I’ve Come Around on 13 Pitchers

Anonymous

You would have given 3 years to a pitcher who isn't that good to begin with? :eek:

He's far better than all the starting pitchers the Orioles have but 1.

In 11 seasons Looper has a Career Era of 3.83 ... Show me a guy on this team (Other than Guthrie) ...This season that will have a chance to pitch 6-7 innings nearly every start & have a era close to Looper!

I dont believe there is 1:laughlol:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh goodness here we go again. How is the FO to blame? They tried to get more pitchinhg. Looper wanted three years. Would you ahve given him that? As for Pedro. Do you really beleive that Pedro would come to Baltimore? I just believe the FO did waht they could. They wil just have to go with some of the young guys. IMO

Hey, is your keyboard stuck??:laughlol:

He's far better than all the starting pitchers the Orioles have but 1.

In 11 seasons Looper has a Career Era of 3.83 ... Show me a guy on this team (Other than Guthrie) ...This season that will have a chance to pitch 6-7 innings nearly every start & have a era close to Looper!

I dont believe there is 1:laughlol:

Are you really going to bring up his ERA when most of it was as a reliever?

It's cool that you threw some props Alfredo's way. But let's say hypothetically that he has a great ST, once he works out the visa issues. Why are you so convinced that he'd get through waivers? Why is it so obvious that he's replaceable, in the event he does get claimed? Because he was a low-budget pickup? There was a time when you thought Guthrie was in the same boat, IIRC. (Maybe you gave him credit as a reliever who could potentially have a little value. But it took a while for him to grow on you. Is it impossible that your thinking on a guy like Simon could also evolve over time?)

I'm sure you're aware that Simon has allowed 6.59 runs per nine in the minors since 2004. And that Guthrie's bad years were 130-150 innings of a 4.50-5.00, while he put up a 3.15 in AAA the year before the O's took him in. Comparing the two pitchers is... well... odd. Their main similarities seem to be that the Orioles currently employ them, and they once pitched in the minors.

I'm sure you're aware that Simon has allowed 6.59 runs per nine in the minors since 2004. And that Guthrie's bad years were 130-150 innings of a 4.50-5.00, while he put up a 3.15 in AAA the year before the O's took him in. Comparing the two pitchers is... well... odd. Their main similarities seem to be that the Orioles currently employ them, and they once pitched in the minors.
You'd be rather impressed by the long list of things I'm unaware of, Jon.

But ... I was impressed by what I saw from Simon in a couple of his fine September outings. Anecdotal? Tiny sample size? Based merely on an unqualified layman's perspective? Sure. Guilty on all counts. I just wanna see the guy get his opportunity, along with a few of the other promising arms -- and see how it all turns out. I'm guessing we'll wind up with a pile exceeding 12 in terms of guys that have value. I could wind up mistaken in this guess. It would be far from the first time. I'm excited, though, about the prospect of finding out.

I think there's something to be said for both sides of the coin, here...

However... this is NOT a clear cut issue, and NOT one that can be easily dismissed.

Well, that's your big mistake right there.

According to some, EVERYTHING around here is a clear-cut issue. Some folks insist that every issue is black-and-white, and there are no shades of gray. Decisions can be made ahead of time, there's no point in seeing how things play out. This is because they're absolutely right, as should be apparent to everybody, so those who disagree are just stupid and/or want the O's to lose.

So, I'm guessing that the logical next question is: Which kind of idiot are you? Are you stupid? Or do you want the O's to lose? Don't waffle, pick one.

;-)

Well, that's your big mistake right there.

According to some, EVERYTHING around here is a clear-cut issue. Some folks insist that every issue is black-and-white, and there are no shades of gray. Decisions can be made ahead of time, there's no point in seeing how things play out. This is because they're absolutely right, as should be apparent to everybody, so those who disagree are just stupid and/or want the O's to lose.

So, I'm guessing that the logical next question is: Which kind of idiot are you? Are you stupid? Or do you want the O's to lose? Don't waffle, pick one.

;-)

We'll know how many pitchers the team needs to carry at the end of ST. And if they choose to go with 13, people will still doubt the decision and rightfully so.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm probably the only one who doesn't care whether we carry 12 or 13 pitchers or not.

At some time or another this season we'll have 12...some time or another, we'll have 13.

I know I'm wrong for thinking this way...but I just don't care. Injuries are gonna mess with the sanctity of roster management sooner or later.

Change that to "11 or 12" or "10 or 11" and I'll agree with you.

Archived