Infield alignment

RZNJ

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trout? Not saying the Os would add his deal(LA may eat some of it to move him anyway) but I think he would come here.

Trout would be a good fit if the teams were able to make the money/return work, I like that.  But those are definitely some big hurdles for clear, especially with LAA likely losing Ohtani this offseason and leaving Trout again as the only face of their franchise.  LAA is a mess right now, they should go for a full scale rebuild but ownership has resisted that to date. 

5 hours ago, The Goob said:

I would hope that by opening day some of this is settled via trades.  One thing that is striking to me (and it is not a one year fluke) is that the team that out homers their opponent in the postseason this year is 17-2.  While we need to play well in the regular season I would want to build a team that has the best chance to be successful in the postseason.  In Camden I think that means an emphasis on power and preferably left handed power and pitching that limits homers.  I think we have a good start on the pitching with Grayson and Bradish.  Bradish was especailly good giving up 0.7 HR/9.  Third in all of baseball.  Build a pen that limits homers, add one more starter that fits this profile and I would feel good about the staff.

With this goal in mind the locks to me for position players would be Henderson 3B, Holliday SS, Mayo 1B/DH, Santander RF/DH, Kjerstad RF, Rautschman C, Mullins CF

That leaves Westburg and Ortiz for 2B, Hays and Cowser for LF, O'Hearn and Mountcastle for 1B/DH.  I would prefer Westburg, Cowser and O'Hearn and would look to trade Hays, Mountcastle and Ortiz.

The lineup could look like this:

Mullins - CF

Holliday - SS

Rautschman - C

Henderson - 3B

Santander - DH

Mayo - 1B

Kjerstad - RF

Cowser - LF

Westburg - 2B

Bench - McCann, O'Hearn, Urias, 5th Outfielder

If there is one thing I know about Hyde and the Orioles. There is no chance they are running 4 rookies out there in the same lineup ever night. And a 5th guy whos played less than half a year. 

11 minutes ago, terpoh said:

If there is one thing I know about Hyde and the Orioles. There is no chance they are running 4 rookies out there in the same lineup ever night. And a 5th guy whos played less than half a year. 

Which is sad.  IF they are the best 4.5 players and give you the best chance to win,  they they should be playing, regardless of age, rookie status or veteranosity.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think we worry a little too much about getting an extra pick in the 30-50 range.   I think they should call Holliday up when they think he’s ready not when he has a better chance of winning ROY.

This.  It’s getting ridiculous.  We’re trying to maximize our chances of earning a playoff spot and a division title and succeeding in the postseason, not to maximize our chances of earning a supplemental draft pick.   If those things happen to coincide, fine, but winning is the overriding objective now.  

25 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Which is sad.  IF they are the best 4.5 players and give you the best chance to win,  they they should be playing, regardless of age, rookie status or veteranosity.

But who is he best team?   The team that won 101 games has to be represented prominently.

C/DH Adley, LF Hays, CF Mullins, RF/1B Santander, 1B/DH Mountcastle, 2B/3B/ OF Westburg, SS/3B Gunnar,  3B/2B/SS Ortiz, DH/1B O'Hearn.   

Bench:  McCann, Hicks, Mateo, either Kjerstad or Cowser.  

Bradish, GRod, Means, Kremer, TBD

Cano,  Wells, Hall,  Perez, Coulombe, Baumann, Tate, Irvin

From day one Hyde should tells his players that in order to win the World Series it will take more that 26  guys.   It will take the guys at Norfolk to come up and play when injuries and slumps happen.   Those players include Holliday, Mayo, Cowser, Kjerstad, McDermott, Povich, Johnson, Krehbiel, Bemboom, and more.  If any of these players want to be promoted over the players on the 26 man roster they have to show they deserve the spot.

It was evident  in 2023 that players got tired, played injured and  were banged up by the end of the season.   In 2024 with young players about to come up and help the team, can make the team stronger all year long included in the playoffs and World Series.

I see a few positions that need re-enforcements.   5th starter, a back up CF and pitching depth.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

But who is he best team?   The team that won 101 games has to be represented prominently....

Sure,  but at the same time if we can improve, we should.   

O'Hearn was a great story, but he seriously faded down the stretch.  Was he reverting back to the O'Hearn prior to this year?  We have some potentially really good bats who could play 1st or could play RF letting Santander play first.  Be it Mayo, Kjerstad, etc.

