae6-df47-4f38-85f4-e5ce2dbabcf6.mp4

Have you looked at the link pickles shared as well as the stills? I don't know what to say, he is definitely there in 11 seconds and he is coasting at the end. If he is anywhere near Elly's time that tells me he couldn't have hesitated for too long.

36 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Oh, you're lazy.  Cool.

Here ya go, darling.

Contact.png

MissedCatch.png

The MLBTV condensed game is a highly edited presentation.  Understand that it takes about a minute to edit down a 20 second 5-6 shot sequence to a credible 12 second 5-6 shot sequence which the audience fully accepts because they're watching in a montage format.  Furthermore, it takes about 10 seconds to add a speed ramp that moves a shot or sequence from 100% to say 115% which looks more exciting.  There is no reason to believe that any part of the condensed game is an accurate representation of real time.  You should go back to the replay of the full game if you want to try to use a rough stopwatch.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

The MLBTV condensed game is a highly edited presentation.  Understand that it takes about a minute to edit down a 20 second 5-6 shot sequence to a credible 12 second 5-6 shot sequence which the audience fully accepts because they're watching in a montage format.  Furthermore, it takes about 10 seconds to add a speed ramp that moves a shot or sequence from 100% to say 115% which looks more exciting.  There is no reason to believe that any part of the condensed game is an accurate representation of real time.  You should go back to the replay of the full game if you want to try to use a rough stopwatch.

I respect your technical knowledge.  You're giving me a lot of work to do now.

I don't care.  This dude can fly.

Edit: Just hand timed it.  Got under 11.  From the full game.

Edited by Pickles

4 minutes ago, hutchead said:

I have the original game on DVR. I just timed it with my stopwatch twice and I got 11.2 seconds both times. Of course that's not an exact science but just throwing that out there.

I just watched the full game version and got 11.3 using the stopwatch on my phone. The sequence looks exactly the same as the condensed game. There is an additional replay that does show him still with bat in hand briefly slowing up so I see what people are talking about, but it's pretty subtle. 

Jorge is frustrated at this point, of course. He is human. Most players have moments where they don’t “bust it” out of the box, especially in the months of July and August. He does some things that drive us to be critical of his play, but he is no Felix Pie level of boneheadedness. Not even close.

So what if he didn’t quite run full out to start. Hyde may have someone address it with him, quietly and professionally. Mateo admitted it in his interview, and he knows better. I do not think he generally lacks hustle, quite the opposite, in fact. 

There is time for holding someone accountable and attention to detail, but you have to remember the human factor as a teammate or a manager. Fans, well they can be brutal at all times. That is the nature of being a fan. That is why they are fans and not players, managers or team execs. 

Mullins and Hays have tenure to be the Judge, but McCann, Frazier and Gibson could be more of a panel or triumvirate of justices in the Kangaroo Court. 

• Upvote 1

Oh my God. A thread dedicated to a fun topic delves into Pickles and CoC’s never ending attempts at semantics one upmanship, pettiness and school marm-ery. Adding CoC’s constant slurping of Elly De La Cruz and it’s like their Greatest Hits album. 

Anyway, I think Santander would have a blast leading the Kangaroo Court. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

If Jorge Mateo cured cancer there'd be a thread on here the next day blaming him for AIDS.

He hit a line drive right to the CF that should have been caught 90% of the time, since it was a line drive it got past the CF in  literally 2 seconds, Mateo was not going at full speed for literally 2 seconds.  He was going  at a crisp pace down the line though, certainly not standing in the box.  Some people seem offended he didn't immediately discard his bat.  Whatever.  Again, it's 2 seconds.  The ball came into SS just as he was rounding into third- even going 100% from contact would not have made enough of a difference to turn this into an inside the park home run.

His legs literally scored that first run.  A fairly important run if I recall.

Yes, I suspect that the Mets 3rd baseman Vientos' knowing how fast Mateo is led him to rush, bobble the grounder, and settle for throwing Rutschman out at first.

• Upvote 1

Mateo is such a lightening rod.  Other than looking sloppy, holding onto the bat up the line had no impact on him not scoring an in the parker.  Anything short of him being perfect is going to garner some negative response.  What's meaningful to me is how quick he was off to score on contact with AR's fielder's choice.  I don't think they get him at the plate anyway - even cleanly played.  The catcher was in front of the plate and Mateo was already 2/3 of the way down the line by the time the 3rd baseman would have been squared to throw. 

Judge McCann

• Like 1