Gibson was unimpressive last night...another decent team(not the A's) would have knocked him out early.

Roy Firestone

I realize these pitchers have tired arms, but that A's lineup was one of the weakest I ever saw, and yet they had 9 hits and 4 runs off Gibson  in only 5 innings...Gibson  was also lousy in his last start...I'm not sure the Orioles have an answer for these pitchers who cant even get to the sixth inning..but they better hope Wells and Means can give us SOMETHING. Right now, I dont see how our pitching will hold up in the next 6 weeks...and beyond.if we get there..

• Upvote 2

I realize these pitchers have tired arms, but that A's lineup was one of the weakest I ever saw, and yet they had 9 hits and 4 runs off Gibson  in only 5 innings...Gibson  was also lousy in his last start...I'm not sure the Orioles have an answer for these pitchers who cant even get to the sixth inning..but they better hope Wells and Means can give us SOMETHING. Right now, I dont see how our pitching will hold up in the next 6 weeks...and beyond.if we get there..

30 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

In Gibson's last two games he's given up 21 hits, and 13 runs in 11 innings.

In the two prior games he gave up 8 hits and 4 runs  in 13 innings, incuding a gem against Toronto.  

Gibson is like a racehorse.  You never know who will come out of the barn.  

Edited by Baltimorecuse

43 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yes, where is the TOR we should have picked up at the trade deadline? The one who could help carry us to postseason victories.  

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Another vet guy who Struggled in his first start since the 6 man rotation.  Could be nothing, could be something to watch.

I’m no longer a pro, semi-pro or even serious athlete on sports or lifting but even now in my everyday life, if my routine is disrupted it can have hugely negative repercussions. I’m not super anal about it like even when I was holding onto the dream but even simple things like this morning, when my new neighbor needed my help, which threw off my morning by only fifteen minutes, it’s impacted my entire day and I haven’t been able to recalibrate yet, five hours later. 

Guys that were far more successful than I ever could be, who I played with, were way more rigorous with their routine than me (perhaps a reason why they were better than me) so a guy like Gibson who doesn’t possess overpowering stuff or have overwhelming talent in which he can rely to be successful, probably do struggle with their process being interrupted. I think it’s something. Can they adjust? I sure hope so. This is why they’re paid to play the game and guys like me post about their performance on message boards. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Another vet guy who Struggled in his first start since the 6 man rotation.  Could be nothing, could be something to watch.

I am a firm believer that players perform better when they know their roles and can control their routine. I also agree with Roy, just about everyone looks gassed. However, you have 6 starters so use the freshest (Irvin) to allow each of the other 5 to skip a start, actually have 9-10 days of relative down time. Throw a long BP session on the skipped day but other wise keep everything the same. Same with BP. Last year Perez, Baker were setup guys for Felix and did well after the Lopez trade. In ST Cano comes outta nowhere and Hyde made him setup guy and Baker, Perez were basically demoted, their roles undefined. I believe that affects their preparation mentally and hence their performance. I refuse to believe that the SigBot overlooked a career lacking control based on a few ST innings. Use Fuji and Webb more, hope the replacements arrive soon, use the Norfolk shuttle more, let your long guys go longer than 1 inning.

I think we have no answers and will have to play it day by day.  Gibson has a history of melting down at the end of the season.  Last year in Phili he was solid till September and was so bad down the stretch he was not on their post season roster.   Hope that does not happen to him this year.  He hopefully will get it together.