John Means 2023 (finally)

Frobby

It’s finally time to start a thread on John Means’ major league performance in 2023, and the stakes of his first start are quite high.  Tampa is chasing us relentlessly, and Orioles’ starters have failed to go 5 innings in three consecutive games.   So here comes Means, who has thrown 5 innings in each of his last two AAA starts, tossing 86 and 67 pitches.   

It will be really interesting to see how effective Means is, how pitch-efficient he is, and how long Hyde lets him go if he’s pitching well.   On the latter point, I see no reason to baby him if he’s pitching well.  He’s thrown 86 down in AAA, so let him throw 90ish if the results are there.   

This is a very meaningful game in the context of what Means can provide us down the stretch, as well as the importance of the game itself.  I’m hoping we make it easy for Means by blowing Adam Wainwright sky-high.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s finally time to start a thread on John Means’ major league performance in 2023, and the stakes of his first start are quite high.  Tampa is chasing us relentlessly, and Orioles’ starters have failed to go 5 innings in three consecutive games.   So here comes Means, who has thrown 5 innings in each of his last two AAA starts, tossing 86 and 67 pitches.   

It will be really interesting to see how effective Means is, how pitch-efficient he is, and how long Hyde lets him go if he’s pitching well.   On the latter point, I see no reason to baby him if he’s pitching well.  He’s thrown 86 down in AAA, so let him throw 90ish if the results are there.   

This is a very meaningful game in the context of what Means can provide us down the stretch, as well as the importance of the game itself.  I’m hoping we make it easy for Means by blowing Adam Wainwright sky-high.

I'm all for him throwing 90 pitches, but hoping it's at least 6 innings of work. 

Roster management day today as Means was not one of the 14 Arms last night.

Of the relievers, only Yennier Cano got both Sunday and Monday off.

Irvin feels most expendable if Means is okay, but most indispensable tonight if he isn't, with Tampa 48 hours away.     If Gibson is bad tomorrow, I would not be surprised to see James McCann get a bit more work.

The Club perhaps already wants to have resources for a bullpen game for Flaherty scheduled for Game 2 Friday on Adam Jones' big night.

Krehbiel looks like a straightforward answer today.     He and Irvin the only two relievers with options who are low in the pecking order.

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Roster management day today as Means was not one of the 14 Arms last night.

Of the relievers, only Yennier Cano got both Sunday and Monday off.

Irvin feels most expendable if Means is okay, but most indispensable tonight if he isn't, with Tampa 48 hours away.     If Gibson is bad tomorrow, I would not be surprised to see James McCann get a bit more work.

The Club perhaps already wants to have resources for a bullpen game for Flaherty scheduled for Game 2 Friday on Adam Jones' big night.

Krehbiel looks like a straightforward answer today.     He and Irvin the only two relievers with options who are low in the pecking order.

Krehbiel has pitched well, but I agree, he goes because Irvin can supply some length if needed. Saying that, Irvin did just throw 39 pitches on Sunday so if he's not available tonight, he and Krehbiel could go down with Zimmerman getting promoted to provide length in case Means is unable to get into the 6th inning.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t expect 6 innings from him tonight.  I do hope for it.  But that’s expecting a lot first time out.  Just do enough for us to win. 

The only way he gets through 6 is if he is really pitch efficient. I’m expecting 80-85 pitches. StL is hitting well, so it’s not an easy matchup for him.

5 innings, 3 ER would be fine.

What I am hoping to see are real signs that he can be an asset down the stretch and in the playoffs. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1