Last year’s big pitching contracts - how’d they do?

Frobby

56 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Outside of a few guys on that list, teams paid a fortune for pretty mediocre pitching.  Eovaldi is the only guy on that list that made sense for us AND was a realistic target.  I was hoping we signed him and was actually a little surprised he didn’t get a slightly bigger contract than he did.  

There was always going to be someone who slipped the cracks and he was the guy I felt would do that more than anyone else. He has his warts, mainly injury issues but he’s the guy they needed to pay up for.

Heaney is one of a few guys with opt-outs who also might become better than Lyles-Gibson options on a per-inning basis.

The Orioles had a lot of success against Bassitt - his yearly ERA drops to 3.20 if you back out his Orioles results.

Senga's success probably helps Yamamoto a good deal, and wow has Jordan Montgomery made himself some money this month.     One of the ALCS Game 1 interesting tidbits was Montgomery equaling Verlander velocity wise.

The last few years, $100mm has kind of settled in my mind as the basic guarantee for a Robbie Ray type.     I'd mostly thought of Montgomery like Taillon the next step down ~$60mm, but would be shocked now if he can command 5 x 20 rather than 4 x 16.

We now have a view of some of Eovaldi's escalators.     The 2/34 reporting I feel undersold it as it could have approached 3/60 like Bassitt's readily enough.

He got 144 of the 300 IP needed to guarantee his 1/20 option if he wants that for 2025, and an extra $1.5mm in 2023 salary for the first two IP incentives.      Some of these kind of features I do figure the Orioles would emulate if Elias does secure any 2-year type wins for maybe around a Giolito level pitcher.

2 years/$34M (2013)

• signed by Texas as a free agent 12/27/22
  • $2M signing bonus
  • 23:$16M, 24:$16M, 25:$20M player option if Eovaldi 1) pitches 300 innings combined in 2023-24
  • annual performance bonuses based on innings pitched: $750,000 each for 130, 140, 150, 160 IP

2 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

Verlander was the one I wanted.  I also thought Eovaldi made sense.  

I thought Rodon was the best of the bunch but would never have given him 6 years.

Both of these were who I wanted as well, both veterans with plenty of playoff experience.  I can understand them holding back on Verlander sure……but Eovaldi at that contract was a match made in heaven for us and we didn’t pull the trigger.  Honestly, that one felt like Peter’s medical staff was still in charge of contracts.  

On 10/17/2023 at 5:07 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Yup, wanted Bassitt. Oh well, watch the next two years be terrible. 

It seems like OH was collectively arguing for the team to pursue the most successful SP. Nobody was arguing for deGrom or Rodon, maybe partially because we knew there was no way we’d pay that much. But, many people were arguing for Bassitt, Verlander, and Eovladi as realistic options.