2024 International Draft - signing period opens 1/15/24

15 hours ago, now said:

I wonder why the Orioles would be linked to only one of the top 50.

Because the other teams are also trying to sign these guys.

You have 30 teams assuming no team is on on more than two that still doesn't leave enough slots for everyone to get two guys on the list.

You don't have teams just sitting out anymore, the O's were the last train at that station.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the system still operate that teams scout these kids as young as middle schoolers and get them into hand shake deals to sign that always seem to be binding once they're age eligible? I read that Basallo had an original hand shake deal to sign with the Yankees, so maybe that system has now changed completely. 

Edited by Orioles5258

6 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the system still operate that teams scout these kids as young as middle schoolers and get them into hand shake deals to sign that always seem to be binding once they're age eligible? I read that Basallo had an original hand shake deal to sign with the Yankees, so maybe that system has now changed completely. 

I think it’s still very common for players to have handshake deals long before they’re eligible to sign.  How often those deals aren’t consummated, I don’t know.  

13 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

I believe a lot comes down to money. For example if the Yankees were in on Bassallo but decide to use there entire pool on a Jason Dominguez or Ethan Salas, then there is no way for them to come up with another 1.3 million for Bassallo. Sometimes a players improvements price them out of teams bonus pool allotment.

7 hours ago, jamesenoch said:

It seems real.  Stiven’s Instagram bio says: “Future professional baseball player of the#orioles”.  He also posted photos of himself taking batting practice in Orioles gear four and five days ago.  

This would give us #28 and #30 in MLB Pipeline’s top 50.  He’s an athletic outfielder with big time power.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perez seems to like the young’uns.

Its interesting.  The top 3 international players listed on mlb top 50 were born in October/November/September of 2006.  Stiven Martinez was born August of 2007.   Not sure how much that is taken into account in a ranking.

On 12/6/2023 at 4:30 PM, Frobby said:

I think it’s still very common for players to have handshake deals long before they’re eligible to sign.  How often those deals aren’t consummated, I don’t know.  

I assume the "handshakes" also involve some cash for some impoverished families.