ALDS Game 3: Keeping hope alive

SteveA

14 minutes ago, TimD said:

When the O's lost that first game despite only giving up 3 runs to the scorching hot Rangers team, they were doomed.  

Maybe? Honestly with the way we are playing (in particular pitching) even if the Rays would have beaten the Rangers, I think the result would be similar.

IMO we have gone extremely far and bested every projection this year. IMO in order to get to the next level (postseason success) we are going to have to take a different approach to talent acquisition. Can’t just be the cheapest option.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Agreed in the playoffs timing matters to a great degree and how a team is playing. We are just not playing well right now and haven’t been for a few weeks.

But this is not on Hyde. We have to get better in the offseason to beat these caliber teams when it matters most. That’s on Elias/Angelos, not Hyde.

Thing is you can get all the better in the offseason you want.. win 105 next season and still cycle into a slump at playoffs time and out you go. 

Hard to complain about anything a GM has done to build a 101 win team 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Agreed, but the story of the postseason is that they've gotten to our starting pitching early. 

Kind of unexpected, but I think that missing John Means was more than this staff could handle against this kind of lineup.

You almost need a knuckleballer on the staff to break their rhythm 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Maybe? Honestly with the way we are playing (in particular pitching) even if the Rays would have beaten the Rangers, I think the result would be similar.

IMO we have gone extremely far and bested every projection this year. IMO in order to get to the next level (postseason success) we are going to have to take a different approach to talent acquisition. Can’t just be the cheapest option.

We will never know what would have happened but winning game one could have completely changed how this series went

7 minutes ago, ONUOsFan said:

I made a comment about the bye week the other day and got jumped on because the offense was bad at the end of the season, too, which is fair…but G-Rod and Kremer were rolling to end the season and needed to keep in the groove. 

Well, baseball is different than other sports.  Now, you always take the bye b/c it’s a 100% chance of advancing.  But I do think that its a disadvantage to have 5 days off.  With that said, game 1 that bats were cold, but pretty similar to the last week’s worth of games.  Grayson’s start was awful under any circumstances and is going to be a loss almost every time.  How do you win walking 11?  Likewise, Kremer was a disaster tonight.  The at bat against Lowe had a ton of foul balls, but he was missing his spot by a foot (Adley’s calling for a fast ball up and in and its low and away and gets fouled off).  

Wells is actually able to throw some pitches to get guys out when he gets two strikes on them.

Maybe another inning from him and an inning or two from DL?

And see if we can start chipping away ... unlikely I know.   Get 1 or 2 off Eovaldi and then hope someone comes out of the pen and shits the bed.