2023 #10 Prospect Mac Horvath - 2B/3B

Tony-OH

39 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I'm not really concerned if he doesn't stick in the grass.  At least from a Baltimore-centric perspective...  We have plenty of 2B/3B options.  I just hope the bat continues to develop, his LD% creeps up, and he can play some LF on his way up.  

He clearly looks athletic enough to make the transition to the outfield and while I haven't seen him play there yet, I'd imagine he was ok enough for NC to put him in center.

He's got a lot of work to do on his defense on the grass and will need his arm angle changed a bit.

• Upvote 1

Interesting write-up. Personally, I fear a pull-happy approach in general, especially with pretty high (not alarming) k rates. 

But this is a scouting report more so than a report on what he did this year. I think Tony's betting on athleticism and power. I'm cool with that. Hopefully our player development staff can help him use that athleticism and power to become a dynamic major leaguer.

As an aside, I'd personally really need to be sold on those physical tools to rank him higher than Norby, who I think is probably a 2nd division starter in the majors, with some upside tied to his hit tool. It's just a preference for safer/closer to ready over farther away with upside. Heck, I'd argue if we went with a pure upside play, there's 1-2 international guys who are younger and showing real upside who have a case here, as does Povich. 

But it's nitpicking. I'd rank Horvath lower, but it's not like I have any real intel on him or the other guys. I assume Tony does.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Could he be a long term replacement for Hays in LF?  We need a pretty athletic OF in LF with all that space.  Also, he's RH and Cowser, Kjerstad, Bradfield, Stowers, and Beavers, are all LH.  

You have have to love his athleticism. I'd personally project Beavers/Cowser in LF before him, but you never know what good athletes turn into. We will certainly need some RHs though, which is good for him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched him play CF at UNC and thought he might be able to play there as a pro. He had reasonable instincts out there and the speed to make up for a small mistake with his first step. I think he throws better from the OF than he does from the infield. 

My too early to legitimately say comp is Adam Jones. Big time pull power. A bit of swing and miss. Good but not great speed. Not a natural CF but enough of an athlete to become a very good one. He might not have AJ's arm, however. 

Question for @Tony-OH: it seems like a very common criticism of young hitters that they struggle with elite velocity up in the zone. I mean, unless you are Jackson Holiday, can't we make a similar critic of most of the guys making their transition to pro ball? I think that is a very common place to go to get guys out now that the common teaching of young hitters is to get the ball in the air. It seems to me this goes all the way back to the Science of Hitting by Ted Williams.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
  • Upvote 2

One of my anchor points for how Elias assesses talent was his draft year description of Jordan Westburg as a "tooled-up college player".

I heard that as code for someone unlike Jackson Holliday, who maybe didn't have a life path towards their PhD in baseball by age 18.    I think that's somewhat who Horvath is as molding clay, though IMG Academy as high school is perhaps America's answer to the Caribbean complexes.    He isn't Lefty Grove out in the coal mines.

Horvath also feels to me a contrast to Michael Busch, a UNC Dodger pick that was more of a polished college bat ala Cowser.

Busch in College: 790 PA of 282/429/492

Horvath in College: 728 PA of 275/387/584

Horvath's 2 HR in 23 Aberdeen PA is a tease.    I didn't check Game Logs if they were away or the famous cavernous home.

From AA down we have more OF prospects than IF prospects, particularly after last years draft.  I hope they don’t spend too much time on the Horvath infield experiment.  Love the power/speed combo.  Even if he’s not a blazer it looks like he has good stolen base instincts and the desire to do it.  It bears repeating.  We’ve had one 50+ stolen base guy in the system and he, Luis Valdez, can’t hit or field.  In one draft it appears we got 3 50+ stolen base types in Bradfield, Etzel, and Horvath.   It also appears that they can hit and field.  Aberdeen is going to be a fun follow.

• Upvote 2