Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I just feel like any team at any time can have a BABIP like Texas put up in this series and you’re just screwed regardless.

It’s a long ass season that can end reaaaal quick. Like wow, what happened? 

Baseball!!!!

Well Felix got hurt and the pitching just isn’t as good as the record suggests. 

Just now, bpilktree said:

Starting pitching literally carried us tye 2nd half of the season but just got destroyed.  Once the Rangers beat Bradish I felt they had the confidence and there top 2 pitchers which turned the tables,  if we win game 1 the entire series is different,  

I think losing John Means for the series was the difference.  His presence in the rotation was a major shot in the arm the last several weeks of the season.  Even if a couple of our starters struggle, the ability to go to Means in Game 2 or 3 gives the O's a chance.  Without him everyone else has to be fairly dominant.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think they need to overhaul the pitching staff totally but they have the prospects to land one legit guy. They should absolutely do that.

Maybe but they need to get used to spending money again too.  They can't accomplish everything with trades.

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I am not gonna make assumptions on pitching based on two games while they pitched great most of the season.  

Ok, you don’t have to..but I will.

We need more guys that get Ks and miss bats. We have 2…we have a good pitcher in Means if he can get his stuff back.

But we need more. 

And it can not be overstated how different things are when the best closer in the sport isn’t there.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, you don’t have to..but I will.

We need more guys that get Ks and miss bats. We have 2…we have a good pitcher in Means if he can get his stuff back.

But we need more. 

And it can not be overstated how different things are when the best closer in the sport isn’t there.

I agree.  I think thinking otherwise will lead to disappointment given the expected regression of some of our staff.  That is not to mention the fact that we've been fairly fortunate on the injury front this year.

Edited by O's84
  • Upvote 1

Cot's is already bumped to 2024 with arbitration estimates.

They have the existing roster going from ~$61mm to ~$67mm even with Gibson/Frazier departing.

I noticed the arb estimates - Santander 11.5 just about exactly double Hays 5.8 if $$$/WAR factors are important.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x5bu-k__81Rfjcl98QDlTmqkKyIPCylQ4ieEsr73nAk/edit#gid=1520401900

Need a TOR arm.  Could use at least one and probably two experienced and proven BP arms.  Need more pitching depth in the minors in general.

Offense needs to improve too, although suspect much of that will need to come from within the organization, whether it be playing time for rookies or improvement from Gunnar and Adley.

Curious what the plan will be for our AAAA guys like Mateo and Urias (I realize that’s not an entirely fair assessment of their quality).