Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a much different situation IMO.  It’s not like we’ve got 2 top 100 pitching prospects sitting around in AAA for over a year waiting for their chance, or the no. 1 pitching prospect rocketing through the ranks.  I wouldn’t say back end depth is our top priority, but if Elias saw an early opportunity to address that, I’m absolutely fine with him doing that.  

They have Irvin, Wells. hall, McDermott Povich, Zimmerman and any MiL FA they bring in to help fill out the rotation in AAA.

They absolutely do not need to waste a roster spot on a swing man. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s what I said last November: “to me, it was a comment about the existing team’s readiness to compete going forward, and had nothing to do with the team spending money.”   So that’s not revisionist history so far as I’m concerned.  

Here’s the immediate surrounding context of Elias’ “liftoff” remark, made shortly after the Mancini and Lopez trades:

“And while I’m super excited about [the rest of] 2022 and what’s ahead of us and our chances, we’re going to continue with the plan of building for this bright, long future in the American League East.

“I think we’re right there. I think it’s liftoff from here for this team. And I think the decisions that we made the last couple of days were difficult in that regard. But we saw opportunities to bring starting pitching into the organization. We’ve got a program running where we bring players in, we see something we like, we give them information, we coach them up and that’s the way successful teams run themselves. Especially with our market size. It’s going to be the way we have to do it, but I see a homegrown team that we want to build around and supplement, and I think that’s going to start this year.”

You can read the rest of the context here.

To me anyone who read “liftoff” as referring to payroll was just grasping at straws.   

Frankly, there are other remarks made at other times that were more germane to the payroll issue.  But I’d leave “liftoff” alone.  We’ve gotten the exact liftoff Elias referred to.  

Don’t let facts ruin someone else’s alternate reality.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They have Irvin, Wells. hall, McDermott Povich, Zimmerman and any MiL FA they bring in to help fill out the rotation in AAA.

They absolutely do not need to waste a roster spot on a swing man. 

I’ll rely on the guy who’s built this team to make that judgment.  He knows what he’s doing when it comes to building depth.  Anyway, we don’t really know if the O’s are chasing this guy or what they plan to do with him if they land him.  All we have is a few rumors, so we’ll see if there’s any reality behind them.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’ll rely on the guy who’s built this team to make that judgment.  He knows what he’s doing when it comes to building depth.  Anyway, we don’t really know if the O’s are chasing this guy or what they plan to do with him if they land him.  All we have is a few rumors, so we’ll see if there’s any reality behind them.  

Yes I’m aware whatever they do you will be fine with.

He has already built the depth.  Now, by his words, he needs to add a TOR type guy. That is the depth he needs. You know, actual good depth, not just a warm body.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has already built the depth.  Now, by his words, he needs to add a TOR type guy. That is the depth he needs. You know, actual good depth, not just a warm body.

The “sheep” angle.  Predictable.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t put it that way, but I do start from the assumption that Elias knows more about evaluating players and putting a team together than I do.  So, even when I disagree with or question a move, I allow for the possibility that Elias is right and I’m wrong, and don’t get too worked up about it.  That’s especially true now that Elias has actually built a winning team, rather just seeming to be on a methodical path towards doing so.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Uwasawa is a lefty.

No, maybe you are thinking of Shira Imanaga?

Also, I'm surprised we aren't talking about Yuki Matsui. Matsui is the best relief pitchet coming over from Japan. Matsui is a completely full international free agent. He has no qualified tender to worry about. Which means he doesn't cost a draft pick or a posting fee. And as said, he was one of the top relievers in Japan.

What if Uwasawa is replacement depth for a Kremer trade?

Brewers are apparently locking up Chourio to a megadeal and need to make room in OF and offload Yelich $. 

Hypothetical:

What would the Orioles have to trade to the Brewers if we took on Yelich and also got back Peralta and Devin?

They'd likely want Kremer coming back for rotation depth and IP.  In this scenario they hold Burnes for another year then either trade at deadline or QO him. This frees up money to sign Adames long term as well.

Orioles could get TOR, CL, and MOO in one deal and Yelich comes off books when the studs are due to get paid. 

I think this kind of makes sense for both sides, but losing Peralta's value hurts them with Burnes up in the air.

Orioles would then need to offload Tony and Hays to give you an OF of Yelich/Mullins + Kjerstad/CC

Crazy?

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t put it that way, but I do start from the assumption that Elias knows more about evaluating players and putting a team together than I do.  So, even when I disagree with or question a move, I allow for the possibility that Elias is right and I’m wrong, and don’t get too worked up about it.  That’s especially true now that Elias has actually built a winning team, rather just seeming to be on a methodical path towards doing so.  

This move goes completely against what Elias himself has said he is targeting and wants to do.  So, I’m taking him at his word that he recognizes what the team needs and this move is the complete opposite of what he has said.

Now, as I said before, maybe they feel he can be a high leverage reliever but nothing in his stat line seems to suggest that to be the case. Instead of trying the square peg round hole method, just go get a better player. 

This offseason shouldn’t be about dumpster diving at all. It should be about adding legit pieces, the exact pieces Elias has publicly stated we need to add.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

This move goes completely against what Elias himself has said he is targeting and wants to do.  So, I’m taking him at his word that he recognizes what the team needs and this move is the complete opposite of what he has said.

Now, as I said before, maybe they feel he can be a high leverage reliever but nothing in his stat line seems to suggest that to be the case. Instead of trying the square peg round hole method, just go get a better player. 

This offseason shouldn’t be about dumpster diving at all. It should be about adding legit pieces, the exact pieces Elias has publicly stated we need to add.

I don’t think this move (if it even happens) precludes Elias from doing what he said he wants to do.  Sometimes the lower priority moves happen earlier than the higher priority ones do because that’s when an opportunity arises.  

Saying that, Elias did make it clear that he didn’t know if he’d be successful in landing a top 1-3 starter.  So, a move like this could be seen as an insurance policy in case he’s unsuccessful.  But I don’t think making this move (1) gives him less incentive to try to upgrade the top part of the rotation or (2) precludes him from doing it.  If he doesn’t land someone, he wasn’t going to land someone regardless of this move.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think this move (if it even happens) precludes Elias from doing what he said he wants to do.  Sometimes the lower priority moves happen earlier than the higher priority ones do because that’s when an opportunity arises.  

Saying that, Elias did make it clear that he didn’t know if he’d be successful in landing a top 1-3 starter.  So, a move like this could be seen as an insurance policy in case he’s unsuccessful.  But I don’t think making this move (1) gives him less incentive to try to upgrade the top part of the rotation or (2) precludes him from doing it.  If he doesn’t land someone, he wasn’t going to land someone regardless of this move.  

Agree 100%. If Elias sees something with his peripherals he likes, it could just be an insurance policy that gives us added incentive to offload a few backend guys in another move.

I do think Elias is targeting a TOR on top of this and I think it's obvious that we won't be seeking one in Free Agency.

I'm extremely hesitant to doubt Elias' ability to find low cost value based on his current track record, IMO.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No one said it stops him from doing anything else. It’s just not necessary to make a move like this now. 

You aren’t hurting for depth. You only have so many roster spots available. 

The focus should be on the publicly stated goals and what this team truly needs.

The only way this move is defensible is they believe there is something about him that says high leverage reliever. Otherwise, if they made this move, it’s just not what this team needs or should be focusing on.

Edited by Sports Guy