We have to win the World Series

brucewayne

It has to happen this year or within the next handful of years while the window is open. Got to go for it. Grab the bull by the horns and win it all. In the mid 2010s we were a solid team, but I never got the feeling that we had the talent to win it all. This team can do it and more talent is coming. It's got to happen otherwise I might die without ever seeing an Orioles victory. I wasn't born until 1986. I have never experienced victory.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

It has to happen this year or within the next handful of years while the window is open. Got to go for it. Grab the bull by the horns and win it all. In the mid 2010s we were a solid team, but I never got the feeling that we had the talent to win it all. This team can do it and more talent is coming. It's got to happen otherwise I might die without ever seeing an Orioles victory. I wasn't born until 1986. I have never experienced victory.

Dude, I'm a year older than you. Relax. We've got decades.

1 hour ago, brucewayne said:

Settle down Beavis.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

There is no bull and no horns. Billionaire owner cries poor. There won’t be extensions or major free agents. It’s all on Elias and luck. So far, so good. We’ll see Gibson/Frazier type signings and Fujinami/Irvin type trades and we’ll like it. There is no other choice. That is bird land. 

I mean, there’s little doubt that the next several years will provide the best opportunity the O’s have had to win a World Series in many years.  I too hope that the O’s can grab at least one over the next several years, and hopefully more than one.  And this year isn’t too soon, even if it’s realistic to believe that the team may not be at its peak on the talent/experience curve yet.  

That said, we all know the best team doesn’t always win the WS.   I personally believe that the 1969, 1971, and 1979 Orioles were better than the teams that beat them, but they didn’t get it done.  The 1973 O’s were better than the Oakland team that beat them, too.  I could go on, and it’s not just true for the Orioles. 

So, I’m hoping the roulette wheel spins in our favor at least once.  The best odds of that happening comes from getting as many spins as possible, as opposed to putting all our chips on one particular spin.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2023 at 4:15 PM, oriole said:

There is no bull and no horns. Billionaire owner cries poor. There won’t be extensions or major free agents. It’s all on Elias and luck. So far, so good. We’ll see Gibson/Frazier type signings and Fujinami/Irvin type trades and we’ll like it. There is no other choice. That is bird land. 

Well there is that.

The 2014 team was talented enough to at least get to a WS (if not win it), even without Machado, Davis and Wieters. They just ran into a white hot team and got swept. Happens. 

This team has great talent, but lacks experience. I'd love for them to win a championship, something they haven't done in my lifetime. But there are no guarantees. If they continue to have a great process in place for building the team, having this kind of talent won't be an anomaly but a norm. Hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Natty said:

Well there is that.

I am still of the opinion that both Irvin and Fuji are going to play big roles in the O's success as we enter the last quarter of the season. Irvin was my sleeper pick coming into the year and while he greatly underperformed early, he's pitched pretty well for the last two + months of the season. 

In the 40 IP since June Irvin has pitched to a 3.15 ERA with about a 4/1 K/BB. He had the 1.1 IP clunker against the Jankees a few weeks ago when he gave up 5 runs (4 ER) but other than that he's been pretty solid. I'll take a 3.15 ERA from anyone on the staff. Guess what though - In his six starts since June (28.2 IP 7 ER) Irvin pitched to a 2.23 ERA.

I posted it a few times in the last couple of weeks; I think he's pitched well enough to earn himself the opportunity to again be a starter so I am glad that he has been given the chance. We'll see what he does with the opportunity but if the game against Seattle on Saturday is any indication of what we may see from Irvin, I'm excited. 

40 years! How are some of you so nonchalant about wanting to win a World Series this year?

Sure we have a solid team that should be hopefully competitive for the next few years but nothing is guaranteed in the coming years. Should we just hang our hat on being in first place and having the best farm system? Whoopee do. 

Edited by Os4days

2 minutes ago, Os4days said:

40 years! How are some of you so nonchalant about wanting to win a World Series this year?

Sure we have a solid team that should be hopefully competitive for the next few years but nothing is guaranteed in the coming years. Should we just hang our hat on being in first place and having the best farm system? Whoopee do. 

It's not nonchalant.

It's the understanding that the playoffs are a crapshoot.  You can build a team to have great success in the regular season.  Thus far the Orioles have done that.

You can't really build a team to win in the playoffs.  You just hope that in each series of coin flips your guys play better than the other guys.