MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is that a thing?

Can a guy go from a HoF player to not making it by hanging on to long?

I can't think of anyone I'd put in that group off the top of my head.

I'm not sure any clear examples of this either. I do think Votto is a borderline type, unlike the examples Moose mentioned who were slam dunks. In my original draft of that post I mentioned that maybe it's more of a delay than a dealbreaker-- his AVG/OBP skill is his carrying tool, and at least some voters may consider a .294 AVG different enough from a .302 that they vote for him a couple years later than they would have. 

Helton getting in, and Mauer getting in first ballot, are both good indicators for Votto. 

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm not sure any clear examples of this either. I do think Votto is a borderline type, unlike the examples Moose mentioned who were slam dunks. In my original draft of that post I mentioned that maybe it's more of a delay than a dealbreaker-- his AVG/OBP skill is his carrying tool, and at least some voters may consider a .294 AVG different enough from a .302 that they vote for him a couple years later than they would have. 

Helton getting in, and Mauer getting in first ballot, are both good indicators for Votto. 

Dale Murphy?

If he had retired at 33 or 34, his numbers would have been better.

I don't believe a great ballplayer can lose a Hall of Fame career caliber achievement lingering like Miguel Cabrera, but it can mess up their rate stats if they care about such things.

Clayton Kershaw for instance right now leads Curt Schlling 79.9-79.5 on B-Ref's numbers in a counting stat that can go backwards.      He has double Jacob deGrom's career Innings Pitched, and leads him 157-155 in ERA+.      Who knows what is holding his shoulder together these days?

Miguel Cabrera's 140 OPS+ sits 83rd all-time.    2017-2023 he added 2800 PA of below replacement level performance, and collected 53% of his career salary during those years.    The first 9000 PA were 155 OPS+.    Now he "only" rests next to Chipper Jones instead of Hank Aaron or Willie Mays.     

Juan Soto for now clear of decline phase inputs is there where Miggy used to be at a mid -150's OPS+ with Hank and Willie, though all those guys lag Aaron Judge and Mike Trout.

• Upvote 2

That note does make me wonder how hometown connected Snell is and if that is part of the hold up.    Snelll grew up in Seattle during the Ichiro and Felix years, and as we learned with the King Felix kerfuffle back at the All-Star game, Seattle can get extra fired up about its icons.

It would be a force flow of baseball talent wise as Dipoto already has a nice back of the rotation with Miller and Woo behind already three of the best starters in the league.

Even though I very much don't wish Gerrit Cole to fulfill any childhood Yankee Fan Forever dreams, I do think it is nice when great players have some of their hearts in the laundry.     We need to get Mike Trout on to the Phillies, and I do feel like Dave Dombrowski is just the man to make it happen.

3 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Mancini to the Marlins. He'll compete for a bench spot.

Mancini over Nevin would’ve made sense if you only for 40 man roster space. However, Mancini around Baltimore has Tebow syndrome. He’s too beloved and too big around here to be a backup or AAA depth. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'm resisting the urge to do a spreadsheet of if he could go 0-for-700 and still have Helton's OPS+.

The Mauer moment is kind of interesting with Posey a few years out, and us cheering Adley now.      If you peak seven 6-win seasons, are you good?    Shohei Ohtani already a Hall of Famer if he never plays another game?

I had a chuckle at one take that Mauer going first ballot may have been helped in part by "Coastal Elites" who just know know know they are voting for Buster Posey in a minute because big media markets + 3 good outcomes of the great roulette wheel, and thought it'd be odd if they didn't do the same for the "Heartland" guy with a 0-21 career October record.

I think after watching Adley, I feel like the intangibles that a great catcher can bring are really underrated due to their career lengths and the way that WAR accumulated.

I’m also generally pro the guys who were the best in the league for like, 5-7 years getting in. I don’t think a long career with a few great years like Jack Morris is as hall worthy as a guy who was elite in the shorter term like Johan Santana

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

That note does make me wonder how hometown connected Snell is and if that is part of the hold up.    Snelll grew up in Seattle during the Ichiro and Felix years, and as we learned with the King Felix kerfuffle back at the All-Star game, Seattle can get extra fired up about its icons.

It would be a force flow of baseball talent wise as Dipoto already has a nice back of the rotation with Miller and Woo behind already three of the best starters in the league.

Even though I very much don't wish Gerrit Cole to fulfill any childhood Yankee Fan Forever dreams, I do think it is nice when great players have some of their hearts in the laundry.     We need to get Mike Trout on to the Phillies, and I do feel like Dave Dombrowski is just the man to make it happen.

Snell and Cowser or Woo?  

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Snell and Cowser or Woo?  

Wait, it's been a long day and I'm addled by alcohol, but are you SERIOUSLY suggesting we could get Woo for Cowser straight up and keep the $25-30 move over  4-5 years Snell would cost (John-boy is rolling on the floor of the Warehouse over that) or did I completely miss the point???????😧 

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Wait, it's been a long day and I'm addled by alcohol, but are you SERIOUSLY suggesting we could get Woo for Cowser straight up and keep the $25-30 move over  4-5 years Snell would cost (John-boy is rolling on the floor of the Warehouse over that) or did I completely miss the point???????😧 

I’m not saying we sign Snell. Follow the posts.  😁

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not saying we sign Snell. Follow the posts.  😁

OK, I thought I was following all the active threads but I'm obviously missing the context here so I'll declare myself mentally altered at the mo and I'll quietly bow out, have another and toddle off to bed. lol  Carry on, keep moving along, nothing to see....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2