Thursday September 21: Orioles vs Guardians, nationally televised on Fox

SteveA

3 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Interesting.  But both Fangraphs and MLB shows Orioles' relievers as only the 20th most used in terms of innings pitched -- 542 innings -- far fewer than Tampa at 618 innings (4th most).  So if the O's bullpen is struggling it's not because of the number of innings. 

So maybe recent bp struggles are more to do with the quality of the relievers we've picked up since the deadline like Fujinami and Lopez -- more so than the bp as a whole being overused.  

Are those numbers skewed by their occasional use of opener's?   If they have a reliever start and go an inning and then a "bulk pitcher" goes 4 or 5 innings, that game will show 8 relief innings.   But if the bulk guy had gone first and the opener had hten come in and pitch an inning, that game will show 4 or 5 relief innings.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No, most games used by relievers.

I still don't get it. But in any case, according to EddeeEddee, the Oriole bullpen is 20th in inning pitched. TB's has pitched almost 100 innings more. It makes total sense, since they rely on their bullpen to win games. It has to do with quality, not overuse. With all due respect, I am tired of reading this excuse all over this website.

37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Are those numbers skewed by their occasional use of opener's?   If they have a reliever start and go an inning and then a "bulk pitcher" goes 4 or 5 innings, that game will show 8 relief innings.   But if the bulk guy had gone first and the opener had hten come in and pitch an inning, that game will show 4 or 5 relief innings.

Could be the case, but I don't think that practice is used all that often, is it?