Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

Tampa will have good pitching, that’s a lock. Their offense should be good as well. I think we’ll be lucky if we get a WC spot next year, I’m definitely not expecting 100 wins. 

I doubt TB hits as well next year. That said they will be good. 

IMO we need probably 4 things to be on par with the very best teams.

1) Our young players to continue to improve with experience (Gunnar, Grayson, Adley, Holliday, etc to continue to grow through experience)

2) One good/veteran starting pitcher. Not the Kyle Gibson's of the world, but a guy that we can have confidence in to give the ball to when our season is on the line like a Blake Snell.

3) We need one experienced good veteran hitter. Not O'Hearn or Hicks. But a guy like J.D. Martinez or Justin Turner. A guy who has been there and done that and can anchor the middle of the order with some more power behind Santander.

4) We are going to need a good relief pitcher for the back of the bullpen. I'm not sure what Cano did this season is sustainable/repeatable AND we will not have Felix Bautista next year which is huge.

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

If that's what it takes, but there's enough in the cupboard to get done without him.

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree there. Logan Webb is not worth Jackson Holliday straight up. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good starter. But you can get that without giving up someone with superstar/special potential.

• Upvote 1

How many teams would love to have the kind of problems we have this winter? How many teams would like to have John Angelos making payroll decisions for them? So many variables going into this offseason. About the only benefit of a quick playoff exit is there’s less pressure on Elias to keep the band together next year. One other benefit is that these guys got a taste and are probably pretty bitter/hungry about ending a dream season so weakly. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO we need probably 4 things to be on par with the very best teams.

1) Our young players to continue to improve with experience (Gunnar, Grayson, Adley, Holliday, etc to continue to grow through experience)

2) One good/veteran starting pitcher. Not the Kyle Gibson's of the world, but a guy that we can have confidence in to give the ball to when our season is on the line like a Blake Snell.

3) We need one experienced good veteran hitter. Not O'Hearn or Hicks. But a guy like J.D. Martinez or Justin Turner. A guy who has been there and done that and can anchor the middle of the order with some more power behind Santander.

4) We are going to need a good relief pitcher for the back of the bullpen. I'm not sure what Cano did this season is sustainable/repeatable AND we will not have Felix Bautista next year which is huge.

Agree with you strongly on these points especially 2 and 3. The Orioles need a TOR pitcher in the vain of Blake Snell.

And I want a veteran established bat to play 1B/DH or corner outfield spot. I like Mountcastle, O'Hearn and Hays, but I want a stud hitter who is a real MOO bat. I don't think this is a must, but to position for a World Series run it will help.

I like Mayo and Kjerstad long term as hitters, but it's too much to ask them to be the guy next year.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Some major questions need to be answered:

1) Will they spend this offseason?

2) When will they be ready to bring up all the kids?

3) Is Hall a reliever next year?

4) What do you do with all these resources at your disposal?

5) to go with #2, how many of the vets under contract are you keeping ?

A big question for me is how to get Cowser/Kjerstad both on team. 

I think Hall stays in pen.