Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

38 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Atlanta Ohtani interest is one of the stories being spun today so far - I'd guess there that ATL may be asking Getz if he can hold until that outcome becomes known.

Ohtani's 2025 return would dovetail with Fried's free agency after 2024 to be the 1-2 punch with Strider.     

I don't think the Braves are looking to add that much payroll. 

Even though their payroll is around $200m their CBT is much closer to $250m with all the extentions they have.  So without adding payroll they will be well into the tax threshold, if they were to add $50m in salary it would cost them roughly $20 extra in penalties or more (every year) unless they shed payroll below the threshold.

EG: first link shows how adding $30m after yesterday's trade would trigger $16.5m in penalties

https://talkintomahawk.com/2023/12/04/braves-trade-payroll-cbt-luxury-tax/

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Looks like the Braves are going to flip Gonzales after they just acquired him. So the Braves are not out of the Cease sweepstakes after all. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/braves-trade-rumors-marco-gonzales.html

Interesting, so it is basically Kelenic for salary relief. Gonzalez and White were making $20M between the two of them, with negative WAR last year. 

1 minute ago, Orioles0615 said:

Every year the winter meetings get more and more boring. Its been a day and half and nothing has happened yet throughout the whole league.  Guess Ohtani is holding every team up.  Feel like it used to be deals were happening every half hour and you couldn't stop refreshing twitter. 

I mean the Brewers just signed Wade Miley and Joe Ross. Not sure what else you could be looking for.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Every year the winter meetings get more and more boring. Its been a day and half and nothing has happened yet throughout the whole league.  Guess Ohtani is holding every team up.  Feel like it used to be deals were happening every half hour and you couldn't stop refreshing twitter. 

I agree, it's annoying. Everyone is so careful now, there's a lot more due diligence, a lot more money involved, etc. And always one or two big names holding everything up.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You call it typical BS manager talk when it fits your agenda but now the manager saying they’re going to take a long look at him in ST has some substance?  LOL

I don’t think he’ll be down until August.  I also don’t think he has much chance of making the OD lineup no matter how well he hits this spring.  They are going to take a long look and then send him down at least long enough for the extra year of service time while they evaluate Westburg and maybe Ortiz or while Urias keeps a spot warm for him.

It depends on what we have on the roster.  Right now Urias, Mateo, Ortiz, and Norby are all still here.  Holliday is down until the Super Two cutoff in mid June.  

19 hours ago, Snutchy said:

That place is massive. These pictures don’t even do it justice. They have riverboat tours inside. I was very lucky to have my stay comped because I was in a very expensive room  IMG_7710.thumb.jpeg.3813525328165f84d50617351320981b.jpegIMG_7689.thumb.jpeg.04e92573f64e275ffede402d7cf06221.jpeg

Cool place. We went to eat at a restaurant in the Orlando Gaylord and that was impressive as well. They're like little villages with a hotel attached.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he makes the team but it’s far more likely he makes the team than they give him the Gunnar treatment.  

I disagree. Unless there's a need at either shortstop or 2B this year, I think he gets the Gunnar treatment (Aug 31st). I expect Mayo has a better chance to make OD lineup than Holliday. Mayo will be there rookie of the year candidate in 2024, Holliday in 2025.

36 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

The whole winter meetings has now just become a boondoggle for everyone involved. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

No one has any idea what's going on. Two tweets with completely different messages at roughly the same time.

Well you couldn't have picked two worse people hahaha. Heyman is an idiot, but at least has a job as a real sports writer, I guess. Clark is literally a fraud with a twitter account who people continue to believe is a sports journalist. 

So in this case, I guess believe Heyman. If anything he's more likely to be right about Ohtani NOT deciding just because it's a more logical take. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1