Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Alex Pham. AA pitcher who was probably runner up for our MiL pitcher of the year, but is not a high end prospect despite good numbers in both A+ and AA this year.  

#41 prospect I saw.  That was from the mid year prospect ranking and I assume he would be rated a bit higher now.

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

#41 prospect I saw.  That was from the mid year prospect ranking and I assume he would be rated a bit higher now.

Tony had him no. 41 on his final list.  He had a 2.45 ERA and 13.3 K/9 at Aberdeen, then 2.67 and 8.0 at Bowie.  Tony’s comments:

“A short, four-pitch pitchability righty who canthrow all four of his offerings over for strikes. Mixes his pitches up and is able to keep hitters of balance by changing speeds and hitting his spots.  His fastball sits 90-92 with some arm side run, but doesn't miss many bats so he has to be very fine with the command. The change is his best offspeed offering and he'll throw them against righties as well as left-handed hitters. He can get some swing and miss on the pitch because he throws them for strikes and then moves them just off the plate with two strikes. His 12-6 curveball can be soft at times and his slider is more of a cutter with limited vertical movement. With no plus pitch, it's hard to see him as anything more than a 5th starter/long guy type. He does have a little Zach Davies in him so don't count him out, but he'll need to prove it AAA next year to get a chance.”

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

From an MLBTR chat today;

Up in the air

Who says no? Westburg, Stowers, Pham, and Wagner for Cease or

Mark P

That's a pretty good offer, even if the White Sox are reportedly/seemingly looking to add pitching.  They'd probably want a higher-tier pitching prospect than Pham.

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-17333.html

I'd pull the trigger.

We’ve been negotiating with them about Cease since last year’s deadline. If a team was going to give them what they wanted for Cease then Cease would’ve been traded. Instead we’ve seen the Dodgers, Braves, and Reds, all go in different directions. So they weren’t willing to pay the price either. 

Seems like Elias is like I might as well offer the Marlins something similar to the Cease deal and see what that buys. 

Sounds like the CWS are content to hold onto him and hope that there is a better market come trade deadline time. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve been negotiating with them about Cease since last year’s deadline. If a team was going to give them what they wanted for Cease then Cease would’ve been traded. Instead we’ve seen the Dodgers, Braves, and Reds, all go in different directions. So they weren’t willing to pay the price either. 

Seems like Elias is like I might as well offer the Marlins something similar to the Cease deal and see what that buys. 

Sounds like the CWS are content to hold onto him and hope that there is a better market come trade deadline time. 

Cease isn't going to be more valuable with a year and two months on his contract vs. the full two years he has now. 

CWS are stupid if they don't trade him before OD this year.

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Cease isn't going to be more valuable with a year and two months on his contract vs. the full two years he has now. 

It’s counterintuitive, but pitchers are often more valuable at the deadline than they were over the preceding winter.  Can’t say that will be true here, it depends what kind of season Cease is having at the deadline.   

35 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If he puts up 1st half numbers like his 2023 numbers, his value will be significantly less. One, because he has less time until FA. Two, because his 2023 level will look more like the norm than his 2022.

If his first half looks like 2022 Cease, his value would probably be higher than right now.

It's a risk for CWS. Seemingly one they are willing to take.

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lots of options still available for White Sox and Orioles. Until Montgomery/Snell sign, White Sox won't feel they have their best leverage. They view BAL, NYY, BOS, SF, LAA, TEX, plus others as potential suitors for a top SP, and once Montgomery/Snell sign, whoever misses out may up their offer above Baltimore's. No reason to rush until that happens, or assume they'll carry him through the season until Spring Training starts IMO. A lot of potential risk with carrying him into the season; if he gets hurt, they'll miss out on a massive rebuild opportunity.

When all is said and done, I think he's traded in the next few weeks, with Baltimore being the most likely destination.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

If he puts up 1st half numbers like his 2023 numbers, his value will be significantly less. One, because he has less time until FA. Two, because his 2023 level will look more like the norm than his 2022.

If his first half looks like 2022 Cease, his value would probably be higher than right now.

It's a risk for CWS. Seemingly one they are willing to take.

Yep…he definitely could have more value at the deadline.

The rule of thumb is that pitching goes for more at the deadline and hitting goes for more in the offseason.

But it’s a huge risk. If he is subpar or has an injury, his value drops a lot.

I would be surprised if the WS don’t move him unless the offers are really that bad. At some point, you keep your asset and hope the value increases but there is also a point where the market is telling you what the asset is worth. You may want it to be more and the fan base certainly believes it but if no one is offering it, that’s the value.

I may want a million dollars for my house but if every offer is around 800k, that’s what the house is worth.