AFL Roster

waroriole

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Honest question, prior to Heston's awesome AFL campaign in 2022 and his stellar minor league season in 2023, would you have said the same thing? Would you have been as confident as you appear to be with your assessment? 

Rhodes never had the pedigree that Heston had when drafted. Despite the head start at pro ball, his numbers have been average to slightly above average. I can see why not many are excited. 

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Honest question, prior to Heston's awesome AFL campaign in 2022 and his stellar minor league season in 2023, would you have said the same thing? Would you have been as confident as you appear to be with your assessment? 

Well, Kjerstad was drafted no. 2, Rhodes was no. 76.   That’s a pretty big gap to start with.  The issue with Kjerstad was whether his health issues had permanently stripped him of some of his physical abilities.  It was pretty clear after the AFL season that the answer was no.  Tony had Kjerstad at no. 10 and Rhodes at no. 36 last Fall.  Fangraphs had Kjerstad at 7 and Rhodes at 31.   

Now, I hope Rhodes does have a great AFL and puts himself on the map.  I share your sentiment there.  But I think his ceiling is way lower than Kjerstad’s.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, Kjerstad was drafted no. 2, Rhodes was no. 76.   That’s a pretty big gap to start with.  The issue with Kjerstad was whether his health issues had permanently stripped him of some of his physical abilities.  It was pretty clear after the AFL season that the answer was no.  Tony had Kjerstad at no. 10 and Rhodes at no. 36 last Fall.  Fangraphs had Kjerstad at 7 and Rhodes at 31.   

Now, I hope Rhodes does have a great AFL and puts himself on the map.  I share your sentiment there.  But I think his ceiling is way lower than Kjerstad’s.  

All of these points are fair ones. However, Kjerstad was viewed as a bit of a reach at #2 and Rhodes was viewed as an "under the radar" type of pick at #76. Yes there is still a difference between the two at draft position ( and also different drafts) but perhaps not as much as the numbers might lead you to believe. Both were out of the SEC, but Kjerstad came from a more successful program and thus had a bit more hype. 

Rhodes hits the ball as hard as Kjerstad, maybe harder. He's got more speed than Kjerstad and may have a bit more defensive skill and versatility. Kjerstad has a better overall hit tool. 

It likely is a stretch to hope that Rhodes can do what Kjerstad did last year. But there are similarities in their games and a not entirely different pedigree. I'm glad Rhodes is getting the opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Rhodes never had the pedigree that Heston had when drafted. Despite the head start at pro ball, his numbers have been average to slightly above average. I can see why not many are excited. 

Actually, Rhodes was a draft eligible sophomore who a lot of folks thought was going to go back to Kentucky for his junior year. Had he done that he might have had a similar buzz. Also, his freshman year was adversely effected, like many in the 2021 class, by COVID. 

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Unequivocally yes.  HL was a first rounder considering the best LHH in the draft.  Rhodes is a solid all-around guy but no “carrying tool” as of yet.  

Actually, Rhodes "carrying tool" appears to be power. His exit velocities are reported to be at the top echelon of minor league hitters. I agree he hasn't put it all together yet but he has some serious tools.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Actually, Rhodes "carrying tool" appears to be power. His exit velocities are reported to be at the top echelon of minor league hitters. I agree he hasn't put it all together yet but he has some serious tools.

No doubt.  Kid just had a solid AA season, of course he has tools.  Your question was in comparison to HK.  

Sounds like you may have access to stats I don’t?  Does what you’re looking at have his 90th percentile on EV?  

Rhodes did better tapping into his power this year than previously.  Even if it came with a higher K%.  He’s an athlete certainly which helps all aspects of the game.  Solid speed and solid OF defensively.  He’s a year younger than HK iirc, so maybe Rhodes finds that next gear.  

Rhodes’ numbers were better than I thought.  Still not HK level but very good.  

The trick for him is separating himself from the Haskins, Fontana, Stowers, Cook tier of players.  

• Upvote 1

This is the tidbit on EVs for JR.

"My average exit velocity for the month of June was one of the top 10 in all of baseball. I hit more balls over 100 mph last month than I had all of last season."

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2023/jul/10/former-chattanooga-christian-star-john-rhodes-a/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TimesFreePress

• Upvote 1

Not to be a wet blanket, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Rhodes and Cook start next season in AA.

We’re winning now and need to use Norfolk as a taxi squad for players that are immediately ready to step into the majors. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Daz Cameron back especially with Hicks being a FA, and McKenna out of options next year. Cameron probably would’ve gotten the call this year when Mullins was out, but Hicks happened to be available. 

Stowers and Norby will get a lot of time in OF, and possibly Cowser to start the year. Then do we bring a guy back like Lester, who can wear an OF glove. Plus, Elias and Sig love picking up guys that fit their models and with our recent success, we will start to attract a better quality milb FA. 

Cook and Rhodes get a good opportunity in the AFL to get some attention from the rest of the world of baseball. They’ve compiled some numbers. All it takes is one scout to fall in love, and then we could flip one in a trade. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not to be a wet blanket, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Rhodes and Cook start next season in AA.

We’re winning now and need to use Norfolk as a taxi squad for players that are immediately ready to step into the majors. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Daz Cameron back especially with Hicks being a FA, and McKenna out of options next year. Cameron probably would’ve gotten the call this year when Mullins was out, but Hicks happened to be available. 

Stowers and Norby will get a lot of time in OF, and possibly Cowser to start the year. Then do we bring a guy back like Lester, who can wear an OF glove. Plus, Elias and Sig love picking up guys that fit their models and with our recent success, we will start to attract a better quality milb FA. 

Cook and Rhodes get a good opportunity in the AFL to get some attention from the rest of the world of baseball. They’ve compiled some numbers. All it takes is one scout to fall in love, and then we could flip one in a trade. 

I would say for sure Rhodes, Beavers, and Fabian start next year in Bowies outfield.  60/40 that Cook starts in Norfolk even if it’s on the bench.  I doubt they view Cook as they do the others.   Cameron and Lewin Diaz are 6 year minor league FA who are out of options and I don’t expect either to last much longer in the organization.   

Edited by RZNJ