Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

11 minutes ago, Br10n said:

If people think the wallet will be wide open under the new regime they will be sadly disappointed.  It will be business as usual. 

I don’t think any of us expect they’ll suddenly let become the Yankees but it’s reasonable to think that payroll would go up under new ownership. 

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The ground work for the "long rebuild" has already been done. The next owner of the team (if it's Rubenstein) will get to inherit an ideal situation (a lot of young assets + an ultra low payroll = lots of options).

That's exactly why I imagine it would be so tempting for him at his age.  This is a plug and play contending franchise-how often are sports franchises sold while on top-not many and that's why I think they'll sell at a premium to their valuation.  He's also a BASEBALL fan something I'm not of with JA.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t remember it being that crystal clear.

“According to MASN’s Roch Kubatko, other candidates for the position included former major-league GMs Ned Colletti and Ben Cherington, current MLB employees Peter Woodford and Tyrone Brooks, Royals assistant GM Scott Sharp, Phillies assistant GM Ned Rice, and Tigers assistant GM David Chadd, who removed himself from consideration prior to the final decision.”

I will give Angelos credit for hiring Elias.  

Maybe not "crystal" clear, as you put it, but the obvious choice was a young up and coming underling of a recently successful org that had rebuilt or, maybe, refurbed its farm into one of the top examples thru spend-thriftiness with the pedigree of a Cardinal...  Elias was the guy almost everyone thought we needed.  Luckily it panned out as many had hoped and it wasn't more sh!t on the shoes of the Angelosi.

24 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I don’t think any of us expect they’ll suddenly let become the Yankees but it’s reasonable to think that payroll would go up under new ownership. 

Nothing in this guys history says he will do anything but bleed every dollar out what he buys to enrich himself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

"What motivation would Rubenstein have for letting Elias move on or encouraging it?  That makes no sense to me.  He's likely pushing to buy harder now knowing the arc that Elias and Co. have created and continue to create."

This. The man can certainly see who the architect of this team is, and I would think would want to keep him here at all costs. And as far as Elias goes, he would probably be at the front of the line to welcome an owner such as this.

32 minutes ago, Br10n said:

If people think the wallet will be wide open under the new regime they will be sadly disappointed.  It will be business as usual. 

This and This!

There's no motivation for a GM change with new ownership.  The surge is why the buy is even more appealing and how it was accomplished .  We're not suddenly just going to throw money in FA and shiny new toys.  We're a rising stock with a high trajectory w/o any of the crazy spending.

The sadness in all of this could be whether the Angelosi value it too high and scuttle the whole "a new day is dawning" feeling for all of us long suffering Oriole die-hards.  lol

5 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

This and This!

There's no motivation for a GM change with new ownership.  The surge is why the buy is even more appealing and how it was accomplished .  We're not suddenly just going to throw money in FA and shiny new toys.  We're a rising stock with a high trajectory w/o any of the crazy spending.

The sadness in all of this could be whether the Angelosi value it too high and scuttle the whole "a new day is dawning" feeling for all of us long suffering Oriole die-hards.  lol

If Rubbenstein wants a winner he may be encouraged to spend. I’m not expecting a $200 million payroll. If he authorized a couple signings that were not of the thrifty variety I’d be happy.

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

My bigger concern is getting another incapacitated owner, and this guy is 75 years old, so it's only a matter of time.

You’ve stated this multiple times in this thread, but it’s have it on good authority that Rubenstein has a steady diet of baby’s blood and probably has another 60-70 years in him.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Maybe not "crystal" clear, as you put it, but the obvious choice was a young up and coming underling of a recently successful org that had rebuilt or, maybe, refurbed its farm into one of the top examples thru spend-thriftiness with the pedigree of a Cardinal...  Elias was the guy almost everyone thought we needed.  Luckily it panned out as many had hoped and it wasn't more sh!t on the shoes of the Angelosi.

So was Tony LaCava. In fairness, Antholopolous (sp?) was another everyone wanted. He's done ok in Atlanta.

48 minutes ago, Br10n said:

Nothing in this guys history says he will do anything but bleed every dollar out what he buys to enrich himself. 

Not saying you're wrong, but sports teams often stand out as different for owners. The fan comes out. It's not all about business. Not saying that'll be the case, but there's a chance it will.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hmmm…

- He’s pledged to give half his fortune to charity 

- He gave $9 mm to the National Zoo for its panda pavillion

- He gave $20 mm to the National Gallery of Art

- He gave $10.5 mm to refurbish the Washington Monument

- He gave $50 mm to the Kennedy Center

- He gave $10 mm to build a library at Mount Vernon (George Washington’s home)

- He gave $20 mm to rebuild buildings at Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello 

- He donated $12 mm to Arlington National Cemetery

- He gave $28.5 mm to the National Parks Foundation 

- He gave $25 mm to the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

- He gave $10 mm to the Library of Congress 

- He’s given more than $100 mm to Duke University

- He’s given more than $46 mm to University of Chicago Law School

- He’s given $60 mm to the Harvard Kennedy School

- He gave $30 mm to the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine

- He gave $15 mm to PBS

- He’s given $15 mm to the US Holocaust Museum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rubenstein

But right, “nothing in his history says he will do anything but bleed every dollar out what he buys to enrich himself.”

So you're saying he's a tax dodger? Damn 1%ers and their low tax rates.