Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Will probably be McKenna if it's just a fill-in.

I’m not just filling in. Hays has been a below average player since the All Star break. Cowser got his cup of coffee and couldn’t perform. If this was another tweak it could take up to a month. I would like to have a left fielder who can produce. Can’t be much worse.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’m not just filling in. Hays has been a below average player since the All Star break. Cowser got his cup of coffee and couldn’t perform. If this was another tweak it could take up to a month. I would like to have a left fielder who can produce. Can’t be much worse.

We already have Hays though. 

Something Grayson said in his post game last night stood out to me. He said he was glad to go back to AAA where you can actually just work on things and not worry about winning the games, the MiL are for development and he was glad to go down there and just be able to find himself. I suspect Cowser will get his mojo back, without the pressure to impress and be a better player for it, probably even this season.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Something Grayson said in his post game last night stood out to me. He said he was glad to go back to AAA where you can actually just work on things and not worry about winning the games, the MiL are for development and he was glad to go down there and just be able to find himself. I suspect Cowser will get his mojo back, without the pressure to impress and be a better player for it, probably even this season.

Would love the follow up question to be…Do you think you couldn’t have gotten back on track had you stayed in the majors?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Would love the follow up question to be…Do you think you couldn’t have gotten back on track had you stayed in the majors?

It would have been interesting, but he did infer that the pressure to perform because the team is winning disappeared and allowed him to relax and work on things that he could have likely worked on up here, but it would have likely reflected negatively on the record of the team. These kids are 23 years old and on the team with the best record in the AL. I think the pressure to perform right out of the gate is sometimes easy to get into people's heads and makes them press.

Look, this team arrived early, I think there was every intention this year to play decent, competitive baseball, and let the young guys take all the lumps, but they just kept winning and that luxury went away.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They didn't ask it exactly that way but it was something similar. He did say that going to the minors was the best place for him at the time and there were things he worked on there that he couldn't have worked on in the majors. 

The difference between Grayson and Cowser was the limited time Grayson had in AAA due to the injury and it was obvious in ST he wasn’t ready and still had to prove some stuff in the minors.

Cowser doesn’t really have that.

And of course the pressure is off in the minors. That’s obvious and doesn’t really need to be said. 

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The difference between Grayson and Cowser was the limited time Grayson had in AAA due to the injury and it was obvious in ST he wasn’t ready and still had to prove some stuff in the minors.

Cowser doesn’t really have that.

And of course the pressure is off in the minors. That’s obvious and doesn’t really need to be said. 

The pressure was clearly getting to Cowser, that doesn't really need to be said either. His own manager, who I'm going to assume has more of a pulse on what exactly is going on with Cowser thinks that's the case, so I'm going to defer to him over anyone on this board. This team has pushed the right button pretty much all year.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

The pressure was clearly getting to Cowser, that doesn't really need to be said either. His own manager, who I'm going to assume has more of a pulse on what exactly is going on with Cowser thinks that's the case, so I'm going to defer to him over anyone on this board. This team has pushed the right button pretty much all year.

What Hyde said was coach/manager speak…literally from the handbook of what to say when a player is sent down.

It doesn’t mean he couldn’t have overcome it had he stayed up here.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

What Hyde said was coach/manager speak…literally from the handbook of what to say when a player is sent down.

He literally said he's frozen at the plate. He's caught in between and seems like he's not ready to hit at this level. He didn't use useless cliches. He said the league got aggressive with him and he's not able to relax in the box and got frozen.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We can't afford the luxury of "letting him overcome it" when we are in a pennant race. He was not hitting, plain and simple. 

It doesn't mean he won't still be a good player down the road. But right now he does not belong on a big league roster

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They did ask him that, and he said words to the effect of he didn’t really know, but it would have been harder. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They did ask him that, and he basically said no, he needed to go down and work on stuff.   Go to about the halfway mark on this video:

https://video.masnsports.com/video/Grayson Rodriguez following great start at San Diego /4961