Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe but we don’t truly know what they are willing to accept. There is what they are publicly saying they want and what they will truly take. 

At some point, holding out for a better second prospect when you get 2-3 solid guys instead is just foolish and a risk not worth taking. 

But I do think Kjerstad or Cowser has to be in the deal.

Call me foolish then cuz if I’m Chris Getz I’m not budging. It’s Kjerstad, Westburg, and one more piece or I’m just holding onto Cease. Ball is and has always been in the White Sox court until Cease either gets hurt or regresses which I’m betting against both. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

Call me foolish then cuz if I’m Chris Getz I’m not budging. It’s Kjerstad, Westburg, and one more piece or I’m just holding onto Cease. Ball is and has always been in the White Sox court until Cease either gets hurt or regresses which I’m betting against both. 

Ok…you’re foolish.  😁

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m hoping that before Elias had only offered the Burnes package for Cease, and now he’s willing to offer Cowser or Kjerstad. A package of Cowser/Kjerstad, Norby, and Povich, hopefully will be able to get this done. Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Westburg, and EBJ, are too important to trade.

Also, just because the news became public doesn’t mean that Elias is any more desperate than he’s been all offseason. Burnes essentially replaces Bradish and gets us back to where the offseason started. We’re just minus Hall for depth. 

Elias said he offered the Burnes package for Cease plus an unknown prospect, who I would have to think  was a lesser prospect than Ortiz or Hall.  This gives us the idea that Elias thought 2 years of Cease > 1 year of Burnes, but not by much. 

16 hours ago, SoxFan3344 said:

Betting against a pitcher getting hurt has to be one of the worst sports bets. 

22 hours ago, SoxFan3344 said:

I think the WS would rather go into the season with Dylan Cease than not get what they want for him. 

The WS have been unreasonable in their demands for Cease all off season.   He is not a Ryan or Maddux.  If Getz wants to move Cease he needs to be more flexible in his expectations.  My guess is Cease stays in Chicago.

39 minutes ago, coe76 said:

The WS have been unreasonable in their demands for Cease all off season.   He is not a Ryan or Maddux.  If Getz wants to move Cease he needs to be more flexible in his expectations.  My guess is Cease stays in Chicago.

I don’t see it being unreasonable, it’s just more than teams want to pay, at least for now.   

17 minutes ago, dystopia said:

When it's every team it's fair to call it unreasonable. 

I think it’s purposefully unreasonable. Pitching is always a premium and supply will get shorter as the season moves along and they feel like they will eventually get their price. It could backfire, or they slightly loosen up their demands and finally move Cease.

25 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

I think it’s purposefully unreasonable. Pitching is always a premium and supply will get shorter as the season moves along and they feel like they will eventually get their price. It could backfire, or they slightly loosen up their demands and finally move Cease.

They can hold onto him into the season but I don't see his stock rising dramatically unless his performance rises dramatically.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

They can hold onto him into the season but I don't see his stock rising dramatically unless his performance rises dramatically.  

I agree, I don’t see it going up — but I can see them holding on to their current demands for as long as possible. If he starts strong that helps, if he starts slow, then being unreasonable now will bite them. And I suppose if he gets hurt, then the high price they have been asking definitely backfires.

9 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

I agree, I don’t see it going up — but I can see them holding on to their current demands for as long as possible. If he starts strong that helps, if he starts slow, then being unreasonable now will bite them. And I suppose if he gets hurt, then the high price they have been asking definitely backfires.

Yep, there’s certainly a large amount of risk in holding onto him. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:11 PM, SoxFan3344 said:

That’s why this thread and the one on PaleHose talk should be closed. We are talking about a deal that has a 1 or 2 percent chance of actually happening. Getz will need a desperate GM to get a deal done like that. Elias just doesn’t operate like that.

3 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Lol in the White Sox board Cease thread they are fighting about Trevor Bauer now. The parallels are getting scary.

Meanwhile Elias and Getz looking at each other like:

IMG_1893.thumb.jpeg.93621a5de026704d690a08c13bba1466.jpeg

What in the world would the WS want with Bauer.

• 2 weeks later...