Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Are you more disappointed by the move, or by the fact that Cowser looks lost anytime he is in the batters box or when a ball is hit in his direction? 

Eh I think that's overstating it a smidge. While he was maybe a little too patient at times (not unlike Henderson earlier this year... remember that 🤔), he was pretty unlucky when he made contact. 

I don't particularly care either way as long as they keep winning baseball games. 

End of the day, Cowser didn't make the decision hard enough.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Malike said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but this was the right move. If Cowser isn't going to play every day up here he should be playing every day in AAA.

It was the right move and Hicks has proven he can be a valuable role player in the outfield. Something that Cowser wasn't giving the team and he'll be back. He needs to go to Norfolk where he'll play everyday.

• Upvote 1

As expected. It was the most sensible and rational move. People seem to forget this team survived Cedric's first stint on the IL thanks to the help of Hicks both with his bat and his glove.  He's also on a major league contract, not a minor league deal. And Cowser disappointed but he still has 4 options this season and 2 more option years, and he has not yet burned a full season of team control. This preserves his service time while he makes corrections to his skills.

Hicks and Cowser are both outfielders so we aren't swapping pitcher or infielder for an outfielder and there can only be 26 players on the active MLB roster.

To summarize: Math doesn't lie.

I think it's just alot more disappointing for the fans who clamored with excitement months ago to call Cowser up and that's what we are seeing in the OP.  But he just hasn't performed the way it was hoped for, and there's not many ABs for him in Baltimore at the moment with our top 2 centerfielders on the depth chart coming off the IL. 

But not to worry: With a longer apprenticeship in Norfolk, we will see The Return Of The Jedi when he's mastered his skills. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Good move considering the present circumstances.

Hicks has playoff experience; he hasn't performed great as of late, but he plays Greater than or equal to D compared to Cowser, and his Offensive production was still better than Cowser overall. Perhaps he levels out and becomes league average with an OBP tool and slides into a 4th OF role providing a LH bat off the bench.

Cowser will no doubt go down to AAA with a plan. They gathered enough film and data to identify some things to work on. He will also be eligible for ROY in 2024 still

14 Position guys heading into September?

1. Adley

2. McCann

3. Mountcastle

4. O'Hearn

5. Frazier

6. Gunnar

7. Urias

8. Westburg

9. Hays

10. Mullins

11. Hicks

12. Santander

13. Mateo

14. Cowser/Ortiz/Kjerstad/McKenna/Beimboom?

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Eh I think that's overstating it a smidge. While he was maybe a little too patient at times (not unlike Henderson earlier this year... remember that 🤔), he was pretty unlucky when he made contact. 

I don't particularly care either way as long as they keep winning baseball games. 

Agreed.  I think Cowser is going to be a very good player.   I just don't think he showed enough in his limited time up.   Let him get back in the groove in AAA.

Edited by clapdiddy

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What stat said he was unlucky?

I do remember that he had what seemed to be a very lucky double. 

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Are you more disappointed by the move, or by the fact that Cowser looks lost anytime he is in the batters box or when a ball is hit in his direction? 

Or by the stupidity of your post?  Actually, that’s expected, so I’m not disappointed.

Just now, eddie83 said:

I’m sure releasing Hicks would have played well in the clubhouse. 

Lol..yea I’m sure. They have known the guy for a few months and he has been out for part of that time.

Meanwhile, Cowser is part of a group of very close friends who have been close for multiple years and is already a big part of the clubhouse.

But yea, I’m sure they would be far more upset about Hicks. Hell, we better hope this whole thing doesn’t fall apart because they DFA’ed Givens.

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

Orioles Hangout never disappoints.  Posters are clamoring for Cowser to get sent down.  When he in fact does, it's suddenly a bad move.  He may have a bright future, he may not.  But now is NOT the time to give him AB's in Baltimore in the middle of a pennant chase.

This is a move that a winning ballclub makes - not one that continues to see what it can squeeze from a lemon (at least through now).  With Mullins back, the OF is now Hays, Mullins, and combo of O'Hearn and Santander from left to right.  Hicks is the super sub now in the OF.

Cowser can now get some regular ABs in Norfolk in hopes of preparing for 2024.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the downside.

There were disagreements from different posters on what to do with Cowser, now granted, most wanted him sent down, but there were some like SG who were against it. I don't really see the big problem; he's not going to be down for long and he's not hitting. It was obvious this was going to be the move for awhile.