2024 International Draft - signing period opens 1/15/24

On 12/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, Warehouse said:

It seems real.  Stiven’s Instagram bio says: “Future professional baseball player of the#orioles”.  He also posted photos of himself taking batting practice in Orioles gear four and five days ago.  

This would give us #28 and #30 in MLB Pipeline’s top 50.  He’s an athletic outfielder with big time power.

Perez is working some magic down there.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perez is working some magic down there.

He’s doing a very good job, it seems.  It’s been 5 years, so we really should be highly competitive down there by now.  Hopefully the new complex opens before next season, as Elias recently forecast, and that can only help with recruiting.   

On 12/14/2023 at 11:56 AM, Frobby said:

He’s doing a very good job, it seems.  It’s been 5 years, so we really should be highly competitive down there by now.  Hopefully the new complex opens before next season, as Elias recently forecast, and that can only help with recruiting.   

Where did you hear the nugget about the complex opening before next season?  

46 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Where did you hear the nugget about the complex opening before next season?  

I remember Elias saying that very recently, possibly at the Winter Meetings in an interview, that the facility was going to be open either by the end of the year or in the next month or so (something like that).

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, RZNJ said:

Its interesting.  The top 3 international players listed on mlb top 50 were born in October/November/September of 2006.  Stiven Martinez was born August of 2007.   Not sure how much that is taken into account in a ranking.

I'd wager it's very significant to our internal rankings. We're now a player development org. We want youth and tools to work with.

To be honest I get frustrated once a week about the lack of spending in the organization. Then I come here and look at what we are building. The Sanchez signing and then stealing Stiven from the Yankees makes it all better. We are trying to find our Soto for 500k to 3 million dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

Baseball Americas Ben Badler

Players on the board are sorted in order of their expected signing bonus. In other words, a player being No. 7 on the board means he is expected to sign for the seventh-highest bonus this year, not that he’s our No. 7 player in the class. 

While the international signing period opens on January 15, international prospects often have agreements to sign in place going back three or more years to when they were 13 or 14. Typically, once a player in the Dominican Republic or Venezuela commits to sign with a team, he stops doing showcases and is no longer scouted much in a competitive environment by other clubs. There are exceptions, but when calling international scouts about players, it’s common to get a response along the lines of, “Here’s what I saw from him, but the last time I saw him was two years ago.”

31. Emilio Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic

Born: April 13, 2007. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 170. 

Team: Orioles

Sanchez blends a good mix of hitting ability and power from the left side of the plate. He has a short swing, keeping his hands tight to his body with the adjustability to make contact at a high clip. He has a good approach for his age with quick hands, fast bat speed and flashes of over-the-fence power now with what some scouts think could be significantly more power to come. Sanchez is a shortstop for now and could start his career there, though his hitting ability stands out more than his athleticism or defensive range, with some scouts projecting him as a future second or third baseman. 

42. Stiven Martinez, OF, Dominican Republic

Born: Aug. 8, 2007. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 185.

Team: Orioles

Martinez brings big raw power from the right side of the plate. The ball flies off his bat already and he has the physical projection to develop plus raw power. It’s a power-over-hit offensive game, with some scouts concerned about swing-and-miss in his game, though others thought over the past year he had made strides with his approach and game performance. Martinez has a strong arm but is limited to an outfield corner, with some risk he ends up at first base depending how he develops physically. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/a-look-at-the-players-expected-to-head-up-the-next-o-s-international-signing-class

Melewski actually has a scoop.  First he passes off old news that our top two signings are Emilio Sánchez and Stiven Martínez.  He learned it through an “Industry Source”.   LOL

He does give us something new though.  A 3rd player and approximate signing bonuses.  Sanchez just over 1M.  Martinez just under 1M.  Elvin Garcia 500K.   

The trend has stopped.  Basallo 1.3, Tavera 1.7, Almeyda 2.3.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds a little less exciting than the past couple of classes, but you never know.  

Were you excited about 600k Liranzo at this time last year?   Maybe you’re still not. lol

The only difference this year is no big money headliner.  Instead of Almeyda for 2.3 we have Sanchez and Martinez for a total of about 2.  

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Were you excited about 600k Liranzo at this time last year?   Maybe you’re still not. lol

The only difference this year is no big money headliner.  Instead of Almeyda for 2.3 we have Sanchez and Martinez for a total of about 2.  

I’m pretty excited by Liranzo, and so far as I was concerned, he was just a name last January, like most of these guys.  That’s why I said “you never know.”   I’m well aware that there are many Latino stars who didn’t get huge signing bonuses.  So, we’ll see.