Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I have zero problem if MASN wants its on-air personnel to wear certain clothing when they are on the air.  That’s a very different issue than micro-managing what they say.  

Yea I do agree with this.

There is nothing wrong with this and personally I prefer them wearing Os gear vs MASN stuff.

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

I have a different perspective on all this today. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that someone like Michael Kay or John Sterling would speak out about this. They literally work for a franchise that doesn't allow players to grow facial hair, and that still requires forced displays of patriotism at all home games. Those are infinitely worse crimes than what the Orioles have done to Brown. 

The other thing is, it feels like every now and then, the baseball industry likes to have a go at the Orioles. Everybody is quick to jump on the bandwagon of trashing the franchise. More often than not, the franchise deserves it, but I think the pile-on is shaped in part by the fact that the Orioles are seen as an easy punching bag. If it was a richer franchise, the criticism would not be quite so vocal or loud.

So, in other words, I'm done with this controversy. Brown will be back in the booth in a couple days. Angelos is an idiot, but I'm not joining in on the collective freak-out anymore. 

As stupid as the Yankees' facial hair rule is, notice that they're completely open about it. They don't deny that the rule exists. The Orioles' leadership was hoping to quietly reinstate Kevin Brown on Friday and pretend nothing unusual had happened. John Angelos is reportedly (per Dan Connolly) furious that the reason for Brown's absence was leaked. That suggests that either Angelos or the people around Angelos are fully aware of how insane the suspension sounds to normal people and needed to be a secret.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I do agree with this.

There is nothing wrong with this and personally I prefer them wearing Os gear vs MASN stuff.

Agreed. Dress code for on the air or at public team events is absolutely reasonable.

A dress code for radio personalities is silly, unless they were attending a team event (e.g., at the stadium during an event). So that would make sense to me if someone was sanctioned in a small way for assuming it only applied to TV spots when they were otherwise "on duty" at a public event.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

MASN making people wear team gear on the air is a bit silly though.  I don't know if anyone is going to see Rob Long and want the gear he was wearing last night.

I don't see an issue with a dress code for on-air personalities employed by the team. It's one of the easiest forms of branding and way easier than creating a dress code that doesn't include Os gear.

Promoting the clothes as a revenue stream feels like a side-effect some may experience - otherwise we'd see less uniformity. I'm not suggesting they aren't motivated by money, but I doubt wearing Os shirts is about selling Os shirts as the top strategy there.

Edit: maybe I missed we were discussing radio folks not tv folks, but hey - I am still okay with it. I'd even assume it was consistent no matter what since they represent the team and they are visible to people even if it is just those in and around the broadcasting booth (for radio). 

Edited by AdamK

5 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

John Angelos is reportedly (per Dan Connolly) furious that the reason for Brown's absence was leaked. 

Well of course he is, given that he’s been absolutely roasted for it.  

Unfortunately, this is all going to end with Brown and the Orioles quietly parting ways in the offseason, to the detriment of those Orioles fans who think he’s our best PBP guy (and I think a significant majority feel that way - poll to follow).  I don’t see any other way this can end, and thst sucks.  

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I have zero problem if MASN wants its on-air personnel to wear certain clothing when they are on the air.  That’s a very different issue than micro-managing what they say.  

To be sure, this is micro-managing. It's micro-managing the micro-managing. Putting a graphic on the screen with this information and expecting the guy to not read it? Was this some kind of a sick loyalty test?

This is the kind of thing you'd hear from the Soviet Bloc. Comrade Brown fell ill last night after mentioning grain production was down 0.4%, and will be recovering in a sanitarium in Yakutsk for the next 20-40 years.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, I thought it was hilarious...and I hope he meant it to be snarky.

IMO, there's no doubt. He NEVER wears a hat, and for the first time (that I've noticed, and I watch a shameful amount of O's pre/postgame content) to be on THIS day of all days, following the morning interview with Britt and all of the KB noise, there's no doubt in my mind. 

As for the complaint about the O's gear, I honestly don't get the outrage on this point. For context, I really only watch O's games, so I don't know what other TV crews wear, but apparently it's whatever they want as long as it's professional and will look good on TV. At least this year, they're giving our TV crew a ton of options from night to night. In previous years, there was just one horrible cement grey shirt they all wore and it was awful. Now it looks like they're wearing the stuff they sell in the team shop. I never got the impression that they were advertising the gear this way, but it's not a stretch to think they are.

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

I never got the impression that they were advertising the gear this way, but it's not a stretch to think they are.

How about those stupid segments where they eat and praise various OPACY food offerings? When did those in-game commercials start?