Friday Roster moves: Mullins & Vespi for Krehbiel & McKenna

SteveA

Cedric off IL, McKenna to Norfolk.

Vespi up from minors, Krehbiel optioned.

I guess with Irvin moving into the rotation, and Coulombe on the IL, they wanted a 2nd lefty in the pen.   And Vespi certainly has performed acceptably in his previous callups to the bigs.

• Upvote 1

I don’t really know what we have in Vespi. I mostly believe that he isn’t going to be much more than a dime a dozen guy out there.

That said, he has proven time and time again that he has mastered AAA and he has flashed at times up here, plus he can give us some length. I would like to see them stay with him for a while and give him a real chance.  With Coloumbe out, I would guess that is going to happen.

• Upvote 2

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Vespi makes a ton of sense with the Coulombe injury.

McKenna being sent down and not Cowser is a headscratcher to say the least. 

McKenna isn't of that much value beside his glove.  There is still the hope that Cowser will hit.  They know what they have in McKenna.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

They will still need to make another move when Hicks is ready. Seems like the consensus is that will be Cowser, although they could release Hicks. For now, Cowser survives, but I will expect even fewer opportunities with Mullins back.

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Not really. CC’s longterm potential far outweighs that of McKenna’s. It seems that they want CC to work with the hitting coaches at the ML level. I’m fine with that and happy that he survived this round. He needs the ML ABs to adjust to ML pitching. He can’t do that in Norfolk. He may go when Hicks returns but I’d hardly suggest that Cowser over McKenna is a head scratcher.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Not really. CC’s longterm potential far outweighs that of McKenna’s. It seems that they want CC to work with the hitting coaches at the ML level. I’m fine with that and happy that he survived this round. He needs the ML ABs to adjust to ML pitching. He can’t do that in Norfolk. He may go when Hicks returns but I’d hardly suggest that Cowser over McKenna is a head scratcher.  

How does Cowser get at bats with Mullins starting mostly?  Is he going to replace Hays or Santander?  Nope 

So the question really is whether getting him Norfolk ABs till rosters expand or limited/no ML bats is better.. i pick the former. 

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

How does Cowser get at bats with Mullins starting mostly?  Is he going to replace Hays or Santander?  Nope 

So the question really is whether getting him Norfolk ABs till rosters expand or limited/no ML bats is better.. i pick the former. 

Hays needs rest. Ant probably can use a day or two here and there. Ced is not going to play everyday for a couple of games, if not weeks. I’d expect CC to man the 4th OF spot and rotate between the three spots and serve as a late inning defensive replacement if ROH or Frazier get a spot start in the OF.

He very well could be sent to Norfolk when Hicks returns. We’ll see. It appears to me that the club wants CC to be in Baltimore right now. Can that change, especially as we get closer to rosters expanding to 28? Of course. I just think they would rather have him working with the coaches in Baltimore right now.  

16 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Hays needs rest. Ant probably can use a day or two here and there. Ced is not going to play everyday for a couple of games, if not weeks. I’d expect CC to man the 4th OF spot and rotate between the three spots and serve as a late inning defensive replacement if ROH or Frazier get a spot start in the OF.

He very well could be sent to Norfolk when Hicks returns. We’ll see. It appears to me that the club wants CC to be in Baltimore right now. Can that change, especially as we get closer to rosters expanding to 28? Of course. I just think they would rather have him working with the coaches in Baltimore right now.  

Could be .. so that means they DFA Hicks.. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Could be .. so that means they DFA Hicks.. 

I doubt it. I think they like his ability to work counts and hit from both sides of the plate while being able to play all three outfield spots.

If the plan is to use CC sparingly then I agree, I would rather he get the consistent ABs at Norfolk. At least for now, it seems that they want him in Baltimore. We’ll see what happens when Hicks comes off the IL after this weekend. 

Cowser stays because we face three straight right handers pretty easy decision imo.   I doubt Cedric plays 3 straight games in center so you want Cowser to get a start in field one of these nights with a right hander starting.   When Hicks comes back you send Cowser down.  

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

McKenna isn't of that much value beside his glove.  There is still the hope that Cowser will hit.  They know what they have in McKenna.

But he bats same side as Mullins and is not as good defender as Mckenna. Pains me to say all this I want McKenna off team.

37 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I doubt it. I think they like his ability to work counts and hit from both sides of the plate while being able to play all three outfield spots.

If the plan is to use CC sparingly then I agree, I would rather he get the consistent ABs at Norfolk. At least for now, it seems that they want him in Baltimore. We’ll see what happens when Hicks comes off the IL after this weekend. 

Well we can’t have two fourth outfielders .. someone has to go