Joey Ortiz for 3B?

RZNJ

Ortiz is potential trade bait this winter but I was thinking about his chances of sticking and playing for the Orioles next year.   I can’t see the Orioles moving Henderson off of SS for even Ortiz at this point.  Ortiz looks like he could be plus at any of the three infield positions.  Westburg looked very good at 2B and okay at 3B.   Could Ortiz be an option to start at 3B with Ramon Urias on hand as a backup/safety net for both Ortiz and Westburg?

Ortiz, in 114 games in AAA, owns a .327 average and a .904 OPS.   He can probably get away with Urias type offense because of his superior defensive abilities but his offensive ceiling looks higher.  Does Ortiz have a legit shot at a starting job next spring and if so at which position is his best chance?    

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’m perfectly okay with Ortiz keeping an infield spot warm until Holliday is ready. Urias really should be moved this offseason though. 

The Orioles want a veteran who can backup the infield spots.  Urias would be a good fit.

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles want a veteran who can backup the infield spots.  Urias would be a good fit.

If he is the backup infielder, I’m okay with it. But even at 2 million, you can get better defense out of Ortiz and likely similar offense with more potential. Of course, that means someone else would have to be the utility infielder so I’d understand why they Urias. I just don’t really wanna see it. I’d like Henderson, Holliday, Westburg, and Ortiz at the infield spots. But who knows if Holliday can break camp? 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, oriole said:

If he is the backup infielder, I’m okay with it. But even at 2 million, you can get better defense out of Ortiz and likely similar offense with more potential. Of course, that means someone else would have to be the utility infielder so I’d understand why they Urias. I just don’t really wanna see it. I’d like Henderson, Holliday, Westburg, and Ortiz at the infield spots. But who knows if Holliday can break camp? 

Ummm you are not playing one of Ortiz, Westburg, Henderson, Holliday at first are you?  So only 3 infield spots. 

Our best defensive alignment may be Gunnar 3B, Ortiz SS, Holliday 2B. Best overall lineup depends on how Westburg and Ortiz hit. The other can be a good utility guy. Unfortunately they are both RH so there is no natural platoon. Based on minor league numbers I'd like to see what Ortiz can do with full time AB's. Either that or trade the kid to a team where he can get an opportunity.

I have been projecting Ortiz to begin the season as the O's  3B.   

Ortiz 3B, Gunnar SS,  Westburg 2B.    Mateo stays for  his  speed.    Urias is traded.

When Holliday is ready he plays 2B.   Whoever is playing the best from Ortiz/Westburg  plays 3B.   The other is optioned.    

I see Mayo beginning the season at AAA.  When he is ready he is promoted to be the O's 1B/DH.    Mountcastle and O'Hearn both than options.

The depth is an important part of the 2024 Orioles.

8 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Playing Mayo at first negates his arm strength. Mayo can lock down third. He’s basically Austin Riley.

In order to lock down third Mayo has be play better defense there.   His bat is close to ready.   1B/DH is probably the fastest way to get him to the majors.    I am not against Mayo playing 3B if he can improve his defense.

I see Holliday, Mayo and Kjerstad bats making the O's offense comparable to Texas by next fall.

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Ummm you are not playing one of Ortiz, Westburg, Henderson, Holliday at first are you?  So only 3 infield spots. 

Sorry, I thought it was clear I was talking about 2B/SS/3B/Utility

Mountcastle/O’Hearn platoon at 1B is solid enough for me