The Best Relief Pitcher Who Might Be Available (Title Edited)

RZNJ

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The title of this thread implies that Scott is definitely available. Do we know that to be true?

We have no official confirmation.  It was my assumption laid out by the reasons in the OP.    Do we know that Luis Robert is available?   You must assume he is because you keep bringing him up.

The Marlins barely made the playoffs, had a -57 run differential, did not give a QA to Jorge Soler who just hit 36 homers for them.  Sandy Alcantara will miss the entire 2024 season with TJ.  They just hired a new GM.    They may see how things go and look to deal Scott at the deadline or they may look to get what they can now.”

Edited by RZNJ

Mark Feinsand on MLB Network just now reported his takeaway from speaking with Elias yesterday was Closer >> Starter as they are initially appraising the pitchers.

David Robertson pulled the magic Kyle Gibson 1/10 last offseason, and had his usual year.    He feels pretty possible here....I'd guess BAL one of the strongest teams that would say, "hey, we want you to get Save #1, boss".

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Mark Feinsand on MLB Network just now reported his takeaway from speaking with Elias yesterday was Closer >> Starter as they are initially appraising the pitchers.

David Robertson pulled the magic Kyle Gibson 1/10 last offseason, and had his usual year.    He feels pretty possible here....I'd guess BAL one of the strongest teams that would say, "hey, we want you to get Save #1, boss".

If Robertson is there at the end of the off-season and can be had for like $6-8 mil, maybe. But I don't see the O's going out and being aggressive out of the gate for a guy who will be pushing 40 next season. But I don't hate the idea of adding him to the back end of the bullpen. 

Edited by interloper

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The title of this thread implies that Scott is definitely available. Do we know that to be true?

And if he is available in trade, is he really the best?  Maybe there are other trade opportunities for better pitchers that would cost us six years of control over a potential plus player like Ortiz.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

And if he is available in trade, is he really the best?  Maybe there are other trade opportunities for better pitchers that would cost us six years of control over a potential plus player like Ortiz.

Maybe.  There’s nothing stopping you from telling us who you think is a better target.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe.  There’s nothing stopping you from telling us who you think is a better target.

I see no use in me speculating who may be available when I have no way of knowing which GMs want to trade which relievers.  I just asked the question as a follow-up to SG.  As to the basic question in the OP, I remain opposed to trading someone like Ortiz for any reliever, especially one with such a limited history of success.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Yep. The title of this thread is written as if it’s stating a fact, which of course is completely wrong.

The Marlins don’t believe they can’t contend after making the playoffs. They aren’t trading the player who is likely their closer and best reliever next year.

Even if they did, it would be laughable to trade a guy like Ortiz for him. 

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. The title of this thread is written as if it’s stating a fact, which of course is completely wrong.

The Marlins don’t believe they can’t contend after making the playoffs. They aren’t trading the player who is likely their closer and best reliever next year.

Even if they did, it would be laughable to trade a guy like Ortiz for him. 

Again, any moron can read the opening post and see that I’m opining why I think he “might” be available.   You certainly qualify.

The  Marlins just hired Peter Bendix from the Rays. Bendix had this to say.

How do you plan to build the club and keep the winning momentum from 2023 going?: “I certainly have have no intentions of breaking everything down. It’s all about building long term, sustainable success. And those are buzzwords, right. What does that actually mean? It means making really disciplined, long-term focused decisions at every point. And so how do you build sustainable success in that way? You have to be always thinking long-term. And that doesn’t always mean that you’re sacrificing the short-term, right? You can do both at once. But having that long-term vision in place at the same time and always thinking about one eye on the short-term, one eye on the long term and building to a point where the Marlins can have important games in September every year.”

Disciplined decisions with one eye on the future.  Of course, you’re arguing two different things.  You are arguing that Ortiz is a huge overpay but that it will significantly hurt the Marlins chances in 2024 so they wouldn’t do it.

Edited by RZNJ

• RZNJ changed the title to The Best Relief Pitcher Who Might Be Available (Title Edited)

It's gonna be a long offseason.

Elias has created a choose your own adventure book. He can pick one of about 20 different paths to go down. 

I personally wouldn't trade Ortiz for Scott, but if I were the Marlins, it's the type of deal I'd be looking for. For comparison, does anyone think they'd take Norby for Scott? I do not, but that's more in line with what I'd offer.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Peak arbitration?  Isn’t what really matters how much Scott gets in arbitration?  He made 2.83M last year.  Not sure what he can expect in 2024.  Where’s @Frobby when you need him.

MLBTR predicts $5.8 mm, Cot’s says $6 mm.   Those are in the ballpark.  Would not shock me if he got slightly more.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

If Robertson is there at the end of the off-season and can be had for like $6-8 mil, maybe. But I don't see the O's going out and being aggressive out of the gate for a guy who will be pushing 40 next season. But I don't hate the idea of adding him to the back end of the bullpen. 

A one year overpay is better than a 3 year mistake.

Why would the team trade for a RP when there are plenty of good FAs who can probably be signed for somewhat affordable short term (1-2 year) deals? If I'm Elias. 

Daniel Hudson is also someone I'd target. He missed part of the second half due to a sprained MCL, but I think he was fully healthy by the end of the post season. He also has some closing experience, if we want to use him in that role. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get him on a one year "prove it" deal since 2023 was essentially a lost season for him. Matt Moore (LHP) has been excellent since 2022. I'd also be interested in him as a bullpen arm. 

I'd personally steer clear of Josh Hader (too expensive), but I might kick the tires on Hector Neris. He's about as solid and dependable as it gets and he also has prior closer experience. 

All of these seem like better options than trading anything of value for a one hit wonder like Tanner Scott. If we're going to trade for a closer (and I don't think we should) I think it should be for a set it and forget it guy. Someone mentioned Paul Sewald in another comment. He's about as low as I'd be willing to go via trade and I think Scott is well below the Sewald level.