MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Thorpe, Iriate, Zavala, and major leaguer Steve Wilson.  

Thorpe is like 85th ranked-ish. Iriarte was back of their top-10 or so. Wilson's stat line looks a lot like Jacob Webb's.

I think the Orioles equivalent is something like Ortiz, Povich, Webb, Thomas Sosa

I guess they really wanted pitching we didn't have, because that return isn't that amazing.

Edited by ChosenOne21

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Two pretty good pitching prospects, an average-ish 29 year old reliever, and a 19-year-old international lottery ticket outfielder. Doesn't seem worlds better than what we likely offered.

MLB.com has Thorpe #85 as the only top 100. Zacala and Iriarte are two highly talented int’l players. They also get a RH reliever with options.

It still seems like some combo of Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, Beavers, and Povich, could’ve gotten a deal done. 

The Padres package has more upside though. Arguably. 

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Thorpe is like 85th ranked-ish. Iriarte was back of their top-10 or so. Wilson's stat line looks a lot like Jacob Webb's.

I think the Orioles equivalent is something like Ortiz, Povich, Webb, Thomas Sosa

I guess they really wanted pitching we didn't have, because that return isn't that amazing.

We have some pitching, but I'm guessing Elias wasn't willing to trade 2 or 3 of Povich/McDermott/Johnson -- and/or Kremer/Wells -- that sort of thing.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

We have some pitching, but I'm guessing Elias wasn't willing to trade 2 or 3 of Povich/McDermott/Johnson -- and/or Kremer/Wells -- that sort of thing.

Agreed. Os just didn’t want him that badly I don’t think. I feel pretty confident they weren’t offering any of their top 5 prospects, at any point during these negotiations.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

They thought they were getting Cowser/Kjerstad and Mayo+. Lol, Clownshoes over there.

They did get 3 of San Diego's Top 10 prospects, Thorpe being a Top 100 prospect.  But they didn't get either of SD's top 2 pitching prospects: Snelling and Lesko.

White Sox fans cried because, reportedly, our top 5 we're off limits.   Now the highest rated guy in the deal is the Padres #5 guy.  They said they wanted quality over quantity and they got quantity.    Now watch the spin from the Sox posters.

• Upvote 1

Sox fans are trying to talk themselves into the idea that this is a good trade. 

The 2 headliners are top 75 by FG. Thorpe 85 with MLB. Law has neither. Not sure about BA.

Extremely underwhelming imo compared to what they were saying Cease was worth.

They scoffed at the idea of a quantity package. They scoffed at the idea that they would get a ML player in return. I told them that getting a Intl lottery ticket would be a good piece..they scoffed. They were completely wrong every step of the way on this.

The report was that the Os offered the Burnes deal plus another player for Cease. That deal is equal to or better than what they got, depending on who that other player is. (I had guessed beavers but who knows)

Just hilarious.

Also irritated the Os didn’t match or beat this but maybe they wanted that pitching. 

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

White Sox fans cried because, reportedly, our top 5 we're off limits.   Now the highest rated guy in the deal is the Padres #5 guy.  They said they wanted quality over quantity and they got quantity.    Now watch the spin from the Sox posters.

Chicago White Sox fan will be saying Zavala is equal to Basallo. They are going through the stages of denial over there about this being a great package.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

White Sox fans cried because, reportedly, our top 5 were off limits.   Now the highest rated guy in the deal is the Padres #5 guy.  They said they wanted quality over quantity and they got quantity.    Now watch the spin from the Sox posters.

I‘ve been snooping over there for the last hour or so. They’re mostly underwhelmed. They felt better once Zavala was involved but he’s obviously still not in line with where many of their expectations were.

I hope Joey Ortiz has a great career for a number of reasons, with one definitely being that it’ll haunt some of their worst posters. 

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I‘ve been snooping over there for the last hour or so. They’re mostly underwhelmed. They felt better once Zavala was involved but he’s obviously still not in line with where many of their expectations were.

I hope Joey Ortiz has a great career for a number of reasons, with one definitely being that it’ll haunt some of their worst posters. 

Imagine the White Sox tears if too old, not good enough Ortiz is NL ROY.

• Haha 1