Orioles biggest problem

wildcard

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No it doesn’t. One great decision doesn’t overrule complete ineptitude in many other areas.

Well, he (1) brought Elias here and (2) let Elias do his thing, apparently with zero to minimal interference.  So, he gets points for both those things.   Whether Elias will get the financial support he needs down the road remains to be seen.  

I feel like some of the reactions to this thread are unfair.  I don't think anyone can accuse Wildcard of not being a happy fan.  He tends to be one of our most optimistic posters.  I'm sure he's thrilled that the Orioles are the best team in the AL.  

And I also appreciate how much Elias and Mejdal have done for the organization, which means that other teams will want to hire them, which would be a negative for the organization's long-term outlook.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Would you root for the Nashville Orioles, just curious. 

I can tell you, based on living in that culture for over a decade and how they view their teams and sports... there would be NO Nashville Orioles.  They would change the team name within one billionth of a second of the move officially completing, I guarantee it. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since we know absolutely nothing about how much Elias is paid, how long he is under contract, or how motivated he is to go elsewhere at some point, it’s just not something I worry about.   

On top of it, I get the feeling that Elias wants to see this through to a World Championship. I certainly understand that money talks, and we have a history of teams trying to steal our GM (Toronto with Duquette that single handedly destroyed his ability to GM with the Orioles afterwards because of Angelos revenge), but I just feel like Elias won't consider leaving until he made the Orioles World Champions.

It would be a bit of a dark mark on him if he did. Afterall, while there is no doubt Elias has built this organization from the ground up into one of the best, he still hasn't won anything in the post season yet, and that will determine his overall legacy. 

In a season that's fun and entertaining, the last thing I'm doing is worrying about anything but this season. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he (1) brought Elias here and (2) let Elias do his thing, apparently with zero to minimal interference.  So, he gets points for both those things.   Whether Elias will get the financial support he needs down the road remains to be seen.  

I agree with this.

I don't have reason to believe that John Angelos will turn into a great owner, but I personally think he's tee'd it up to happen, even if he basically lucked out by hiring the right group of people while being cheap.

Now he definitely needs to take the next steps, otherwise he'll follow a similar legacy to his father (who was also initially "successful"). You don't assume that you can always add another Adley, Gunnar, etc. They're special, and won't be easily replaced if we play cheap with them. You have to keep the best.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

On top of it, I get the feeling that Elias wants to see this through to a World Championship. I certainly understand that money talks, and we have a history of teams trying to steal our GM (Toronto with Duquette that single handedly destroyed his ability to GM with the Orioles afterwards because of Angelos revenge), but I just feel like Elias won't consider leaving until he made the Orioles World Champions.

It would be a bit of a dark mark on him if he did. Afterall, while there is no doubt Elias has built this organization from the ground up into one of the best, he still hasn't won anything in the post season yet, and that will determine his overall legacy. 

In a season that's fun and entertaining, the last thing I'm doing is worrying about anything but this season. 

Yes, since fans are so used to have the attitude of  Wait till next year, they need to sit back and enjoy because this is probably NEXT YEAR.  

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well we don’t know that #2 is correct or should I say, we don’t know that it’s completely correct.

We know that Elias basically said that ownership wouldn’t allow him to “buy a prospect”…he said that after the SF/LAA deal years back.

We know he has let him do certain things for sure but I tend to doubt that he has let him do everything he wants, especially w/r/t extensions.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I would.  

I mean, I'm invested in Adley, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, Ortiz, Mayo, Bradish, Basallo, etc.  Where they play is really of no consequence to me.  It would suck to see Camden Yards empty...I'd still go to watch whatever team fills that stadium maybe once a summer because I'd want to show it to my kid, but other than that I really don't care.

Yankees merch, especially the hat, is bigger than baseball.  It's iconic and cultural.  People are still going to by Yankees hats no matter what place they're in.

While that is most certainly the case, even merchandising would take a hit from all the fans who would not buy. But my larger point is that there would be a tremendous negative financial impact to the Yankees/Mets attempting to undergo a tank/tear down anything close to what the Orioles did. And this is not even mentioning the negative onslaught/avalanche from the media (which would be driven by those angry fans). 

What Elias took the Orioles through would only be palatable to select owners (almost all of whom are in similar financial situations to the O's).

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You just have to come to peace with the fact that 10-20% of the population is unhappy pretty much no matter what. And they post as much as any other people. I'm absolutely certain there are Braves fans who are beside themselves with how poorly the organization is run.

Spot on Drungo, I have no doubt this is correct.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Now that everyone in baseball has seen that Mike Elias can take a poor team and build an organization that makes it one of the best, how do the O's keep him?  In the world of baseball money speaks loudly.    If the Mets owner Steve Cohen decides he wanted Elias how much would he send to get him?

I know Elias has said that O's fans will have to put up with him for a while, which I guess means he is under contract.   But will the Angelos' do what is needed to keep him long term?   Will they make him a minority partner if that is what is required?   

Before this year the thought of Elias leaving did not seem that real.   But now the O's winning has elevated the possibility.  Maybe not right now but at some point.

At some point, you hope that Elias has enough money so that he'd rather enjoy the fruits of his labors and maybe win multiple championships over moving to another rebuild just to make more cash.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I've said this before - I don't think that Elias comes here in the first place without strong (potentially contractual) guarantees that he'd have the financial support required to win a championship. Presumably Elias had huge leverage in negotiating his deal with the O's and he's smart enough to use that leverage to get what he required, otherwise he would have gone somewhere else where there was a history of financials support for the front office's needs.

I just love facts when we start talking about business.  The original partnership, with Angelos, purchased the O's for 193 million and the franchise value is now estimated to be 1.6 billion.  

It appears that Peter's lawyer structured the old boy's estate to give his wife all the power including, his current affairs.  The wife, in turn, gave John control of the O's, but not enough to sell them.  Momma and Louis would have to agree with that.  In the meantime Louis is suing John and Mom for control of the team.  One of the issues is the firing of Brady Anderson and the hiring of Elias which Louis opposed.  

This was all in the newspapers so you probably all know this.  Meantime it looks like Elias is running the whole shebang at the practical level.  Sure would like to see Peter's will.  

29 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

In the meantime Louis is suing and Mom for control of the team.  One of the issues is the firing of Brady Anderson and the hiring of Elias which Louis opposed.  

This was all in the newspapers so you probably all know this. 

Yes, and I also know that the lawsuit was settled several months ago.