Outfield Surplus?

wildcard

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

The way I phrased it is just another way to emphasize that fans need to adjust their expectations about how the team will be run now that it is demonstrably competitive.  I completely agree with Elias’ goal and that “competitive windows” is a stupid management concept. 

If you don't trade good players prior to their free agency, then yes, you are managing like its a window. Mid market teams can't let good players go with only a comp pick. Santander is a perfect example. You can't pay him 14 mil and watch him walk. You have his replacements, you deal him now. At the break your getting nothing.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Not to mention that this is Santander's last season. Didn't we learn from the Schoop/Machado trade fiasco's? To stay competitive in middle/small markets you have to trade good players when they are nearing free agency. Its a fact. Holding onto Santander, with 2 guys ready to take his place, is a mistake. If it was only 1 TOP prospect waiting, I MIGHT be more hesitant, but it's 2. We have holes, he can help us fill them.

Schoop still had another year of availability when we traded him.  

12 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

If you don't trade good players prior to their free agency, then yes, you are managing like its a window. Mid market teams can't let good players go with only a comp pick. Santander is a perfect example. You can't pay him 14 mil and watch him walk. You have his replacements, you deal him now. At the break your getting nothing.

What he said 

19 hours ago, btdart20 said:

COF has a 2:1 ratio just like the IF (2B/SS/3B).  4 COFers for 2 spots vs. 6 IFers for 3 spots (non-1B).

The RIP-pending IFers (Westburg/Ortiz/Holliday) have a fairly low bar (Mateo/Urias) to huddle.  The bar is higher for the RIP-pending OFers but the market value for the top of the deck is higher here.

I don't believe we have good OF depth at all for one simple reason: defense.

Who in our depth can play defense like Hays or Mullins? Nobody that can hit a lick. Cowser has an argument, but his defense wasn't good last year in Baltimore and his hitting is a major question.

Do people here not realize that Elias is building an athletic team that plays plus defense yet? It's why Norby is down the list of infielders. It's why he kept Mateo and Urias. It's also why it's really hard to move on from Hays and Mullins.

I think we can handle one solid-average outfielder. Our depth is full of those guys, which means we don't really have depth yet. Let's hope Beavers stays hot as a prospect. If so, he might fit in the second half or maybe September.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was non-tendered so I can see why someone would forget.

He was having a blah year for us (.720 OPS) but really stunk the rest of the year with Milwaukee (.577).   He ended up being pretty solid the three following years, but definitely made less than he would have in Arb 3 with the Brewers.  

I would honestly like to go full SG mode with our outfield and make a couple of trades.

Trade away Hays and Santander this year. Play Kjerstad/Cowser in right, maybe with Mayo or whatever.

Trade for a starting left fielder who's a good defender and has more control. 

If we don't do that, I hold firm until Beavers is ready. 

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wildcard said he believes Elias trades for another team’s prospects.  

I was talking about the other side of the trade, in which the O's traded a prospect well down on ranking lists.

You sure are confused a lot, maybe try some Prevagen?

I think it is very likely that Elias trades someone that counts as a prospect this off-season.  I think most teams do.  The question I have is if they trade a highly regarded prospect or if they make a smaller deal with the O's giving up someone who isn't as highly regarded.  Like they did last year when they traded Hernaiz, who was well down on the prospect lists.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't believe we have good OF depth at all for one simple reason: defense.

Who in our depth can play defense like Hays or Mullins? Nobody that can hit a lick. Cowser has an argument, but his defense wasn't good last year in Baltimore and his hitting is a major question.

Do people here not realize that Elias is building an athletic team that plays plus defense yet? It's why Norby is down the list of infielders. It's why he kept Mateo and Urias. It's also why it's really hard to move on from Hays and Mullins.

I think we can handle one solid-average outfielder. Our depth is full of those guys, which means we don't really have depth yet. Let's hope Beavers stays hot as a prospect. If so, he might fit in the second half or maybe September.

The defensive concerns are fair.  That's part of why I focused on the COF vs. CF.  Elias definitely values that, especially up the middle.  But yes, our LF brings more ground to cover.

Does that impact if/who you trade Hays or Santander?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was talking about the other side of the trade, in which the O's traded a prospect well down on ranking lists.

You sure are confused a lot, maybe try some Prevagen?

I think it is very likely that Elias trades someone that counts as a prospect this off-season.  I think most teams do.  The question I have is if they trade a highly regarded prospect or if they make a smaller deal with the O's giving up someone who isn't as highly regarded.  Like they did last year when they traded Hernaiz, who was well down on the prospect lists.

I’m confused because Wildcard guessed that Elias would trade FOR prospects this off-season and your initial post didn’t address that at all and the you doubled down continuing to talk about prospects we might trade.

It looks like you misread his post so I was just trying to set you straight but it seems you prefer to continue down the yellow brick road.  Good luck, Scarecrow.

ago
   2 hours ago,  wildcard said: 

I am betting that Elias trades for some prospects this off season.

Sure, I think it is very likely one or more get traded.  But is it going to be another trade like the Cole Irvin trade?

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I’m confused because Wildcard guessed that Elias would trade FOR prospects this off-season and your initial post didn’t address that at all and the you doubled down continuing to talk about prospects we might trade.

It looks like you misread his post so I was just trying to set you straight but it seems you prefer to continue down the yellow brick road.  Good luck, Scarecrow.

Yep I did.

Wish you had been more clear in your reaction as we could have both saved some time.

I apologize for the mistake.

16 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The defensive concerns are fair.  That's part of why I focused on the COF vs. CF.  Elias definitely values that, especially up the middle.  But yes, our LF brings more ground to cover.

Does that impact if/who you trade Hays or Santander?

100% it indicates Santander would be the more likely player to be moved, IMO...

Unless Elias makes several moves and replaces Hays via another deal/signing.