Coby Mayo named MVP of the Eastern League....this kid is coming on fast..and maybe we see him on the Oriole roster next season

Roy Firestone

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

In order for Mayo to get a promotion to the majors he will have to have  his glove catch up to his bat.  

Elias cares about defense.  The O's have the 4th best fielding percentage in the majors.   Elias will not want to see the O's fielding slip to get another potent bat.   They have too many players that can both play defense and hit well at 3B for that  which includes both Westburg and Ortiz.

Mayo fielding percentage at 3B this year is .919.    Urias is .966,  Gunnar's is .968, Westburg's is at AAA is .956 and in the majors is .976.   Ortiz is 1.000 at AAA in only 9 games.  But Ortiz is known for his glove.

Some may say move Mayo to 1B.   His fielding percentage at 1B is .985 compare to Mountcastle at .997 and O'Hearn at .996.

Bottom line Mayo has some work to do on his defense to get a promotion to the majors.

I agree with this, but I’m going to offer two counterpoints:

1.  Fielding percentages of players on the left side of the infield in the minors are almost always worse than they are when those same players reach the majors.  First, the fields are better maintained so you get fewer weird or inconsistent hops.  Second, you have better defensive 1B to bail out your imperfect throws.   So the same exact guy who fields .920 in the minors might field .960 in the majors.   

2. Mayo’s sample size at 1B is really small.  He only has 202 chances over there.  He should pick things up with more reps.

Again, I do agree that Mountcastle needs to sharpen up his defense before he will earn a call up.  I’m just saying the gap may not be as big as the numbers appear.  

Personally, I think his likely future home is 1B.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this, but I’m going to offer two counterpoints:

1.  Fielding percentages of players on the left side of the infield in the minors are almost always worse than they are when those same players reach the majors.  First, the fields are better maintained so you get fewer weird or inconsistent hops.  Second, you have better defensive 1B to bail out your imperfect throws.   So the same exact guy who fields .920 in the minors might field .960 in the majors.   

2. Mayo’s sample size at 1B is really small.  He only has 202 chances over there.  He should pick things up with more reps.

Again, I do agree that Mountcastle needs to sharpen up his defense before he will earn a call up.  I’m just saying the gap may not be as big as the numbers appear.  

Personally, I think his likely future home is 1B.

Mayo's future may be at 1B but the small sample size you mention show the O's have not given him the opportunity to play there enough to be promoted to the majors at that position.

I don't think Mayo should be traded.  I think he should be developed.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mayo's future may be at 1B but the small sample size you mention show the O's have not given him the opportunity to play there enough to be promoted to the majors at that position.

I don't think Mayo should be traded.  I think he should be developed.

I agree on both points. 

A right handed pull side power hitter at a crowded position is not really in demand on this team in this ballpark. Count me as one that would like to see what’s out there that he could be traded for.

I won’t cry about it if they keep him though, the prospects are heavily left handed so a good right handed bat would help balance that. But as a 3B he’d have to supplant to Henderson or Holliday. He could play 1B but that’d mean replacing our only other right handed power hitter. DH is a cop out, especially with Rutschman needing a lot of at bats there and Kjerstad possibly being a full time DH. And LF is too big for someone who hasn’t played the outfield. I don’t know about RF, his arm could work there but again…he doesn’t have any OF experience.

it just seems easier to package him for a trade for a solid SP.

38 minutes ago, oriole said:

A right handed pull side power hitter at a crowded position is not really in demand on this team in this ballpark. Count me as one that would like to see what’s out there that he could be traded for.

I won’t cry about it if they keep him though, the prospects are heavily left handed so a good right handed bat would help balance that. But as a 3B he’d have to supplant to Henderson or Holliday. He could play 1B but that’d mean replacing our only other right handed power hitter. DH is a cop out, especially with Rutschman needing a lot of at bats there and Kjerstad possibly being a full time DH. And LF is too big for someone who hasn’t played the outfield. I don’t know about RF, his arm could work there but again…he doesn’t have any OF experience.

it just seems easier to package him for a trade for a solid SP.

So we just punt on RH power altogether now? Maybe BIG RH power (Mayo) is the answer to overcome the Wall, and then he can feast even more in away games. Otherwise teams will adjust and just throw more LHP at us. 

Edited by now

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Ok...you got me...My real name is Coby Mayo and I've been trying to make a name for myself on Oriole Hangout...this is where, I hope ,Mike Elias will realize I belong on the Oriole roster next year....and early...

Man, I remember when you joined back in April 2007, when you were…5? 😂

The team is closing in on 100 wins.  The current squad hasn’t hit its potential yet.  AND there are two high-end impact players (Holiday & Mayo) who are ready to contribute at MLB. AND three MLB ready solid contributors (Ortiz, Cowser, Norby).  All the above with the monster Basallo lurking right behind them leading additional reinforcements.  It’s truly remarkable.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, now said:

So we just punt on RH power altogether now? Maybe BIG RH power (Mayo) is the answer to overcome the Wall, and then he can feast even more in away games. Otherwise teams will adjust and just throw more LHP at us. 

Not sure I said punt, actually I’m completely sure I did not insinuate that.

I think when you’ve got too many valuable prospects for too little positions then you’ve got to figure out which ones are a fit contextually with the players they’re competing with for spots AND how they fit in the overall demand of that team. Mayo doesn’t have a clear path to the majors and his best offensive attribute would be flattened by the park he’d play in for half his games. I think it’s a stretch to call it punting on him with all that considered. 

The fact is, no matter how much power Mayo has, he’s going to lose some homers to the LF wall.  He’s quite capable of clearing it, but there are going to be 370 -395 foot fly balls that would be out in some other stadiums but not in Camden Yards.  It happens to Mountcastle, it happens to Hays, it happened to Mancini, and it’ll happen to Mayo.   But I’m not bothered by that.  He’ll hit more homers over that wall than most other players would, he’ll hit homers in other places in the ballpark, and he’ll hit homers on the road.  And he’ll hit a crap load of doubles, just as he has this year (45).   So long as Mayo is able to make good contact against major league pitching, his contact to damage ratio (as Buck liked to say) will be high.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The fact is, no matter how much power Mayo has, he’s going to lose some homers to the LF wall.  He’s quite capable of clearing it, but there are going to be 370 -395 foot fly balls that would be out in some other stadiums but not in Camden Yards.  It happens to Mountcastle, it happens to Hays, it happened to Mancini, and it’ll happen to Mayo.   But I’m not bothered by that.  He’ll hit more homers over that wall than most other players would, he’ll hit homers in other places in the ballpark, and he’ll hit homers on the road.  And he’ll hit a crap load of doubles, just as he has this year (45).   So long as Mayo is able to make good contact against major league pitching, his contact to damage ratio (as Buck liked to say) will be high.  

Frobby - your takes are always well reasoned and interesting.  Thanks for always posting.