Mariners Trade (proposed)

MarCakes21

6 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I wasn’t suggesting that the Mariners  sign (or trade for) three players. I was just providing FA player comps for our vets who I think can probably be had for affordable one year contracts  (with the exception of maybe Gurriel).

Also, the Mariners have been publicly linked to Ohtani at times so they can’t be too averse to adding payroll. If I was the Mariners GM and had some financial flexibility I’d push hard for Soto and India trades. I think those two players are much better fits than anyone we can offer and instantly solve their offensive problems. And they probably only have to give up one of Woo or Miller to make it happen.

If they are in on Othani …their current payroll with arb is around $140 million. They add what $50 million per. How much higher do they really want to go?

I floated Santander + Mountcastle + two top 10 prospects (in the Ortiz/Norby/Beavers/McDermott/Povich range) in another thread. I think this lines up with what Elias might be willing to part with, as well as the Mariners immediate needs (corner OF and 1B offense).

Which Mariners pitcher would fans want to see come back for that type of trade package and would it be realistic from the Mariners perspective? 

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I floated Santander + Mountcastle + two top 10 prospects (in the Ortiz/Norby/Beavers/McDermott/Povich range) in another thread. I think this lines up with what Elias might be willing to part with, as well as the Mariners immediate needs (corner OF and 1B offense).

Which Mariners pitcher would fans want to see come back for that type of trade package and would it be realistic from the Mariners perspective? 

Not that its a perfect site, but BB trade value has them at the following excess value:

- Mountcastle (13.6)

- Santander (5.3)

- Ortiz (13.8)/Norby (8)/Beavers (4.2)/McDermott (2.1)/Povich (5.1)

Miller and Woo are 25.8 and 24.6 respectively.  Hancock is at a 4.

If you treat these as true value, I think you'd be looking in the Miller/Woo range as possible.  I don't think I'd want to to give up Beavers/McDermott/Povich in the deal, so would look more at a package of Mountcastle OR Santander + Ortiz/Norby

2 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I just don't see why the Mariners would have interest in Mountcastle or Santander, given the other options on their team or in the FA marketing. Mountcastle isn't an upgrade over Ty France and the Mariner's could just sign a similar player to Santander, like Hunter Renfroe, without having to give anything up. Renfroe would probably be cheaper too. 

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If they are in on Othani …their current payroll with arb is around $140 million. They add what $50 million per. How much higher do they really want to go?

Apparently they aren't anymore, but I just just mentioned it to make the point that it didn't seem like the Mariners were averse to adding at least "some" payroll. 

14 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I just don't see why the Mariners would have interest in Mountcastle or Santander, given the other options on their team or in the FA marketing. Mountcastle isn't an upgrade over Ty France and the Mariner's could just sign a similar player to Santander, like Hunter Renfroe, without having to give anything up. Renfroe would probably be cheaper too. 

I can see it.  That doesn't mean anything though. 

If you want Frazier playing 1B, then France is your guy.  Frazier's and France's Savant pages were pretty similar last year too.  If you want some HH% and OPS, then Mountcastle is your guy.  Mounty had 470 PAs and 18 HR into Walltimore while France had 40ish% more PAs (665) and hit 12 HRs in SEA.  If Mounty had his 470 PAs in SEA, he would have hit 20.  Mr. Prorater pushes him close to 30 in France's shoes.

Same deal with Renfroe/Santander.  Savant has the xHR for Santander in Seattle at 38.  Renfroe's xHR in Seattle is 21 (in 100 less PAs - so Mr. Prorater pushes it 26-ish).  So it depends on what they do with the cost difference.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Renfroe -.6 WAR vs Santander 3.0 WAR. Are they really similar?

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Renfroe -.6 WAR vs Santander 3.0 WAR. Are they really similar?

He's one season removed from 2.7 WAR and before this season he had historically been better than Santander. So yeah, I think they pretty much are the Spider-man meme. And Renfroe would be cheaper and wouldn't cost a prospect.