Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the other AL East teams are not going to stand pat.  It's going to be harder for them next season if they don't make a few key moves.

Tampa won’t have McClanahan next year and we will see about Franco but they could get healthier and be a big threat again. I’m honestly more worried about Toronto and Boston than NY for 2024.

Some talk that Boston is a real sleeper for Othani.

Edited by Sports Guy

I don’t think Elias is a fan of spending money on or trading top prospects for relievers, but I think we need two reliable back end bullpen arms.  He thinks we can pick them out of thin air and develop them, like Cano and some others. 

I am a little more bullish on us adding a high end starter, just not sure if it comes via trade or free agency. 

On the position end, I am more afraid of who we might sign/resign that blocks better players already in the organization.  I would rather them do nothing there. No Fraziers or Hickses please. 

Edited by ChuckS

Tbh, I don’t really have high hopes for free agency after this last offseason.  When is the last time this organization made a real splash?  The 90s?  Payroll was reasonable in the 2010s, but it’s not like they brought in any stars.  

Any real hot stove action will have to be on the trade front.

We need more/better pitching and hitting. With The Mountain out for the year and assuming Gibson and Flaherty are gone plus our penchant for close games this year, we need to step up in both categories. You can not have too much pitching. Even given this series, we will not be an afterthought next year. As I said in another thread, Elias has his work cut out for him and I HOPE he is given the resources to do what he wants to do. It will be interesting what mix he settles on.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tampa won’t have McClanahan next year and we will see about Franco but they could get healthier and be a big threat again. I’m honestly more worried about Toronto and Boston than NY for 2024.

Some talk that Boston is a real sleeper for Othani.

Tampa will be loaded

Yandy Diaz

Caminero/Franco (if hes there)

Arozarena

Raley

J Lowe

Paredes

B Lowe

Siri

Betencourt/FA

Glasnow, Rasmussen, Springs, Eflin, Civale, Baz

Plus whatever moves they decide to make. Yes I know Rasmussen and Springs and Baz are coming back from TJ and will miss more time. 

4 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Tbh, I don’t really have high hopes for free agency after this last offseason.  When is the last time this organization made a real splash?  The 90s?  Payroll was reasonable in the 2010s, but it’s not like they brought in any stars.  

Any real hot stove action will have to be on the trade front.

The last time we made a "big" splash was probably Ubaldo.. but the last time we really went out and got a star and probably out spent others to do so was Miguel Tejada heading into the 2004 season. 

1 minute ago, terpoh said:

Tampa will be loaded

Yandy Diaz

Caminero/Franco (if hes there)

Arozarena

Raley

J Lowe

Paredes

B Lowe

Siri

Betencourt/FA

Glasnow, Rasmussen, Springs, Eflin, Civale, Baz

Plus whatever moves they decide to make. Yes I know Rasmussen and Springs and Baz are coming back from TJ and will miss more time. 

Tampa will have good pitching, that’s a lock. Their offense should be good as well. I think we’ll be lucky if we get a WC spot next year, I’m definitely not expecting 100 wins. 

Not sure what Elias thinks, but will they still be looking at DL Hall as a starter? He's been pretty damn awesome since coming back up. I'm sure the stuff is playing up as a reliever but he always had stuff. Command has been much improved and so have the results. 

So you've got:

Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer, Wells, Hall  as guys on the roster. I think you can make a trade for a stud SP and then let the others fight it out for the 5th spot and also as much needed SP depth/bullpen help. But I am not counting out Hall if thats the route they take. He has been really impressive. 

Some major questions need to be answered:

1) Will they spend this offseason?

2) When will they be ready to bring up all the kids?

3) Is Hall a reliever next year?

4) What do you do with all these resources at your disposal?

5) to go with #2, how many of the vets under contract are you keeping ?

Edited by Sports Guy

The biggest question with pitching is what they do with Hall and Wells.   I think you put them in the pen and you have a very strong pen.  

Cano, Perez, Cloumbe, Hall, Wells, Webb, Irvin, Tate, Baumann, Baker  You add one strong right hander and we should be set.  

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The biggest question with pitching is what they do with Hall and Wells.   I think you put them in the pen and you have a very strong pen.  

Cano, Perez, Cloumbe, Hall, Wells, Webb, Irvin, Tate, Baumann, Baker  You add one strong right hander and we should be set.  

Webb, Baker, Baumann all stink

Tate probably does too

I will be fascinated to see how Elias approaches upgrades to the roster with eye toward asset consolidation and multi-year success.

1/ HK, Holliday and Mayo will be ready at some point next year.

2/ Wells and Hall…are they starter candidates or bullpen guys?  Or go outside the box with creative play to piggyback them as 5th starter and get 3-4 innings a piece.  Perhaps this all depends on what additional pitching can be acquired in offseason bc it does not appear that any minor league prospects ready to contribute.

3/ RMC and Ohearn platoon is not first division caliber.  Is 1B Mayo with DH of Santander/HK or make a short-term play for Pete Alonso who could add missing power/thump to the lineup (although defensive downgrade and impact from waltimore).  Then could offer QO and move on after 2024 and then install Basallo in 2025.

4/ OF…no idea where Elias thinking here with Hays/Mullins more role players and Santander solid but getting more expensive.  What is Cowser…I don’t think we really know.

it’s a very bright future given the young talent and minor league system. That being said, upgrading is not super straightforward.  Yeah everyone says spend on FAs, even if JA opens the checkbook, prices could be absurd given there are other up and coming teams who may spend that historically did not (Reds, Miami).

• Upvote 1