Dunn to the Nats

fearthenoodle

Until there is more to do in the neighborhood other than just go to the game -- or the Nats start winning -- the Nats will draw poorly at the gate. And that could be with 3 players hitting 40+ HR.

It certainly helps to have some interesting players. The year Soriano played for Washington the fans were definitely into him. And at least the Dunn signing signals that the team is trying to do something. The stadium is very nice and I think their attendance can be decent if people feel there is something interesting to go see, even if they aren't a winning team. Last year, if they had been playing in RFK, they would have seen a real plummet because the team was not only awful, but it had nothing interesting going on.

That said, with the economy the way it is, I'm sure their attendance will drop significantly in 2009.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That said, with the economy the way it is, I'm sure their attendance will drop significantly in 2009.

Unless they actually fake their way into contention and rework some of their more ridiculous ticket prices.

PECOTA had them winning 79 games (IIRC) before they signed Dunn. They're probably up to 80 or 81 now. Although that is with some head-scratching predictions like Christian Guzman hitting .324 and Johnson getting over 500 PAs.

Eh, I just think it is a poor move for the organization. They do not need Dunn. He will not help them do much of anything and probably won't be worth much in two years. In turn, they burn 20MM they could have used in signing draft picks . . . like Aaron Crow . . . or lining scouts and GMs' pockets . . . I mean signing foreign talent.

Eh, I just think it is a poor move for the organization. They do not need Dunn. He will not help them do much of anything and probably won't be worth much in two years. In turn, they burn 20MM they could have used in signing draft picks . . . like Aaron Crow . . . or lining scouts and GMs' pockets . . . I mean signing foreign talent.

Well, they'll definitely have the pressure on this year to sign Strasburg after losing Crow. That may end up working out for them in the long run.

Well, they'll definitely have the pressure on this year to sign Strasburg after losing Crow. That may end up working out for them in the long run.

Well, they would still have the opportunity to sign him regardless of what happened with Crow last year. Not sure how anything works for them in the long run. They need to sign their 1st rounders.

Well, they would still have the opportunity to sign him regardless of what happened with Crow last year. Not sure how anything works for them in the long run. They need to sign their 1st rounders.

My point isthat they may be better off because from what I've read about the draft sounds like Crow's potential may not be viewed as high as it was this time last year (this may have just been one scout's oppinion though). I believe they still have the number 10 pick as compensation. So that pick may wind up being better than Crow. I'll emphasize "may." But yes, to your point, it doesn't matter who they draft if they can't sign them. They'll be under a lot of pressure to sign Strasburg.

A radio show in Washington hinted at the fact that the Nationals were in on the Teixeira sweepstakes to bump up his price for the Yankees, and in return, the "wheels will be greased" to sign Strasburg. I don't necessarily believe that, but that's what is being floated around.

Archived