Dunn to the Nats

fearthenoodle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Nats will be a lot like us: good offense with a young OF and terrible pitching.

They also have terrible defense though. Either Dunn or Willingham will be at first and the other will be in the outfield, both will be below average defensively for their position. Lastings Milledge is a defensive liability as well, as is Guzman. The only guys who play even average defense in the lineup are the winner of the Dukes/Kearns/Harris scrum in the outfield, Zimmerman and maybe Anderson Hernandez if he can hit well enough to stay in the lineup.

They also have terrible defense though. Either Dunn or Willingham will be at first and the other will be in the outfield, both will be below average defensively for their position. Lastings Milledge is a defensive liability as well, as is Guzman. The only guys who play even average defense in the lineup are the winner of the Dukes/Kearns/Harris scrum in the outfield, Zimmerman and maybe Anderson Hernandez if he can hit well enough to stay in the lineup.

Yea I agree.

The Nats may have a young outfield, but it doesnt mean that they are good. They have potential, but none of them are proven.

Who knows what you will get from Milledge and Dukes, they both had average seasons last year.

You know what you hvae from Markakis and Scott, and even Jones is far along. We have a much more proven outfield than the Nationals.

You cant deny that they are a bad team, because they are. Hernandez is basically Luis Hernandez, perhaps a little better.

They will be better though, Dunn will atleast provide some protection for Zimmerman, that guy saw nothing to hit because they had no other hitters.

Oh, and I should also mention that the Nats have D-cab. :P

OK....I've caught a little flack for raising the hypothetical possibility that Dunn might actually drawn away some Orioles fans living in the DC suburbs.....and I did say it may not be significant. But if he starts putting up some big HR numbers....hitting some monster shots that get airplay on ESPN and MASN....I think there will be more than a few people who will go south instead of north to watch a game.

IMO, the Nats got a very good deal because of a down FA market....2/20 for Dunn is a steal. And, I'm willing to bet a beer that because the Nats, like the Orioles, have a pretty good young outfield, that Dunn winds up at 1B with the Nats...where he could have played for the Orioles, along with some DH'ing. I mean, it's not like Huff is going to be a defensive wizard.

People who decide to go to Nats games now have something to watch for. A moon shot from the big donkey.

They will still lose' date=' and lose a bunch; it will just be a little bit more tolerable especially if you end up with a souvenir in right field.[/quote']

I don't care for the nats much, however you have to be impressed they actually signed and traded for legit players this off-season. None of the AAAA players or reclamation projects the O's picked up. I'd take Dunn and Johnson 10 times out of 10 before I'd take Wiggington and Uehara. I'm affraid to say it but I think the odds are good that the O's end up with the worst recorded in the Balt-Wash area.

Yea I agree.

The Nats may have a young outfield, but it doesnt mean that they are good. They have potential, but none of them are proven.

Who knows what you will get from Milledge and Dukes, they both had average seasons last year.

You know what you hvae from Markakis and Scott, and even Jones is far along. We have a much more proven outfield than the Nationals.

You cant deny that they are a bad team, because they are. Hernandez is basically Luis Hernandez, perhaps a little better.

They will be better though, Dunn will atleast provide some protection for Zimmerman, that guy saw nothing to hit because they had no other hitters.

Oh, and I should also mention that the Nats have D-cab. :P

Dukes was really good last year (.264/.386/.478), albeit playing only about half the season in the majors. He's also pretty good defensively, as a corner OF at least. The Nats actually have a lot of pretty good players, and Jim Bowden knows how to make trades - the problem is he has no idea how to assemble a roster. They have about 8 players fighting over 4 positions (Kearns / Milledge / Dukes / Harris / Johnson / Young / Willingham / Dunn). About half of their roster (not just the outfield) is also a defensive liability, which isn't good when your rotation has huge question marks.

The Marlins always manage to finish around .500 no matter how many players they trade away, while the Mets and Phillies will obviously be much better than everyone else. The Braves are making a push for contention themselves. It's not as competitive as the AL East but I still can't see the Nats winning 81 games next year. You'd need like 10 things to happen (Daniel Cabrera and Scott Olsen suddenly live up to their potential, Dan Johnson is healthy for the whole season, Dukes and Milledge have full seasons at their potential, Guzman doesn't regress, Belliard has a renaissance, Zimmerman is healthy and plays to his potential...)

I don't care for the nats much, however you have to be impressed they actually signed and traded for legit players this off-season. None of the AAAA players or reclamation projects the O's picked up. I'd take Dunn and Johnson 10 times out of 10 before I'd take Wiggington and Uehara. I'm affraid to say it but I think the odds are good that the O's end up with the worst recorded in the Balt-Wash area.

Who is "Johnson"?

Their main pick-ups are Cabrera and Willingham, both essentially reclaimation projects. Plus, at least we have Guthrie and even Uehara; they don't even have that for their rotation.

You should be afraid to say they will be better because you are likely to be very wrong.

The Nats will be a lot like us: good offense with a young OF and terrible pitching.

There projected rotation should look something like: Lannan-Olsen-Cabrera-Balester-Hill.

That's not an awful rotation, IMO. I think Balester is going to be decent, I expect Lannan to come back to earth a little bit, but he should still have an ERA in the 4.00-4.25 range. Scott Olsen will benefit form a change of scenery, IMO, D-Cab might too.

I think the rotation has the potential to be much better than people think.

When comparing the O's and the Nats it's important to remember that they're not competing on a level field. For example, PECOTA has the O's as a mid-to-high 70s win team. Just like the Nats. But it's pretty safe to assume that putting the O's in the NL East, and the Nats in the AL East would shift each team's record by eight or 10 games.

OK....I've caught a little flack for raising the hypothetical possibility that Dunn might actually drawn away some Orioles fans living in the DC suburbs.....and I did say it may not be significant. But if he starts putting up some big HR numbers....hitting some monster shots that get airplay on ESPN and MASN....I think there will be more than a few people who will go south instead of north to watch a game.

IMO, the Nats got a very good deal because of a down FA market....2/20 for Dunn is a steal. And, I'm willing to bet a beer that because the Nats, like the Orioles, have a pretty good young outfield, that Dunn winds up at 1B with the Nats...where he could have played for the Orioles, along with some DH'ing. I mean, it's not like Huff is going to be a defensive wizard.

Until there is more to do in the neighborhood other than just go to the game -- or the Nats start winning -- the Nats will draw poorly at the gate. And that could be with 3 players hitting 40+ HR.

Archived