Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

There are a handful of TOR types (at least guys that fit our need) out there said to be available... Loosely, we're looking at Snell, Cease, Burnes, Luzardo, Imanaga, and Montgomery. (Anyone else?)

Does anyone have a feel for how many rotation spots across baseball that teams are trying to fill with guys like that? I wonder if there is a possible musical chairs situation in the near future.

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

This Yankees Cease rumor feels like a PR piece to drive up the Orioles offer.  I think the WS are sitting on a decent offer from Elias but they are trying to squeeze him for more and the reality is he can't get anyone to make a better offer.

I think the Orioles match up better with a team like the Marlins for Luzardo, at this point I kind of hope the WS get left holding the bag and go into the season with Cease still on their roster. 

Exactly , its nothing more than a PR Piece, THe WS better remember who Mike Elias is and hes definitely talking  to Miami ( not only Luzardo but 2 or 3 other pitchers), If the CWS play this wrong  and Cease Doesnt perform before the trade deadline, Well Scraps on the package.

I could definitely see Cease to Yankees, Snell to a west coast team. 

I'm honestly so tired of talking about this guy, I would almost be relieved if the Yankees just ended our misery so we can get on with the next misery period where we all complain about Elias being a hoarder. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Orange said:

There are a handful of TOR types (at least guys that fit our need) out there said to be available... Loosely, we're looking at Snell, Cease, Burnes, Luzardo, Imanaga, and Montgomery. (Anyone else?)

Does anyone have a feel for how many rotation spots across baseball that teams are trying to fill with guys like that? I wonder if there is a possible musical chairs situation in the near future.

We’re not getting any of those guys but here is who we do have,

Wells - led the AL in WHIP at the 2023 ASB

Irvin - led the AL in ERA at the 2022 ASB

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s our OF in 2025 if we have to trade Cowser and Kjerstad for Cease?  

EBJ, Beavers, Wagner/Horvath/Fabian/Hilliard

We don’t have some endless stockpile of starting level depth like people assume. We don’t participate in FA. Can’t just make a huge trade for Cease then cry when we don’t sign FA. 

Has any one advocated traded Kjerstad AND Cowser for anyone?

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We don’t have some endless stockpile of starting level depth like people assume. We don’t participate in FA. Can’t just make a huge trade for Cease then cry when we don’t sign FA. 

No way Cowser and Kjerstad go in a deal together but there is a chance, especially if Mayo moves to RF that we could withstand it.   

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The other factor is the championship window... I mean, you want that window to stay open for as long as possible but I think there is value in having a larger number of top prospects hit the scene around the same time and open the window wider. So, in other words... I think there is more value in keeping our top guys together who are ready now-ish. The Baby Birds in the 60's, the Big Red Machine, the A's in the late 80's, the Yankees in the 90's... When you have a bunch of top guys hit all at once magic things happen.

Just now, Orange said:

The other factor is the championship window... I mean, you want that window to stay open for as long as possible but I think there is value in having a larger number of top prospects hit the scene around the same time and open the window wider. So, in other words... I think there is more value in keeping our top guys together who are ready now-ish. The Baby Birds in the 60's, the Big Red Machine, the A's in the late 80's, the Yankees in the 90's... When you have a bunch of top guys hit all at once magic things happen.

We need to stop assuming this window is now open for the next 5-10 years. Lots of things can change quickly. Ask the White Sox.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We need to stop assuming this window is now open for the next 5-10 years. Lots of things can change quickly. Ask the White Sox.

The White Sox didn’t have a pipeline?    The challenge will be the lower draft position but with the Latin American program in full swing now, I’m optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Has any one advocated traded Kjerstad AND Cowser for anyone?

Who here is willing to make these trades for Cease,

A) Cowser, Kjerstad, and Povich 

B) Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad, and Povich

C) Mayo, Povich, and Ortiz

D) Basallo, Povich, and Ortiz

If I have to do one then I’m doing B. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the article is gives me more positive vibes if it’s correct that pitching doesn’t have to be included. There is zero about that article that makes me nervous.  It’s not like we thought the Os were the only team going after him.

It does suck that the Dodgers could still be involved.

Just assume that every team with a need for starting pitching and payroll space is involved.  You'll be much closer to right than wrong.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A) No 

B) No

C) No

D) No

There are trades I would make, but all of these contain 2 from our top 10 which is a big no-no for me. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We don’t have to trade any of this to get a deal done.