2023 #7 Prospect Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I have yet to see him take a decent swing.  Orioles might have taken on more than they could handle in making him into a major leaguer. 

Seems overmatched, hard to see an impact hitter in any at-bats. 

Wished they drafted Bryce Eldridge instead.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Seems overmatched, hard to see an impact hitter in any at-bats. 

Wished they drafted Bryce Eldridge instead.

That would have been tough to do.  Eldridge went #16 and the Orioles pick was #17.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

I have yet to see him take a decent swing.  Orioles might have taken on more than they could handle in making him into a major leaguer. 

The guy's had 10 ST PAs...

He had a .473 OBP / .803 OPS across three levels of MiLB last year. More impressive, in his 110 PA he reached base safely 49 times (hence the .473 OBP) and had 25 steals with 2 CS, so he wound up with a SB more than half the times he reached base, which is absurd. If you convert his SBs into doubles, reducing singles then BB for the overflow (as he had 25 SB compared to 20 singles) and deduct for CS), his OPS becomes an implied 1.106 for 2023 MiLB season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

The guy's had 10 ST PAs...

He had a .473 OBP / .803 OPS across three levels of MiLB last year. More impressive, in his 110 PA he reached base safely 49 times (hence the .473 OBP) and had 25 steals with 2 CS, so he wound up with a SB more than half the times he reached base, which is absurd. If you convert his SBs into doubles, reducing singles then BB for the overflow (as he had 25 SB compared to 20 singles) and deduct for CS), his OPS becomes an implied 1.106 for 2023 MiLB season.

I want to be wrong, but he hit.291 with 3 total extra base hits.  As he progresses, the walks are likely to dip because pitchers get better control.  They also aren’t going to be afraid to pitch him because he can’t hurt them since he has basically no power. He at least wasn’t striking out much.  However in a very SSS in the spring he has struck out 40% of the time.   The swings I have seen just haven’t looked good.  I was hoping to see someone who was making more regular contact.  In the spring at least, there seems to be a lot of swing and miss when I have seen him. 

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I want to be wrong, but he hit.291 with 3 total extra base hits.  As he progresses, the walks are likely to dip because pitchers get better control.  They also aren’t going to be afraid to pitch him because he can’t hurt them since he has basically no power. He at least wasn’t striking out much.  However in a very SSS in the spring he has struck out 40% of the time.   The swings I have seen just haven’t looked good.  I was hoping to see someone who was making more regular contact.  In the spring at least, there seems to be a lot of swing and miss when I have seen him. 

Remember, he's likely to start in A+.  It's likely that every pitcher he's faced so far has got AA experience or higher.  I do admit he hasn't Impressed.   I had to watch a lot on GameDay and it looked at least like he pulled a 94.9 mph fastball to RF in his last AB.  He was absolutely overmatched against Skene's 100+ velocity.  I was hoping he would look stronger and better after a full off season but let's see how he does at Aberdeen.

Lot of totally unnecessary and unwarranted hate for Bradfield in here. Maybe let's give the guy more than 1 season in our system and not judge him on a couple of ABs in March in a game in which the Orioles only tallied 1 hit? 

"Yet to see him take a good swing", sure, and how many ABs have you watched exactly? Give me a break. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Lot of totally unnecessary and unwarranted hate for Bradfield in here. Maybe let's give the guy more than 1 season in our system and not judge him on a couple of ABs in March in a game in which the Orioles only tallied 1 hit? 

"Yet to see him take a good swing", sure, and how many ABs have you watched exactly? Give me a break. 

Agreed.   If by mid-season he's still struggling in Aberdeen, then I'll be concerned.

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

I take your point on the XBH part, but what's concerning about .291?

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

Everyone knows that one's long-term MLB performance stabilizes in samples of two or three spring training PAs. Sometimes you don't even need that if he doesn't have a good baseball face or name, or if the ball's not coming out of his hand well. Enrique Bradfield Jr. is barely more confidence-inspiring than Hayden Penn. Oh well, maybe he'll be a sweetener in a deadline deal one day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am not thrilled with his swing, no. It is not a “pure” swing at all. And it is inconsistent at this point. But there is so much to like otherwise. He may never be much of a hitter, but it was worth a shot at #17. Give him two years in the system, and let’s see where he is then. Honestly, it may be an uphill battle, but it can be done.

Swing changes rarely take hold quickly. It has to be without thought, just reaction for the hitter. The mental side has to change as well with any swing changes.

What little I have seen of him this Spring, I see more Willie McGee than I see Kenny Lofton. 

• Upvote 1