Cardinals Series.

Malike

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Well, Waino is on his farewell tour I believe. I guess I'm just not used to seeing the Cards in white-flag mode.

Makes me wonder what they would have done with Wainwright if they had been in contention like they expected to be. They could have moved him to the bullpen, but they would have had to seriously consider cutting him in his final year. Ouch. 

Feel a little bad for him. He needed 5 wins to get to 200 this year, seemed like a no brainer. He only has 3 and probably only has 3 starts left. 

We should be able to put up a bunch of runs on Wainwright.  

Chasing 300 wins, sure, I get that.  Chasing 200 seems a bit silly.  And perhaps I don't follow the NL a whole lot but I guess I've missed the boat on Adam Wainwright and what makes him so special.  

But, whatever.  I hope we pound him tonight with no remorse and give Means a lot of runs to work with.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Chasing 300 wins, sure, I get that.  Chasing 200 seems a bit silly.  And perhaps I don't follow the NL a whole lot but I guess I've missed the boat on Adam Wainwright and what makes him so special.  

But, whatever.  I hope we pound him tonight with no remorse and give Means a lot of runs to work with.

200 is a pretty significant milestone for a pitcher.    A nice round number.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think, like Yadi Molina, Wainwright is a little overrated nationally because of his association with the Cardinals' winning culture. But his peak was really excellent. He was also decent last year and got CY votes the year before that, so I doubt he or the team expected him to be this bad. 

-2.5 rWAR this year though is a Chris Davis like stain on the record. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Well, Waino is on his farewell tour I believe. I guess I'm just not used to seeing the Cards in white-flag mode.

Makes me wonder what they would have done with Wainwright if they had been in contention like they expected to be. They could have moved him to the bullpen, but they would have had to seriously consider cutting him in his final year. Ouch. 

It’s pretty sad.  He’s been a great pitcher for a long time.  On the other hand, he’s made $184 mm playing baseball, and got to spend his entire career on one team that went to the playoffs 12 times and won two World Seties.  So, I don’t feel that bad for the guy.  My conscience won’t pang if we bomb him tonight.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's definitely benefited from playing his whole career with the best organization in baseball. He's not one of the all-time giants of the game, but he's had more than a few great seasons as an ace, has been a pretty good playoff performer, and just overall very consistent.

I'd call his career special. He'd probably be in line for a statue if he'd done that for us his whole career.

He's run out of gas this year, but lately he's sprinkled in a couple of good/decent starts in between his clunkers.

I hope we get the full clunker treatment tonight.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty sad.  He’s been a great pitcher for a long time.  On the other hand, he’s made $184 mm playing baseball, and got to spend his entire career on one team that went to the playoffs 12 times and won two World Seties.  So, I don’t feel that bad for the guy.  My conscience won’t pang if we bomb him tonight.  

Looks like he may have stayed a year too long then. Personally I hope the O's thrash him.

27 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think, like Yadi Molina, Wainwright is a little overrated nationally because of his association with the Cardinals' winning culture.  

Unlike Yadi Molina, he didn’t know when it was time to quit.  Exquisite timing on Yadi’s part.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Unlike Yadi Molina, he didn’t know when it was time to quit.  Exquisite timing on Yadi’s part.   

Well Molina also had a severe dropoff in his last season-- .214 AVG and .535 OPS after making the All Star team and still being an acceptable hitter the year before.

But he got to ride into the sunset with Pujols on a playoff team, and he had catcher defense to save him from the WAR black hole. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Well Molina also had a severe dropoff in his last season-- .214 AVG and .535 OPS after making the All Star team and still being an acceptable hitter the year before.

But he got to ride into the sunset with Pujols on a playoff team, and he had catcher defense to save him from the WAR black hole. 

I'll never forget the Cardinals final playoff game last season when Molina was catching. It was in one of final innings of the game when Yadier decided to make a visit to the mound. But it wasn't like any other visit. He took his time very very alowly walking to and from the mound, and at one point he literally looked upward into the stands and just soaked it all in. It was in that moment you knew his career was coming to a close. He knew this would be his last time to enjoy the atmosphere of playing in a major league baseball game. And he soaked in every second of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'll never forget the Cardinals final playoff game last season when Molina was catching. It was in one of final innings of the game when Yadier decided to make a visit to the mound. But it wasn't like any other visit. He took his time very very alowly walking to and from the mound, and at one point he literally looked upward into the stands and just soaked it all in. It was in that moment you knew his career was coming to a close. He knew this would be his last time to enjoy the atmosphere of playing in a major league baseball game. And he soaked in every second of it.

Sounds like kind of a counterpart to Adley's famous moment at the beginning.

Today, Adley's a hair over 20% of the way to Yadi's career WAR in about 12% of the plate appearances, by B-Ref's reckoning.

15 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Sounds like kind of a counterpart to Adley's famous moment at the beginning.

Today, Adley's a hair over 20% of the way to Yadi's career WAR in about 12% of the plate appearances, by B-Ref's reckoning.

Among his other virtues, Yadi aged extremely well for a catcher.  

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

In a season of very few low points losing to Adam Wainwright and Drew Rom on back to back nights has to be up there. 

And that's not bad at all as a low point. I wd say that so far only the Mountain's injury ranks as a really bad turn. The fall-off in Mateo's performance is a distant second, Stowers/Cowser/Givens is third (and minor). Early-season Irvin and Grayson were temporary setbacks long since remedied.