Mullins has regressed every year since his magical 30/30 campaign.  In his favor is we really don't have anyone to really play CF and Mullins is still playing elite CF defense, though the bat was average.

Hays started on fire,  but also faded tremendously in the 2nf half of the year.   I'm not sure his .667 OPS in the 2nd half is worth continuing to trot out there if we have someone else who can man LF but hit more consistently. 

Frazier - gone.  Whoever we put here is likely an improvement both on defense and offense.

Mateo - strictly bench role/pinch hitting, fine.  Starting a few times a week?  No.  If Hyde insists on him starting regularly then get him off of the roster IMO.

Urias - should be gone too IMO.  Bat was poor, glove was not as good.   His and Mateos at bats should go to Ortiz/Westburg/Henderson/Norby/Mayo/Holiday.

I'm not touching the pitching right now,  but simply because we had a great year that doesn't mean we should be stagnant and just bring everyone back.   We can improve and we should. 

7 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Sure,  but at the same time if we can improve, we should.   

O'Hearn was a great story, but he seriously faded down the stretch.  Was he reverting back to the O'Hearn prior to this year?  We have some potentially really good bats who could play 1st or could play RF letting Santander play first.  Be it Mayo, Kjerstad, etc.

Mullins has regressed every year since his magical 30/30 campaign.  In his favor is we really don't have anyone to really play CF and Mullins is still playing elite CF defense, though the bat was average.

Hays started on fire,  but also faded tremendously in the 2nf half of the year.   I'm not sure his .667 OPS in the 2nd half is worth continuing to trot out there if we have someone else who can man LF but hit more consistently. 

Frazier - gone.  Whoever we put here is likely an improvement both on defense and offense.

Mateo - strictly bench role/pinch hitting, fine.  Starting a few times a week?  No.  If Hyde insists on him starting regularly then get him off of the roster IMO.

Urias - should be gone too IMO.  Bat was poor, glove was not as good.   His and Mateos at bats should go to Ortiz/Westburg/Henderson/Norby/Mayo/Holiday.

I'm not touching the pitching right now,  but simply because we had a great year that doesn't mean we should be stagnant and just bring everyone back.   We can improve and we should. 

I bring back O'Hearn but if he falters Santander is moves to help Mountcastle at 1B making room for more playing time for Kjerstad and Cowser.  O'Hearn is projected to make 3M.  Its not earth shattering.

I agree a back  up for Mullins is needed.   Faster than Cowser or Hicks.  Could be Westburg or Holliday.  Or someone else.

Cowser is the replacement for Hays in left if Hays has  another bad 2nd half.  I keep Hays on the team for 2024. He has All-Star potential.

Agree Frazier is gone.

Mateo strictly bench.  His speed on the base paths is too disruptive to remove.  He is an weapon on the bases. Hyde believes Mateo can help vs lefties.

Agree Urias traded in the off season.  I also trade Norby. He is just too far down the depth chart and he is ready for a shot in the majors.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That 101 win team is arguably without the MVP of that team in 2024. That loss can’t be overstated.  

You also can’t assume that the same group will have the same success.(see 2013 and 2015)

I see no reason that Gunnar will not be back.   

Most of the FA will be gone.  Young players will be added.   Plus probably a starter.

It’s undeniable that not having Bautista is a huge blow but having the good Grayson, Means, and Hall from the start more than evens that out for me.   

I think the biggest thing mentioned is things like our BA with runners in scoring position and record in close games plus team health.  The law of averages is probably a little against us in those areas.   

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I see no reason that Gunnar will not be back.   

Most of the FA will be gone.  Young players will be added.   Plus probably a starter.

Yes, young players who need time to acclimate themselves. Some do it immediately, some don’t.

You have no contingency plans. Your plan revolves around keeping most of the team and just assuming things will be good with everyone. You can’t assume that. That’s what happened after 2012 and 2014.

You can still keep most of the team in tact while adding higher ceiling guys that give you more of a margin for error.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, young players who need time to acclimate themselves. Some do it immediately, some don’t.

You have no contingency plans. Your plan revolves around keeping most of the team and just assuming things will be good with everyone. You can’t assume that. That’s what happened after 2012 and 2014.

You can still keep most of the team in tact while adding higher ceiling guys that give you more of a margin for error.

Several of the young players are high ceiling players.