Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

MLBPipline has him at 87, No. 66 prospect at FanGraphs, No. 88 at Baseball America.

Still 2 top 100 prospects….Lin didn’t rate anywhere in a search. 4.28 1.2 WHIP K per IP at AA. pretty good prospect but no where near what the guy for the Sox posting here is expecting. I thin’ Sox fans are going to be disappointed 

We’re going to be upset because of a made up trade on Twitter?

This blurb is from BA’s latest top 10 list for the Orioles.  I still like him as a prospect, but that utility player comment scares me just a little.

The Future: While he didn’t get much of an opportunity on the Orioles in 2023, Ortiz still has an everyday major league ceiling, though on a championship-caliber team he may be more of a utility player. He’ll be competing for a regular role in Baltimore in spring training.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This guy has gotten a few things right in the past, although I’d caveat to take with a major grain of salt.

I am skeptical of even the ML “insiders”.   Interesting.  This guy tweeted this back in August.

Steve

One reason #WhiteSox did not trade Dylan Cease at the deadline was the lack of a blue chip headliner in offers. The Jordan Lawlar, Colton Cowser type simply wasn’t on the table.

@Steve02270

·

Aug 26

One reason #WhiteSox did not trade Dylan Cease at the deadline was the lack of a blue chip headliner in offers. The Jordan Lawlar, Colton Cowser type simply wasn’t on the table.

I don’t place much faith in that BUT if a Cowser type wasn’t on the table at the deadline why would he be now?  I would expect more urgency and leverage at the deadline.  Anyway, huge grain of salt that anyone says at this time.  Chances are that Cease is traded somewhere this off season.  Then we can all discuss the package they got back.   Frankly, I’ll hope for the best if we get him but I really don’t care if we miss out.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This blurb is from BA’s latest top 10 list for the Orioles.  I still like him as a prospect, but that utility player comment scares me just a little.

You don’t have a championship caliber team so no worries.  😄

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

2 top 100 prospects and a solid mid rotation MLB starter with 4 years of control for 2 seasons of Cease. You can almost count on one of them being a low 4ERA and possibly both. I’m glad you’re not the GM. Elias laughs at Getz and hangs up the phone IMO

The trade suggestion I was responding to only had one pitcher involved coming back from the O’s and I suggested it was generous even so. Meaning too generous, which I think was understood by everybody but you.  Maybe cut back on the caffeine a little?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

The trade suggestion I was responding to only had one pitcher involved coming back from the O’s and I suggested it was generous even so. Meaning too generous, which I think was understood by everybody but you.  Maybe cut back on the caffeine a little?

The post was suggesting, Cowser, Ortiz, and Kremer. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Are you guys going to be a championship caliber team in this decade?  😁😂

I don’t care much about the blurb that he quoted. We have no idea what Ortiz will become since he hasn’t been given an opportunity.

it’s interesting he didn’t post any of this …

There is no question Ortiz will be able to handle shortstop in the big leagues. He has great hands, outstanding actions and plus-plus instincts that combine with an excellent internal clock to make him close to an elite-level defender. He has a strong and accurate arm just to add to the package and has not slowed down even though he added a lot of strength to his frame during the shutdown. He has even shown he is adept at playing multiple infield positions as needed.

That might not be necessary with Ortiz’s improvements at the plate. That added strength has begun to pay dividends, and his knack for contact (a career strikeout rate under 17 percent entering 2023) has turned into a consistent ability to drive the ball to all fields, with enough pop to make it seem like average in-game power is very reasonable. That’s changed his profile from future glove-first utility type to someone who should be able to play shortstop every day in the big leagues soon.

@Chicago White Sox “Everyday Big League Shortstop “

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Speaking of things that make us a little nervous.

1.418 WHIP

Declining K rate 3 straight years.

Increasing walk rate 3 straight years.

1 mph lost on fastball in 2023.

Doesn't sound like a guy we'd trade two of our best prospects for when you put it that way.