2023 Orioles #3 Prospect is Coby Mayo - 3B/1B

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This may actually be the most "Just Regular" Just Regular post ever. @Frobby would be duly impressed! 

I think this is basically saying you are ok with Mayo being a starter this year and let it run it's due course. I agree.

Another reason to let him start the year as the opening day 3B is that he has needed some time to adjust to each level and the major leagues will probably be the same. As probably the only rookie hitter on the opening day roster, he should be given a little leeway to adjust. 

I'm okay with Mayo and Holliday but for that pesky need to maximize asset values.    

The MLBPA wants the bonus pick to incentivize competition and it is kind of working.

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

3B: Mayo
SS: Henderson
2B: Holliday
1B: Basallo

This is what I alluded in the other thread with the mention of Mayo sticking at third. For a 3 - 5 year stretch the O's could have 2009 Yankee infield (lite) production should things shake out this way. 

10 minutes ago, now said:

Easy to love your dream infield. So where does that leave your dream outfield 2025-26? Cowser-Bradfield-Kjerstad?

I get this feeling that Kjerstad is going to be traded. I might be wrong, but it would not surprise me. 

I think by 25-26 Mayo may be in RF but let's just keep him at 3B for now and go with inhouse candidates. 

LF: Cowser but don't sleep in Beavers slipping in here or even Horvath. Norby is a dark horse if not traded.
CF: Bradfield is the obvious choice here but his stick needs to show it will handle upper level pitching.
RF: Kjerstad for now, Mayo is a possibility. Like with LF, Horvath and Beavers could be options.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I get this feeling that Kjerstad is going to be traded. I might be wrong, but it would not surprise me. 

I think by 25-26 Mayo may be in RF but let's just keep him at 3B for now and go with inhouse candidates. 

LF: Cowser but don't sleep in Beavers slipping in here or even Horvath. Norby is a dark horse if not traded.
CF: Bradfield is the obvious choice here but his stick needs to show it will handle upper level pitching.
RF: Kjerstad for now, Mayo is a possibility. Like with LF, Horvath and Beavers could be options.

By the way for those of you playing at home. These ARE the good old days. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

IIRC back in the dark days of Jay Gibbons' prospecthood, I wanted his bat in left where there was an opening, and you nixed the idea because as a lefty the glove and throwing arm are poorly suited to left field. So I checked and sure enough, Cowser throws righthanded. We get our cake and eat it too. 

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How often do I hear folks lauding Delmon Young around here?

I enjoyed the 2012 and 2014 playoffs more than the 2023 playoffs.

You like winning better than losing?  Crazy talk.  Definitely needs to be stated aloud. 

I’ve said before in other threads, Mayo is our Austin Riley. Eerily similar offensive and defensive profiles, not to mention physical size attributes. 

Riley worked hard on his 3B defense and is now very serviceable there.  If you recall, the Braves tried him in the outfield when they signed Donaldson. Riley improved his defense, the ATL moved on from Donaldson and the rest is history. 

Mayo has heard the whispers, has put his head down and gotten to work. 

Edited by scarey1999

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

I’ve said before in other threads, Mayo is our Austin Riley. Eerily similar offensive and defensive profiles, not to mention physical size attributes. 

Riley worked hard on his 3B defense and is now very serviceable there.  If you recall, the Braves tried him in the outfield when they signed Donaldson. Riley improved his defense, the ATL moved on from Donaldson and the rest is history. 

Mayo has heard the whispers, has put his head down and gotten to work. 

Honestly ...we can do better than serviceable with all of the talent we have

I like Gunner 3B, Ortiz SS, Holiday 2B, Mayo 1B, Basallo C/DH

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly ...we can do better than serviceable with all of the talent we have

I like Gunner 3B, Ortiz SS, Holiday 2B, Mayo 1B, Basallo C/DH

Sure. I didn’t say Mayo was or is serviceable, I was only referring to Riley. Riley was exactly avg according range OOA but his arm was in the bottom 3rd for MLB 3B in ‘23.  So Mayo arguably has a leg up over Riley there but because his arm strength is so much better. 

Who’s to say he shows up at camp vastly improved over last year with his range and actions?  The improvements he made last year were pretty remarkable, given that national writers have documented it.  So, I guess the point is, he’s trending in the right direction and may end up being way more than serviceable at 3rd in time, especially with that cannon of an arm. We just don’t know yet. That’s why it’s called player development. Things change constantly, for better or worse. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Sure. I didn’t say Mayo was or is serviceable, I was only referring to Riley. Riley was exactly avg according range OOA but his arm was in the bottom 3rd for MLB 3B in ‘23.  So Mayo arguably has a leg up over Riley there but because his arm strength is so much better. 

Who’s to say he shows up at camp vastly improved over last year with his range and actions?  The improvements he made last year were pretty remarkable, given that national writers have documented it.  So, I guess the point is, he’s trending in the right direction and may end up being way more than serviceable at 3rd in time, especially with that cannon of an arm. We just don’t know yet. That’s why it’s called player development. Things change constantly, for better or worse. 

For example, Westburg got a whole lot better defensively last year. His scouting reports previously universally labeled him as a bat-first fringy 2B defender and he came up to the bigs as a well above average 2B defensively. Not every player is able to do that of course, but Mayo certainly seems to have the makeup and tools to do so (and by Tony’s reports is already well on his way), still has age well well on his side, and the Orioles already showed they were able to do it with Westburg. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

For example, Westburg got a whole lot better defensively last year. His scouting reports previously universally labeled him as a bat-first fringy 2B defender and he came up to the bigs as a well above average 2B defensively. Not every player is able to do that of course, but Mayo certainly seems to have the makeup and tools to do so (and by Tony’s reports is already well on his way), still has age well well on his side, and the Orioles already showed they were able to do it with Westburg. 

I’ll have to go back but I don’t think those scouting reports were universal.  I think Fangraphs was not high on his defense but I think others were.

BA 2022 report:

He’s a plus runner with the instincts and athleticism to play shortstop in the big leagues and the arm for third base, making him an asset anywhere on the infield.

mlb .  Defense and arm both 55

Defense isn’t Westburg’s calling card given his size and average speed, but he’s a reliable defender at short and athletic enough to move around if need be. His arm strength is plus; that and his power potential could forecast a move to third base somewhere down the line. Baltimore’s lack of high-level infield prospects made Westburg a candidate to move quickly and so far he’s lived up to that billing, reaching Double-A in 2021 and looking like a potential impact player at the big league level.

Keith Law.

Westburg had about as quiet a season as you can have with 69 extra-base hits, moving through shortstop, second, and third base, drawing 70 walks, and hitting .265/.355/.496 between Double A and Triple A. He doesn’t have a clear plus tool, but makes plenty of hard contact and plays above-average defense at second or third, giving him a bunch of 55s on his scouting report that adds up to a solid to above-average regular.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1